List Mgmt. 2020 Trade Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Current no. of players on the list
Senior list - 34 (2-4 free*)
Rookie (Cat A) - 4 (0-2 free*)
Rookie (Cat B) - 2 (0 free)
Maximum list size of 44. Up to 36-38 senior list, 4-6 category A rookie list and 2 category B rookie list.
* Total of four list spots available, with a minimum of 2 senior list spots needing to be utilised.

List changes
IN: Daniher, Cockatoo, Uosis (R)
OUT: Christensen, Wooller, Allison (R), Skinner (R), Eagles (R), C. Lyons (R), Martin, Witherden, Cox, Hinge.
PROMOTED: Fullarton.
ROOKIED: Birchall, Mathieson, Ballendan.

Current picks
25, 53, 58, 69, 70
(2021 - 1st (MEL), 1st, 3rd (WCE), 3rd, 4th (MEL), 4th (COLL), 5th)

Useful links
2020 trade news compendium
List changes, contract status and key dates
2020 draft discussion thread

Last edited:
I think we need to take it one game at a time.

We've done nuthin yet except be contenders.
Agree, but it feels ggod.
I have been very pleased with this year and of course surprised with last year, but our players have virtually slept in their beds for the entire season except for a few games, and we have played a lot of games at the GABBA or just down the M1. I also think at some stage next year there is probably a hub again because this virus will still be around next footy season. It is certain that the club is no longer second rate and will be in the finals for many years, right up their again next year, especially IF there is another QLD Hub.

Reports of Essendon unrest is not grossly exaggerated.

From a good source these players all want out, whether they will get out or not is the question, because many are contracted:

Walla
Merrett
Hooker
Hurley
Ambrose
Stringer
Smith

It's mostly to do with the vision of the club that they were sold, which is no longer happening of course. The consistent theme from the players and managers is that Richardson and Rutten are the big problems.

Langford, Ridley and McGrath have all re-signed though. All the players are well off Rutten and Richardson, with the exception of Dylan Shiel (who I've heard isn't the best bloke), the rest of the players hate him.

Essendon are in trouble as much as North. I'd argue as much as we were a few years ago.
Some of these guys are very close or into their 30's, Hooker is 32 next week, so might be trying to chase one big final contract, but I think due to his age Hooker might find if challenging to get anything longer than a year at another club. IF they want out those guys in their 30's should be shown the door and Essendon have to realise they are then in the rebuild phase, recruit from the draft (although compromised) develop some of their youth, and recruit a mixture of youth and some mature players who are seeking opportunities at AFL level. Importantly tell their fans they are in a rebuild.

Now Devon Smith isn't happy at Essendon. Some people reckon we need one more A grade mid to complete us, would Smith fit the bill?

I’m very big into SuperCoach and started with Smith in my side this year, so I’ve kept a pretty close eye on him. The trouble with Dev (IMO) is that he does a lot of dumb and ill disciplined things on the field. Late bumps, silly frees, some dirty acts behind the play etc. Would be extremely frustrating to watch as a supporter. His main strength is his elite tackling skills (dropped off a bit in the last 2 years though) but don’t see a lot of strengths outside of that. He may have had an A grade season in 2018, but his form this year would suggest B-C grade at best. For what we would have to give up, a HUGE no from me.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Reports of Essendon unrest is not grossly exaggerated.

From a good source these players all want out, whether they will get out or not is the question, because many are contracted:

Walla
Merrett
Hooker
Hurley
Ambrose
Stringer
Smith

It's mostly to do with the vision of the club that they were sold, which is no longer happening of course. The consistent theme from the players and managers is that Richardson and Rutten are the big problems.

Langford, Ridley and McGrath have all re-signed though. All the players are well off Rutten and Richardson, with the exception of Dylan Shiel (who I've heard isn't the best bloke), the rest of the players hate him.

Essendon are in trouble as much as North. I'd argue as much as we were a few years ago.
Fantastic news! :)

You would of thought Brad Crouch would be our guy if we needed a A grade midfielder. He would cost us around $500,000.

On SM-J810Y using BigFooty.com mobile app

Definitely not an A-grader. Has one of the worst kicks in the AFL, and is also probably one of the poorest decision makers. Can find the footy, but his impact on the game is minimal at best, and his clangers/turnovers absolutely kill Adelaide going the other way.

Definitely not an A-grader. Has one of the worst kicks in the AFL, and is also probably one of the poorest decision makers. Can find the footy, but his impact on the game is minimal at best, and his clangers/turnovers absolutely kill Adelaide going the other way.

And too slow.

If Smith was a guy who got the footy 25 times a game and had some outstanding attributes, you could overlook his obvious shortcomings, but he averages 18 disposals a game across his career. Being a good tackler just won't cut it.

Ch7 just said they have trade news on DeGoey after the game...Essendon have been into him with his dad having played there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carlton seems to be the talk. Paper bags and all.

I just don't see how that's possible unless someone like Cripps is leaving. I know they've got some old guys retiring or due to retire soon but how do you bring in Williams, Saad and DeGoey in one trade period?

I just don't see how that's possible unless someone like Cripps is leaving. I know they've got some old guys retiring or due to retire soon but how do you bring in Williams, Saad and DeGoey in one trade period?

They can take them all and send SPS to us if they want?

G'day Pulpdriver, I think it's got something to do with us only using 95% of our cap for a couple years so now we can use 105% for a couple. Something like that. I struggle to keep up with it tbh lol

On a side note, I'm barracking for you boys to take out the flag this year 👌 certainly deserve it 👍

G'day Pulpdriver, I think it's got something to do with us only using 95% of our cap for a couple years so now we can use 105% for a couple. Something like that. I struggle to keep up with it tbh lol

On a side note, I'm barracking for you boys to take out the flag this year 👌 certainly deserve it 👍

If you guys have managed it to a spot where you can bring in those three in one trade period then kudos. Sensational work. Don't blame us if we bring out paper bag references for a while after it happens though, mate :p

If you guys have managed it to a spot where you can bring in those three in one trade period then kudos. Sensational work. Don't blame us if we bring out paper bag references for a while after it happens though, mate :p
Haha all good mate, fact is we did it so no offence taken from me 😂
I really hope we don't go for DeGoey, I know he can impact games but it's one in every 6 or 7. We already have McGovern for that 😂

Just finished reading the article on Lyons in the Roster watch. It struck me that there are parallels between Lyons and Witherden. I have been trying to come to terms with how I would feel if Witherden was traded. Both are not quick, but they both have that innate ability to find the ball, which is a rare and important football skill.

i just worry that if we trade him For a late second in a compromised draft, in ten years we will be reading a similar story about the one that got away. I would prefer he stayed on the list.

also he has done the right thing by the club and seems a nice enough young bloke.

Heard a whisper that we are into polec. Watch this space. From a reliable source (or at least has been reliable before).

I'm anti - I lose interest when a player goes to a third club, wonder about their buy in. Of course Lyons ruins that theory.

You would of thought Brad Crouch would be our guy if we needed a A grade midfielder. He would cost us around $500,000.

On SM-J810Y using BigFooty.com mobile app
Can't see the Lions taking a player that will miss the first two games next year because of a drug possession

People need to come to terms with the fact that players will leave and go on to have successful careers elsewhere. If you are finishing top 4 and pushing for a flag your list is typically in great shape, and fringe players will either get poached from other teams offering far better money, or will move to play more regular footy.

This is normal, this will happen and it isn't a reflection of poor list management. It is a reflection of a strong list. What is important is that we use the leaving players to keep supplementing our list and bringing in young talent.

Witherden is the focus of a lot of talk, but ultimately it doesn't really matter. I highly doubt we are looking to get rid of him, but on the flipside if a player him left he haven't lost anything from our current performances.

We have a great young list supported by some fantastic older players. We will have a bunch of guys finish up over the next 5 years, Zorko, Rich, Stef, Birchall, Robbo. These are great players that will need replacing, so if we have the ability to add talent now, we should be looking at it. We certainly can't sit on our hands because maybe a Witho might decide to leave. You need your 22 the best it can be with players down to 30 good enough to play.

It has been a long time since losing talented players is somewhat of a positive thing, but we need to change the mindset.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back