Footy Dept. Soon to be ex-GM - List & Recruiting Adrian Dodoro #putoutyourjackets

Remove this Banner Ad

Cliff notes:
  • Stepping back from his current senior role following the 2023 AFL Draft
  • Transition plan, raised the possibility with Vozzo in April
  • Replacement is Matt Rosa, whose thread is here: Welcome to Essendon Matthew Rosa – AFL Talent & Operations Manager!
Full text from media release said:
To coincide with this announcement, the Club’s General Manager of List and Recruiting, Adrian Dodoro, has made the decision to take a step back from his current senior role following this year’s NAB AFL National Draft. He will lead the Club through the upcoming 2023 Trade and Draft period in his current position prior to transitioning to and assisting Matt Rosa moving forward.
Dodoro, an Essendon Life Member, has played a significant role at the Bombers over nearly three decades and said the time was right to take a step back.
“I approached Craig back in April to discuss the concept of transition and I feel that now is the right time to make this decision,” Dodoro said.
"I sat on the panel to assist in the selection of Matt, and I believe he will be an outstanding acquisition to the Club for years to come. I look forward to working with Matt moving forward.
“These roles are very taxing on individuals and their families and it just feels like that. After nearly three decades and with stability in key roles at the Club, now is the right time for me to take a step back in to a role which will provide me and my family with a better work life balance.
“More immediately, we have an important few months coming up and I’m looking forward to playing my part to deliver a strong Trade and Draft period for the Club to ensure that the playing list is in a strong position for the future.”
Essendon CEO Craig Vozzo acknowledged the significant impact Dodoro has made at the Club since joining in a full-time role in 1998.
“Adrian is a highly respected Life Member of the Essendon Football Club and has made an enormous contribution to the Club and the wider AFL industry during his time in football, including assisting to navigate the Club through unprecedented and challenging periods,” Vozzo said.
“Throughout his time at the Bombers, Adrian’s commitment and passion to take the Club forward in its list management and recruiting, has been unquestionable. Some of the Champions of Essendon have been identified and selected by Adrian, and we will always be grateful for the important and enduring role he has played.
“On behalf of the entire Club, we would like to acknowledge Adrian’s selfless decision and we look forward to his ongoing contribution to the Club.
“Adrian will work with Matt to ensure a smooth hand-over and a successful transition of responsibilities.”

Who would have overruled him? We don't have a GM right now, so would it have been Rutten's call?
Xav would be the only one
Maybe Sheeds, but christ i hope not.

seems doubtful. i think we had too much on and i think there is something im the theory we tried to keep our future 1st, get Dunkley and have the tools to get McDonald.

Xav would be the only one
Maybe Sheeds, but christ i hope not.

seems doubtful. i think we had too much on and i think there is something im the theory we tried to keep our future 1st, get Dunkley and have the tools to get McDonald.
If Xavier made the call, I hope he's the next victim of the review.

Passing up Dunkley just to maybe make a run at McDonald is insanity to me, especially when Adelaide might just take him Pick 1 anyway.

If Xavier made the call, I hope he's the next victim of the review.

Passing up Dunkley just to maybe make a run at McDonald is insanity to me, especially when Adelaide might just take him Pick 1 anyway.
No chance Adelaide take McDonald at 1 over Hollands and Thilthorpe. Even if they do, I'd be stoked to get Hollands.

I've not been following this closely but was Dodoro trying a clever dick move to get Dunkley on the cheap?

Eventually players nominating a club will become just another bullshit tool used go position and manoeuvre so I'm not reading too much into that part myself - but the outcome here looks to be we don't have the mid we actually need but we have another possible ok AFL mid in Caldwell.

Caldwell and Dunkley in and say Merrett to the Dogs would have been a win win and the type of shift our midfield actually needed IMO. I don't have any confidence in Dodoro picking mids at the draft and would have been more than happy with this outcome and then move him up/accross or elsewhere.

Always comes back to the same question in my view. Would we seriously have accepted less than the value of 2 firsts for Dunkley if he was our player with 2 years to go on his contract? The answer is clearly no. We knocked back 2 top 10 picks for Daniher (better player but it's relative).

It's too clever by half. We should be looking at players like O'Halloran who are out of contract as a way of adding some more known quantities to the list (given the difficulties with the draft this year). Whether you like O'Halloran or not, I don't really care, go and find the other promising kids who are out of contract or stuck outside a best 22 and who we can deal in using what we are prepared to pay. This is not about brining in star players, it's about trying to minimise the risk involved in starting a rebuild on the back of the most uncertain draft ever.

Edit: Caldwell, I just don't like in principle. Done virtually nothing on which his reputation is based this side of turning 18 and a slight body. Typical not-meat-and-potatoes mid that Dodoro is always infatuated with.

Always comes back to the same question in my view. Would we seriously have accepted less than the value of 2 firsts for Dunkley if he was our player with 2 years to go on his contract? The answer is clearly no. We knocked back 2 top 10 picks for Daniher (better player but it's relative).

It's too clever by half. We should be looking at players like O'Halloran who are out of contract as a way of adding some more known quantities to the list (given the difficulties with the draft this year). Whether you like O'Halloran or not, I don't really care, go and find the other promising kids who are out of contract or stuck outside a best 22 and who we can deal in using what we are prepared to pay. This is not about brining in star players, it's about trying to minimise the risk involved in starting a rebuild on the back of the most uncertain draft ever.

Edit: Caldwell, I just don't like in principle. Done virtually nothing on which his reputation is based this side of turning 18 and a slight body. Typical not-meat-and-potatoes mid that Dodoro is always infatuated with.

Keep in mind; Dunkley is used by the Dogs the way we use Parish.

He's a better player than Parish, so worth more, but he's somewhat surplus to needs there.

Keep in mind; Dunkley is used by the Dogs the way we use Parish.

He's a better player than Parish, so worth more, but he's somewhat surplus to needs there.
I'd compare Dunkley closer to Merrett.
Merrett has an AA under his belt, admittedly, but he's also a couple of years younger & has the AA squad nom. So you'd argue he's not far from that peak.

I pay 2x 1sts.
Ours may be too high. But go and get 2. we have 3x top 10 picks this year. 2021 1sts shouldn't be too hard to acquire.
And we press for a 2nd back

It may well end up being a lose/lose for both clubs. We regret not getting a player of his quality that fills our needs and the Dogs regret not cashing in on an asset that is adding a diminished return relative to 7 & a F2.
doubt it.
we go back in next year, they'll want our 1st plus.
7 & F2 is a piss poor offer. Esp when F2 was needed for Caldwell.

what f'n game were we playing with a couple of hours left

doubt it.

I think you may be underestimating the value of our future second.

- Super draft level of talent based on the natural age group
- Minimal selections this years means a lot of prospects will be available in next year's draft as 19-year-olds who will by then have exposed form

The depth for next year will be insane, a pick 24ish will be worth its weight in gold - it also gives weight to why we valued that future first so highly.

I'd compare Dunkley closer to Merrett.
Merrett has an AA under his belt, admittedly, but he's also a couple of years younger & has the AA squad nom. So you'd argue he's not far from that peak.

I pay 2x 1sts.
Ours may be too high. But go and get 2. we have 3x top 10 picks this year. 2021 1sts shouldn't be too hard to acquire.
And we press for a 2nd back

Parish isn't as good a player as Dunkley, I was meaning more the way they're used.

Dunkley doesn't get played in his preferred position because they've got a mix of guys who are better in there, or less able to play anywhere else.

If you picked the Bulldogs starting midfield trio, Dunkley likely isn't in it, and even less likely to be in it with the addition of Treloar.

Dunkley is about 18 months younger than Merrett FWIW, and Merrett's 2020 was actually statistically better than 2017 when he was AA when you adjust for time from memory when I looked at it. He was also the only player in the top-10 coaches votes not to get an AA squad nomination I think.

Sounds like we tried very hard to get Carlton and Port's 2021 1st rounders, I get the sense teams are very reticent to move their future firsts for currency this year.

doubt it.

I'm guessing the reason Caldwell & Hind happened so late was they were trying to talk to the Bulldogs to get a deal done.

7 + Future 2nd is the rough points equivalent of Pick 3, which is the same as what we ended up giving for Shiel. Cameron's deal ends up the equivalent of Pick 6.

What the Dogs wanted was even more than that.

Parish isn't as good a player as Dunkley, I was meaning more the way they're used.

Dunkley doesn't get played in his preferred position because they've got a mix of guys who are better in there, or less able to play anywhere else.

If you picked the Bulldogs starting midfield trio, Dunkley likely isn't in it, and even less likely to be in it with the addition of Treloar.

Dunkley is about 18 months younger than Merrett FWIW, and Merrett's 2020 was actually statistically better than 2017 when he was AA when you adjust for time from memory when I looked at it. He was also the only player in the top-10 coaches votes not to get an AA squad nomination I think.

Sounds like we tried very hard to get Carlton and Port's 2021 1st rounders, I get the sense teams are very reticent to move their future firsts for currency this year.

I'm guessing the reason Caldwell & Hind happened so late was they were trying to talk to the Bulldogs to get a deal done.

7 + Future 2nd is the rough points equivalent of Pick 3, which is the same as what we ended up giving for Shiel. Cameron's deal ends up the equivalent of Pick 6.

What the Dogs wanted was even more than that.
Points maybe, but in reality its 7 & F2. Unless they're bidding next year or no JUH/compromised draft this year that might work.
we needed to move 7 & 8 into 2021 1st rd picks for Dunks + change.

Seemed clear as day that was the cost we needed to pay.

FYI - if im picking the dogs midfield;
English Dunkley Smith
Macrae Bont Treloar

Libba & Wallis bench/fwd.
Hunter HBF/mid.

I think you may be underestimating the value of our future second.

- Super draft level of talent based on the natural age group
- Minimal selections this years means a lot of prospects will be available in next year's draft as 19-year-olds who will by then have exposed form

The depth for next year will be insane, a pick 24ish will be worth its weight in gold - it also gives weight to why we valued that future first so highly.
perhaps, but we gave it up with another 2nd for Caldwell and a 3rd.
So we don't hold it anyway.

So not only was it critical in getting Caldwell, we were offering it to the Dogs.
same old games.

Also, likely we get a F2 back from the Dogs for 2x good 1sts for Dunkley.
Could have turned 7 & 8 into Dunkley, later 2020 1st and said weighty 2021 2nd.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Points maybe, but in reality its 7 & F2

More just an indicator of the total value of the package, Geelong look on the surface like they've paid a kings ransom for Cameron but it's actually not that bad for example.

Whilst 7 + F2 sounds under-ish, but isn't too far off the mark given what Shiel went for and that 2021 will likely run very deep.

we needed to move 7 & 8 into 2021 1st rd picks for Dunks + change.

I'd assume we tried in some form to do so, that the Hind & Caldwell deals went so late after Saad and Wright were done well in advance suggests Dodoro either took the rest of the day off and lodged it in the last minute, or there was a lot of scenarios being worked through.

FYI - if im picking the dogs midfield;

Yes but the Bevo factor means you'll probably end up with Dunkley in the ruck, English & Martin up forward, Naughton down back and JUH playing on-ball.

Also, likely we get a F2 back from the Dogs for 2x good 1sts for Dunkley.
Could have turned 7 & 8 into Dunkley, later 2020 1st and said weighty 2021 2nd.

Hard to say, Dodoro's comment was simply they wanted 8 + Future First, maybe some ancillary picks but I imagine they weren't all that bothered about demanding the world and having the trade not go through. Like us with Daniher last year.

Hard to say, Dodoro's comment was simply they wanted 8 + Future First, maybe some ancillary picks but I imagine they weren't all that bothered about demanding the world and having the trade not go through. Like us with Daniher last year.
im cool we tried to keep our pick.
I don't see too many issues swapping 7 & 8 into next year (better draft, so if we can't trade, we hold a decent hand there anyway)

But go in with the reported 2x good 1sts and ask for them to balance it out with change

Also annoyed F2 was being offered whilst GWS was asking for it.

im cool we tried to keep our pick.
I don't see too many issues swapping 7 & 8 into next year (better draft, so if we can't trade, we hold a decent hand there anyway)

But go in with the reported 2x good 1sts and ask for them to balance it out with change

Also annoyed F2 was being offered whilst GWS was asking for it.

Seems to me like we were between a rock and a hard place with McCartney asking for ridiculous currency for Caldwell, we were reported to have offered our F2 for Caldwell a week ago and they refused.

Wouldn't surprise me if Dodoro then offered it to the Bulldogs as part of the Dunkley trade as well.

I know this was intended as a joke but I'm pretty sure he played as a mid and preferred to be a mid until he grew too much

I had read we wants to play through the middle, so it wasn't entirely a joke!

Mate

Saad had a solid body of work over the last 3 years finishing top 3 in our B&F in all those years. We also sent back a 3rd rounder.
Daniher compensation was purely based on the $$ and contract offered by Brisbane, and our ladder position at the time.
Pick 8 AND a future 1st is way too much for Dunkley. (Good chance our ftr 1st will be a top 6 pick). Thats an offer Id give for Bontempelli, not Dunkley. I mean have we learnt nothing from the Shiel trade??.
People saying 2020 draft is weak?? How do we know this? We wont know this for another 3 years or so.

Look I would've loved Dunkley, but I'd rather have a crack at 2 potential young guns than over paying for one.
Totally understand what you're saying but that is potential young's guns as you've stated vs one who is exactly what we needed. I have no problem with us not wanting to give 2 firsts (I personally was saying 2 firsts with a 2nd coming back) but to offer pick 8 this year as the first round instead of next year's first round was ridiculous when everyone knows this year's first is a waste to them. To get Dunkley to commit and not offer something that would make them at least consider it, is poor in my opinion.

I'm glad Dodoro didn't pay overs for Dunkley, (even if he is what we need, the asking price was absurd), but I'm disappointed that we pursued a contracted player and didn't land them. Can't imagine everything will be all rosy for Dunkley at Whitten Oval after he announced his intentions and justifications and all we will have done nothing but compound the problem.

I think this draft could be the defining point of Dodoro's career. If he gets 3 good kids who can obviously play plus if Hind or Wright or Caldwell come on he's the genius again. Suddenly people won't talk about him.

If you look at the players we are bringing in, Wright was a top 10 talent, Calldwell was widely considered a top 10 talent, plus three picks inside 10 (and Hind).

Fully developed Dunkley for 2 draft picks which are unproven players. The last time we had those picks it produced Parish and Fancis.

That seems like a fair deal to me tbh.. especially considering he has 2 years to run on a contract.

Surely we knew that was the price we would ask for?

Fully developed Dunkley for 2 draft picks which are unproven players. The last time we had those picks it produced Parish and Fancis.

That seems like a fair deal to me tbh.. especially considering he has 2 years to run on a contract.

Surely we knew that was the price we would ask for?

Two top ten picks. Only one other player has been traded for that and he didn't exactly work out for the club that got him.

I think this draft could be the defining point of Dodoro's career. If he gets 3 good kids who can obviously play plus if Hind or Wright or Caldwell come on he's the genius again. Suddenly people won't talk about him.
The problem with this is we wont know for at least 3 years down the track if the kids we select are long term players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back