List Mgmt. 2020 Trade Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Current no. of players on the list
Senior list - 34 (2-4 free*)
Rookie (Cat A) - 4 (0-2 free*)
Rookie (Cat B) - 2 (0 free)
Maximum list size of 44. Up to 36-38 senior list, 4-6 category A rookie list and 2 category B rookie list.
* Total of four list spots available, with a minimum of 2 senior list spots needing to be utilised.

List changes
IN: Daniher, Cockatoo, Uosis (R)
OUT: Christensen, Wooller, Allison (R), Skinner (R), Eagles (R), C. Lyons (R), Martin, Witherden, Cox, Hinge.
PROMOTED: Fullarton.
ROOKIED: Birchall, Mathieson, Ballendan.

Current picks
25, 53, 58, 69, 70
(2021 - 1st (MEL), 1st, 3rd (WCE), 3rd, 4th (MEL), 4th (COLL), 5th)

Useful links
2020 trade news compendium
List changes, contract status and key dates
2020 draft discussion thread

Last edited:
Hi everyone, sorry to intrude, especially if the below has already been asked by someone else.

Keen on your thoughts as to what Martin has left in the tank.

We are desperate to support English. Do you think Martin is a good fit in this role for the next year or two? What are his strengths?

Thanks so much for your insights!
He might have half a season left in him.

Can’t play forward, so either English goes forward, or it’s one on the bench and one on the field.

Hi everyone, sorry to intrude, especially if the below has already been asked by someone else.

We are desperate to support English. Do you think Martin is a good fit in this role for the next year or two? What are his strengths?

Honestly mate he really seemed over the hill this year. Was injured though.

He is at his best in the #1 ruck role. Never liked him as a Forward-Ruck, so if he’s coming in to support English I’m not sure if it’d work.

Hope I‘m wrong and Martin plays some good footy for the Dogs, but I really think he’s cooked sadly.

A more professional player you wont find. He has been studying law he aint no dummy, he is dedicated, intelligent, a clean skin, trains hard, looks after himself. A very good guy to have around younger players when you talk of role models. What's left in the tank? well Hodge retired and came back for 2 years and did well managed through those years. Steph could well be the same, playing the games against opposition with monster/good rucks and not travelling when the opposition have lesser rucks.

It was probably the case that Steph sat down with coach Fagan and said, "Hey ****, with Daniher coming and helping out in the ruck in the forward line, ala Tom Hawkins, in all honesty do you see me running onto the ground in the grand final". Fagan says, "In all honesty with everyone fit, you not there". Steph is thinking retirement is close, he has had a chat with Hodgy and he thinks he can get a bit extra in the retirement fund. I think the Doggies will be very happy with him and you wont find a Lions supporter that has a bad word about him. Yep we do think he is not much use in the forward half unless you have someone running around him taking his shots at goal but he does get some good marks down there.

Considering the president of the Bulldogs is senior partner of a very successful law firm it provides Martin with a brilliant opportunity to set himself up for his post football career.
He's now at his own smaller firm, left Slater & Gordon a couple of years back.

Just to further answer the original question:
Biggest strength is his work around the ground. He was Grundy before Grundy was Grundy. Pops up as an extra midfielder and grabs a few marks per game. His disposal by foot lets him down, but he knows it, so he's always happy to look for the handball to the halfback running past.

Loves his guns, benches a tonne, puts in the work off-field and loved by the team and the fans. One of the good guys.

Others have said that he is not a ruck/fwd, and that he's declining now, and they're right... but still, he's got a bit of the Ben Hudson about him. Great tutor for a young player, could work really well for young Tim.

Just to further answer the original question:
Biggest strength is his work around the ground. He was Grundy before Grundy was Grundy. Pops up as an extra midfielder and grabs a few marks per game. His disposal by foot lets him down, but he knows it, so he's always happy to look for the handball to the halfback running past.

Loves his guns, benches a tonne, puts in the work off-field and loved by the team and the fans. One of the good guys.

Others have said that he is not a ruck/fwd, and that he's declining now, and they're right... but still, he's got a bit of the Ben Hudson about him. Great tutor for a young player, could work really well for young Tim.
Thanks for all the insights! I tend to think his impact on field may be limited but hope he may be transformational for Tim as a mentor, coach and training partner. Our lack of Senior leaders has been a huge problem and it sounds like he Will have an impact in that space.

Thanks for all the insights! I tend to think his impact on field may be limited but hope he may be transformational for Tim as a mentor, coach and training partner. Our lack of Senior leaders has been a huge problem and it sounds like he Will have an impact in that space.

Don't let Stef go anywhere near forward line. If he manages to clunk that mark accidentally, just make sure your smalls are all running past every 10 seconds. He'll hand it off for sure :D

View attachment 1004986

Can I assume that we will be offering that future 3rd for Cockatoo?
To me this seems like it was driven by Melbourne.
Based on this years ladder positions it is basically
picks 43 & 69 next year for picks 53 & 46 (next year)

As for other pick swaps.
I think we should at look at picks 7 & 48 from Ess for picks 18 & 19

We have the same problem as you in that we are tight for list spots and the fringe guys we might like to move are contracted. So we have probably said we would prefer a 40s/50s pick next year rather than this year so id expect the trade to be a future 3rd/4th.

Stef is cooked IMO, turns 34 in a couple of weeks although for your and Stef's sake I hope he has a good season or 2 at the Dogs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have the same problem as you in that we are tight for list spots and the fringe guys we might like to move are contracted. So we have probably said we would prefer a 40s/50s pick next year rather than this year so id expect the trade to be a future 3rd/4th.

Out future third makes sense I think.

He is a good clubman, don't really see him.as a coaching type. Great bloke though.

IMO the notion moving up is hopium at best unless there was a nudge/wink with Essendon in regards to Daniher's contract. As much as I would like Carlton to do it I can’t see it. I do believe that Saad is not a top ten pick but Bombers sell high and buy low.

IMO the notion moving up is hopium at best unless there was a nudge/wink with Essendon in regards to Daniher's contract. As much as I would like Carlton to do it I can’t see it. I do believe that Saad is not a top ten pick but Bombers sell high and buy low.

Yeah but Essendon aren't really in the drivers seat here, same as with the Fantasia trade. They can put out whatever demands they want in the media, and it makes a good click bait story, but the only thing they can do is accept whatever Carlton are prepared to trade or let him walk for nothing.

In the hypothetical situation where Carlton prefer to trade pick 8 to us for 18 & 19 rather than try to work out a deal with Essendon involving pick 8, as much as they might kick & scream, Essendon won't pass on a late first round draft pick & let him go for nothing. Essendon blinks first there every time.

Yeah but Essendon aren't really in the drivers seat here, same as with the Fantasia trade. They can put out whatever demands they want in the media, and it makes a good click bait story, but the only thing they can do is accept whatever Carlton are prepared to trade or let him walk for nothing.

In the hypothetical situation where Carlton prefer to trade pick 8 to us for 18 & 19 rather than try to work out a deal with Essendon involving pick 8, as much as they might kick & scream, Essendon won't pass on a late first round draft pick & let him go for nothing. Essendon blinks first there every time.

Whilst I am not a fan of the Dodoro bashing, he must have some runs on the board to still be there, it seems there is a lot of piss and wind in their trading.

They are in fact in the drivers seat to a certain extent, both Saad and Fantasia are both contracted beyond this year so the bombers don’t have to trade them.

Where do they need to let Saad go for nothing? They can hold him for the remaining 2 years of his contract or he can not play and not get paid.

Players don’t hold all the power in these situations and have every right to hold a player to their contract.

They are in fact in the drivers seat to a certain extent, both Saad and Fantasia are both contracted beyond this year so the bombers don’t have to trade them.

Where do they need to let Saad go for nothing? They can hold him for the remaining 2 years of his contract or he can not play and not get paid.

Players don’t hold all the power in these situations and have every right to hold a player to their contract.

Saad is out-of-contract.

How could you possibly not know that saad is out of contract.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back