Footy Dept. Soon to be ex-GM - List & Recruiting Adrian Dodoro #putoutyourjackets

Remove this Banner Ad

Cliff notes:
  • Stepping back from his current senior role following the 2023 AFL Draft
  • Transition plan, raised the possibility with Vozzo in April
  • Replacement is Matt Rosa, whose thread is here: Welcome to Essendon Matthew Rosa – AFL Talent & Operations Manager!
Full text from media release said:
To coincide with this announcement, the Club’s General Manager of List and Recruiting, Adrian Dodoro, has made the decision to take a step back from his current senior role following this year’s NAB AFL National Draft. He will lead the Club through the upcoming 2023 Trade and Draft period in his current position prior to transitioning to and assisting Matt Rosa moving forward.
Dodoro, an Essendon Life Member, has played a significant role at the Bombers over nearly three decades and said the time was right to take a step back.
“I approached Craig back in April to discuss the concept of transition and I feel that now is the right time to make this decision,” Dodoro said.
"I sat on the panel to assist in the selection of Matt, and I believe he will be an outstanding acquisition to the Club for years to come. I look forward to working with Matt moving forward.
“These roles are very taxing on individuals and their families and it just feels like that. After nearly three decades and with stability in key roles at the Club, now is the right time for me to take a step back in to a role which will provide me and my family with a better work life balance.
“More immediately, we have an important few months coming up and I’m looking forward to playing my part to deliver a strong Trade and Draft period for the Club to ensure that the playing list is in a strong position for the future.”
Essendon CEO Craig Vozzo acknowledged the significant impact Dodoro has made at the Club since joining in a full-time role in 1998.
“Adrian is a highly respected Life Member of the Essendon Football Club and has made an enormous contribution to the Club and the wider AFL industry during his time in football, including assisting to navigate the Club through unprecedented and challenging periods,” Vozzo said.
“Throughout his time at the Bombers, Adrian’s commitment and passion to take the Club forward in its list management and recruiting, has been unquestionable. Some of the Champions of Essendon have been identified and selected by Adrian, and we will always be grateful for the important and enduring role he has played.
“On behalf of the entire Club, we would like to acknowledge Adrian’s selfless decision and we look forward to his ongoing contribution to the Club.
“Adrian will work with Matt to ensure a smooth hand-over and a successful transition of responsibilities.”

Pretty horrible and hard to understand to off season to date. Have to keep my powder dry because I guess there will be a few DFAs we could be looking at.

So many ways to improve the list, with holes everywhere, and yet we got bogged down bluffing and screwing around on a prime time deal we didn't really take seriously.

Any remaining faith is rapidly dissipating.
Just curious which direction you would have gone if you were Jackets?

Just curious which direction you would have gone if you were Jackets?

Wright, Ronke, Markov, O'Halloran and Smith.

Still take all 3 top 10 picks. Load up in the 3rd, 4th round for Eyre and Brand.

Something in that vein.

I suppose people will cite Hine and Caldwell. It does not inspire me.

Still take all 3 top 10 picks. Load up in the 3rd, 4th round for Eyre and Brand.

Something in that vein.

We have enough list cloggers as it is I agree with Dodo just going to the draft with high-end picks

Something in that vein.

Wright :heavycheck:
Ronke :greencross: (Hind)
Markov :greencross: (draft)
O'Hallaran :greencross: (Dunkley)
Smith (Elly?) :greencross: (Caldwell)

Apart from a small defender we aimed for better versions of the ones you wanted. Can't begrudge Dodoro for not getting deals done when an asking price is some of the most outlandish player exchange has seen.

Wright :heavycheck:
Ronke :greencross: (Hind)
Markov :greencross: (draft)
O'Hallaran :greencross: (Dunkley)
Smith (Elly?) :greencross: (Caldwell)

Apart from a small defender we aimed for better versions of the ones you wanted. Can't begrudge Dodoro for not getting deals done when an asking price is some of the most outlandish player exchange has seen.

I'm not crediting aiming for a superior player he had no intention of paying for as good strategy. I can absolutely begrudge that.

It calls for a little self reflection. What would it take to get McGrath out of his contract with 2 years to run? Let's not pretend the demand for 2 first round picks was unreasonable unless were honestly going to say we'd trade McGrath based on 1 first round pick and something.

We have a stack of list spots and an opportunity to fill them with types of players we don't seem to be able to identify, recruit and/or develop and yet we end up with what appears to me to be another Parish.

I suppose if Ronke is still waiting for a contract something might happen there. That would be good.

I am more critical of Adrian than most however 2 first rounders for Dunkley is too much.
his next job is to parlay 7 and 8 for 2 and a pick in the 20s
logan MacDonald jye Caldwell perhaps Nathan odriscall peter wright And a pick in the 20s is a pretty good haul
we retain our first rounder in a good draft
the other possibility is pick 7 for Collingwood pick 16 and their future first round selection
take 6, 8 and 16 to this draft
and have two first rounders next year

I'm not crediting aiming for a superior player he had no intention of paying for as good strategy. I can absolutely begrudge that.

It calls for a little self reflection. What would it take to get McGrath out of his contract with 2 years to run? Let's not pretend the demand for 2 first round picks was unreasonable unless were honestly going to say we'd trade McGrath based on 1 first round pick and something.

We have a stack of list spots and an opportunity to fill them with types of players we don't seem to be able to identify, recruit and/or develop and yet we end up with what appears to me to be another Parish.

I suppose if Ronke is still waiting for a contract something might happen there. That would be good.
If we had 4 other McGraths in the midfield and the actual McGrath was playing HFF and ruck, I don't think we'd be well regarded for asking for two "good" firsts (top 10 picks).

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

But I will say that only having Caldwell as an addition to our incredibly weak midfield hardly fills me with confidence for next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty horrible and hard to understand to off season to date. Have to keep my powder dry because I guess there will be a few DFAs we could be looking at.

So many ways to improve the list, with holes everywhere, and yet we got bogged down bluffing and screwing around on a prime time deal we didn't really take seriously.

Any remaining faith is rapidly dissipating.

I'm assuming you wanted Dunkley.

Losing the players we did across the field does he even really make a dent in improving the side that much?

Let's just start a fresh rebuild.

I think he did the right thing. He offered 7 and a future second for Dunkley, which even then was overs, and im glad he didn't cave and offer 7 and 8. And that was the only thing he didn't get done. Id say fantasia deal was fair and we got caldwell and wright and hind for way unders, and they all fill needs and walk into our best 22. We got arguably overs for Daniher and saad too, and now we have 6,7,8, and are well placed to trade up for Logan McDonald and still have 2 more first rounders.
Don't blame Dunkley on Adrian, he did absolutely all he could. The onus was on the dogs, who brought in another midfielder in order to make Dunkley feel better about his lack of midfield minutes. I hope the afl re opens the trade period and the dogs reconsider.

I think he did the right thing. He offered 7 and a future second for Dunkley, which even then was overs, and im glad he didn't cave and offer 7 and 8. And that was the only thing he didn't get done. Id say fantasia deal was fair and we got caldwell and wright and hind for way unders, and they all fill needs and walk into our best 22. We got arguably overs for Daniher and saad too, and now we have 6,7,8, and are well placed to trade up for Logan McDonald and still have 2 more first rounders.
Don't blame Dunkley on Adrian, he did absolutely all he could. The onus was on the dogs, who brought in another midfielder in order to make Dunkley feel better about his lack of midfield minutes. I hope the afl re opens the trade period and the dogs reconsider.

We chased a player under contract. The onus is on Dodoro to do what's necessary to get that player. But Dodo was too busy dreaming of Logan McDonald to get the trade done.

Hopefully McDonald is worth it.

I'm assuming you wanted Dunkley.

Losing the players we did across the field does he even really make a dent in improving the side that much?

Let's just start a fresh rebuild.

It's not about wanting Dunkley. What we did is tie up a stack of trade capital and energy on that deal despite the fact we were never going to come to the table. What trees did we not shake because we had allocated the picks required to get Dunkley?

You can't scatter gun trade period. You have to target players unless you have the picks and flexibility of mind to take advantage of opportunities as they present themselves.

We chased a player under contract. The onus is on Dodoro to do what's necessary to get that player. But Dodo was too busy dreaming of Logan McDonald to get the trade done.

Hopefully McDonald is worth it.
You seriously can't blame him for not offering 7+8 for Dunkley. 7 and next years second is more than enough and the dogs didn't want that, we have to accept it and move on.

You seriously can't blame him for not offering 7+8 for Dunkley. 7 and next years second is more than enough and the dogs didn't want that, we have to accept it and move on.

I don't understand what is so difficult about this point to grasp.

If you want a gun young player who has 2 years left on his contract you either base your planning on getting the deal done (i.e. using 2 first round picks, trading Merrett) or you don't bother.

We got caught up in negotiations for a player we were not even serious about trading instead of pursing other players. You can't go to GWS and ask them to throw O'Halloran into the deal when they already know we're tied up with Dunkley. We need to offer them something.

Last edited:

You seriously can't be saying the onus is on the Dogs to facilitate a trade for a player whom we set our sights on.

People keep getting caught up in the wrong issues with Dodoro

The issue isn’t whether he should have traded 2x first rounders for Dunkley, it’s all the other stuff

Last year he forced both Fantasia and Daniher to stay against their own will, meaning he had 12 months to plan for the obvious eventual exists and replenish our forward stocks

In that 12 months the best he could was Peter Wright

The guy needs to stop chasing the Shiel’s and Dunkley’s of the world and start planning an actual competent list, which he’s essentially failed to do even once in the last 20 years

Sure he’s a shrewd negotiatior and “wins trades” but that’s not even 5% of his job and he fails miserably at the rest

Anyone who can’t see this is deluded

Remove this Banner Ad

Back