Recommitted Kai Lohmann [Re-signed with Brisbane]

Remove this Banner Ad

Small forward is one of the hardest positions to play on the ground particularly early in you career, there are not many Charlie Cameron's or Eddie Betts's around.

FWIW I would much prefer he stays with us.... if he goes the best we are going to get IMO is a pick in the mid 30s unfortunately.
I'd pay that. We'd probably offer a future pick(s) first due to the FS issue this year.

There's every chance that Essendon make a higher $$$ offer though as they seem to have more cap space, especially with BZT off the books.

He was yes before brisbane took him first. Im not sure we would be as keen now we have ollie henry and dempsey though as all three of them are similar player types (i do like lohmann though).
Henry is more of a medium forward than a small forward. Similar to role Rohan plays. Dempsey is depth and will continue to be so for the foreseeable future.

But yeah he’s not playing in front of: Close (defensive pocket)
Stengle (crumbing pocket)
Gryan (high half forward role)
Jez and Hawk (KPF)
Henry/Rohan (medium forwards)

That’s 6 spots plus a bench spot.

Don’t see where Lohmann fits in?

Perhaps, but being OOC does.

Maybe, but I think we can hold the line for a certain pick and we'll get it - especially this year.

It appears to be an average to poor draft (only around 50 expected to get drafted) according to draft experts who know way more than me. I'll take a guess where Lohmann will go in open draft this year. It certainly won't be a pick in 40s.

I'd pay that. We'd probably offer a future pick(s) first due to the FS issue this year.

There's every chance that Essendon make a higher $$$ offer though as they seem to have more cap space, especially with BZT off the books.

With Essendon we could at least hope for some goodwill after that Daniher Band 1 package bump last time.

I don't have high hopes with Dogs, you'll be still out to even the Dunkley trade.

Maybe, but I think we can hold the line for a certain pick and we'll get it - especially this year.

It appears to be an average to poor draft (only around 50 expected to get drafted) according to draft experts who know way more than me. I'll take a guess where Lohmann will go in open draft this year. It certainly won't be a pick in 40s.

Have your second rounder back and throw us 55 with Lohman. Both should move up a bit after the Suns match bids.

With Essendon we could at least hope for some goodwill after that Daniher Band 1 package bump last time.

I don't have high hopes with Dogs, you'll be still out to even the Dunkley trade.
If we turn BZT into 37 and change I'd be open to 37 for him tbh. He's handy from the bits I've seen of him.

Have your second rounder back and throw us 55 with Lohman. Both should move up a bit after the Suns match bids.

Isn't there some rule around not allowed to get our own pick back in a trade? Need to check about getting 36 back but I agree it'll move up with Suns bid match and would be around the mark for trade.

Isn't there some rule around not allowed to get our own pick back in a trade? Need to check about getting 36 back but I agree it'll move up with Suns bid match and would be around the mark for trade.
Yep you can’t trade picks back directly although I am unclear if you can indirectly I.e involve a third club with similar picks to get around it. Like all things AFL we should encourage the trade and then they will react and create another well thought out rule change!

It's only blocked on draft night to stop teams getting around bids.

Future pick makes sense for us I think (FS next year). Future 2 for future 3 maybe? We won't get return on investment but that's to be expected.

The idea that he's average because he hasn't pushed out any of the senior players is very funny - he's up against Bailey, Rayner, Charlie Cameron and McCarthy for gametime, none of whom have basically missed a game over the last 2 years. McCarthy is the most 'role' player of that bunch but still kicked 35+ last year and mid 20s this year whilst doing a more defensive job than in previous years.

I think Lohmann will be a good AFL player when he gets a chance. Certainly is far too good for VFL and has the traits you need to be an AFL small-medium forward. He's a bit of an odd fit for the dogs because he's actually quite similar to weightman as he's more a marking type but I'm sure you'd find a way to fit him in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great signing. Brisbane would have been pillaged to give him up for a pick in the 40s. Going to be very good - wouldn’t be surprised if he knocks McCarthy out of the 22 in 2024, or with some positional changes (Zorko out, Rayner further up the ground more often) he gets in that way. He’s coming hard for a spot.

Great signing. Brisbane would have been pillaged to give him up for a pick in the 40s. Going to be very good - wouldn’t be surprised if he knocks McCarthy out of the 22 in 2024, or with some positional changes (Zorko out, Rayner further up the ground more often) he gets in that way. He’s coming hard for a spot.

We've seen with Coleman and Rich that we do occasionally phase out an older player in favour of a younger one (though it may take longer than we would like). Similarly Fletcher and Wilmot have come into the side early, taking positions of players that have been around longer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back