Free Agency Jarrod Brander - signs with GWS as a DFA

Remove this Banner Ad

What would the most opposition fans would be willing to give up?

a) 20-25
b) 25-30
c) 30-35
d) 35-40
e) 40-50
f) 50+
I'd be leaning towards d. Not sure the Eagles would be too happy with offers around that mark but he hasn't shown enough for me at AFL level to think he'd be much closer to where he was drafted. Eagles would be best to try for player swaps over picks if Brander did go

Well Sweet Jesus seems to think they can get Jordan Clark by bundling fourth rounders together and not including any players .... I reckon Geelong should trade picks 54, 58, 64, 67 and 82 for Brander.

Seems to be fair.

Well Sweet Jesus seems to think they can get Jordan Clark by bundling fourth rounders together and not including any players .... I reckon Geelong should trade picks 54, 58, 64, 67 and 82 for Brander.

Seems to be fair.
There is a reason SJ in banned from our board and its not that he is annoying its because he is bat s**t crazy

We should forget about Gunston and go for Brander instead.

Paying anything more than a 1st round pick for a 29/29+ year old player has rarely, rarely worked...

Maybe one of our picks in the 30s could work (34/38)?

We should forget about Gunston and go for Brander instead.

Paying anything more than a 1st round pick for a 29/29+ year old player has rarely, rarely worked...

Maybe one of our picks in the 30s could work (34/38)?
I'd be disappointed if the club did that deal. If we're trading Brander for picks, I'd be more inclined to package him with pick 30 and seek the best possible upgrade.

Seems to be fair.

Im sorry but can you kindly explain to us just how Jordan Clark has maintained or increased his draft value compared to Brander who has decreased.

Clark has shown glimpses last year and unfortunately nothing in his second year.

So how is Clarks value increasing?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im sorry but can you kindly explain to us just how Jordan Clark has maintained or increased his draft value compared to Brander who has decreased.

Clark has shown glimpses last year and unfortunately nothing in his second year.

So how is Clarks value increasing?
Clark has shown AFL quality at times. And lets be honest, people get a bit more excited with run and carry players than they should.

Brander, on the other hand, has shown to be well below AFL level. He looks Cale Morton levels of soft running around on the wing. Still has time but will want to start to develop very soon or will not be on an AFL list in a couple of years. Needs to be played CHF or CHB to develop any sort of value and he wont get that at West Coast

Clark is now still worth more than Brander. Brander for SPS could very much be a win win trade.
Brander plus 2021 second rounder for Clark could also be a win win trade.
Narkle for 2021 third rounder would also help.

We coast need smalls with talent to build out our list between 22 and 30. Our best 22 when on the park all together is as good if not better than anyone other club in the league. You take a couple of players away and our depth is horrendous.

Pick up langdon for chips from GWS, Enquire about Matt Guelfi and pick up Alec Waterman through the SSP period and we could in theory have 5 or 6 players who would very much build that space and push up for spots in the 22.

Clark has shown AFL quality at times. And lets be honest, people get a bit more excited with run and carry players than they should.

Brander, on the other hand, has shown to be well below AFL level. He looks Cale Morton levels of soft running around on the wing. Still has time but will want to start to develop very soon or will not be on an AFL list in a couple of years. Needs to be played CHF or CHB to develop any sort of value and he wont get that at West Coast

OK, so really you having nothing substantial to actually back up your opinion.

Clark has shown AFL qualities at times? But absolutely nothing in his 2nd year. Zip. Nothing. Zero!

So Clark has shown glimpses of AFL qualities in his 1st season and nothing in his 2nd. So in the eyes of Cats supporters his value increased in 2020? WOW!

I would argue Brander has also shown 'glimpses' of AFL quality as well. I could go and drum up a little highlight package of Brander showing glimpses.

If you are going to set guidelines on how you value a player its not unfair to ask to apply the same guidelines to other players is it?

Clark is now still worth more than Brander. Brander for SPS could very much be a win win trade.
Brander plus 2021 second rounder for Clark could also be a win win trade.
Narkle for 2021 third rounder would also help.

We coast need smalls with talent to build out our list between 22 and 30. Our best 22 when on the park all together is as good if not better than anyone other club in the league. You take a couple of players away and our depth is horrendous.

Pick up langdon for chips from GWS, Enquire about Matt Guelfi and pick up Alec Waterman through the SSP period and we could in theory have 5 or 6 players who would very much build that space and push up for spots in the 22.

How about the Eagles keep Brander and play him in his position and see where that takes us. The trade value of Brander right now is likely at the lowest it will ever be. We would get a late 2nd rounder next year in any case.

Let Clark stay at Geelong and if he has another year like 2020 we pick him up for a late 2nd next season. If Clark has another nothing year in 2021 the same as 2020 his value will slide.

People who think Clark's value has increased after showing absolutely nothing in 2020 are dreaming.

If you look at our best 25, the problem is the bottom 5.

Clark and Brander are in different boats.

Clark played 18 games last year. This year he played 3. Fair or otherwise, if he's good enough to play last year people will question why he barely played this year. He was probably injured at some stage and there is no meaningful reserves this year. But if he played 3 games last year and 18 this year (or 14/15 adjusting for the short season) then there would be zero rumblings about 'out of favour' and 'wants to leave' etc. that lazy journos run with.

Brander played 1 game in his first year, 2 last year and 8 this year. Talls generally take longer but for whatever reason we drafted 3 forwards and are playing 195cm Brander on a wing, 192cm Allen in the ruck and 191cm Waterman in a HF role. Of those 3 I think only Waterman is playing a role that suits him long term. You could say Brander is tracking OK and is on track to play more games in 2021 but there's no guarantee of that. With Josh Kennedy going around again we will be playing Josh Kennedy and Jack Darling every week if they are fit. I think Brander has more potential to be a key forward at AFL level than Waterman, but Waterman fits the current setup as a half forward better. And if we keep going with Allen as the second ruck then it makes it hard for Bailey Williams to get a run also. Even if Kennedy only plays 15 games or something next year then Brander playing half a dozen games spread out across the year won't help his development. Unless we get injuries I can see us going into 2022 with Brander having barely played at AFL level in 4 years thrust into a key forward role, or buggering off.

WC would bite Carlton's hand off accepting that I reckon...I know I would.

Let me explain my reason -

1. There had previously been rumours of SPS going back to W.A.
2. SPS hasn't been afforded midfield minutes and was pushed back, where he hasn't been of maximum value and will now likely be pushed forward.
If things don't pan out forward, what's next?
3. The big if is; If the CFC see Brander as a possible Jones replacement for the backline, things could get interesting.
We have no back-up KPD's and there's little doubt we'll be heavily invested in finding young, but ready to go players for this post.

There's always the temptation to hang onto talent, but one has to look at needs as the priority.

I don't think Brander has the capability to stand under or crash packs, or at least he hasn't demonstrated this yet. He is ridiculously clean below his knees for his size, his kicking is fine for his size and he has demonstrated that he can take some good marks floating in from the side of a pack. Unfortunately this year he has shown some squib tendencies which is not what you want from a player trying to nail a spot in the 22.

Personally I would like to see him trialed as a defender or as a third tall if JK ends up being cooked as the wing experiment hasn't worked in my opinion. He is not good enough on the spread or with his tackling pressure which really isn't surprising considering his height. The problem is that we are well stocked for KPD's and KPF's so getting that opportunity will continue to be difficult unless injuries occur. Very tricky player to judge, good luck trying to find his correct value.

Last edited:
We could get narkle without trading brander .
It is a big discussion point on our board that brander was played as a tall flanker/winger because we wanted to get games into him but to the detriment of developing him as a KPP which is his preferred role.

I want to keep brander as he is required post Kennedy but he needs to earn a spot not just given it

This just sounds like fan speculation for an excuse. Get games into him doesn't improve him, playing him In his preferred spot might, I think the Eagles coaching committee might be a bit smarter than you give them credit for. Not much development sitting on a wing watching the ball fly over your head each way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back