Certified Legendary Thread Corona, Jamaica ooh I wanna take ya (COVID-19 Information & Discussion Here) Part 2 "The Second Wave"

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good grief there is unrivalled levels of stupidity going on this forum the last 24 hours.

The decision was the correct one based on the potential risk from the information provided. They decided to withdraw the restrictions. I’d rather this approach than any other.

Business needs to adapt to changes, yes two days of lockdown is potentially harsh. If a business fails because of two days of lockdown then they shouldn’t be in it to start off. Those that adapt to change, survive, those that don’t, won’t.

Good grief there is unrivalled levels of stupidity going on this forum the last 24 hours.

The decision was the correct one based on the potential risk from the information provided. They decided to withdraw the restrictions. I’d rather this approach than any other.

Business needs to adapt to changes, yes two days of lockdown is potentially harsh. If a business fails because of two days of lockdown then they shouldn’t be in it to start off. Those that adapt to change, survive, those that don’t, won’t.
I don't think anyone is saying that these two days would kill their business but it certainly hurts after the last 5 months.

TBH when the lockdown was announced for 6 days, I fully expected it to last around 14+ days.

The fact that it barely lasted 72hours if that, is such a positive.

What happened in Victoria, Im not sure I could have handled that for that period of time.

I would rather the SA Govt be proactive, then sit on its arse and wait for s**t to hit the fan.

201,083 today. 1951 deaths. It’s just horrendous. Was watching a few videos from drs dealing with it... they are exhausted. Absolutely mother*******ly exhausted. And it’s getting worse every single day.

Goodness knows how bad this will get but with Trump not assisting it will be a legacy he won’t be best remembered for.

You have Governors in Florida and South Dakota (both Republican) - two of the worst states currently with it - who won’t mandate mask wearing in public and who won’t enforce lockdowns. It is just appalling behaviour.

And then you have Trump worshippers who still believe that he has done nothing wrong and has had an election stolen. The whole COVID-19 mess is nowhere near ending anytime soon. Biden will inherit a bloody mess.

Kane McGoodwin

What we did here is not an example of best practice, rather what our leaders felt was the best thing to do.

Going into Lockdown because of an assumption of Community Transmission in one case, based on a contact tracing investigation is not Best Practice.

This is because no other jurisdiction have done this.

Best Practice (universally accepted method) in handling COVID is to consider using lockdown when the Reproduction number goes above 1.0

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Auckland?

SA Health's overall handling of COVID has been first class...
Up to this point yes. In this case though, the only good things they did was react quickly to institute restrictions and (relatively speaking) to remove them.

Everything else around the handling was a major mistake. And they continue to dig themselves into a hole by poisoning the well against contact tracers and medical professionals in the case of any future outbreak.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They will be at numbers where herd immunity theory could truly be tested, sadly.

Didn't do the work early and it got out of hand.

It will be there for years. The vaccine will control but not eliminate it three for a long time.

It worked for Spanish flue so I can’t see one reason why it won’t be the same with this one.
I listened to a science versus podcast on Spanish flue a few days ago. A Swedish scientist guy living in the states, got DNA samples in the 50’s from dead Inuit villagers frozen in the permafrost and tried to coax the virus they’d died from in 1918 back to life. It didn’t work, then many years later he was reading about some mob that we’re trying to DNA sequence Spanish flu from remains of us soldiers They were only getting fragments of DNA and it was taking ages. He called them and said I can get you frozen samples that haven’t degraded. At 75 years old he flew up to Brevig Mission in Alaska and got some more samples that when they sequenced they realized that Spanish flu had not disappeared but was the flu that is common nowadays.

It worked for Spanish flue so I can’t see one reason why it won’t be the same with this one.
I listened to a science versus podcast on Spanish flue a few days ago. A Swedish scientist guy living in the states, got DNA samples in the 50’s from dead Inuit villagers frozen in the permafrost and tried to coax the virus they’d died from in 1918 back to life. It didn’t work, then many years later he was reading about some mob that we’re trying to DNA sequence Spanish flu from remains of us soldiers They were only getting fragments of DNA and it was taking ages. He called them and said I can get you frozen samples that haven’t degraded. At 75 years old he flew up to Brevig Mission in Alaska and got some more samples that when they sequenced they realized that Spanish flu had not disappeared but was the flu that is common nowadays.
How many people died before herd immunity worked?

I don't think anyone is saying that these two days would kill their business but it certainly hurts after the last 5 months.
He’s retired and out of the loop now.
Had lots of dealings with businesses people but not one himself so has no real idea what it’s like to run a business. 😏

How many people died before herd immunity worked?
25-50 million in less than 2 years. They don’t really know.
Covid is either far less dangerous or, we are far more advanced with our abilities to treat it.
Going on the fact, that in some places 50% of the populations died in weeks, whereas Covid is a mild disease to most that get it, I think it’s more likely the former.

Auckland?
One other jurisdiction. And had more concrete evidence than just jumping to a conclusion based on contact tracing advice.

Two lockdowns with such few cases does not make them " Best Practice"...

Last edited:
Rubbish number!

No where near that number.
Can easy get to that figure.

Lost wages alone about $100m ie roughly 200k people not paid out of a total workforce of about 750k in SA.

Then every takeaway place in SA losing product and having to restock.

Cancellations of events, that would add up. Yes individuals can be compensated (to a point) by venues and suppliers. But wouldn't they want to be compensated.

Froggy how much did this cost you?

I have just considered a fragment of industry.

Remember every industry shut down.

It would add up.

Hence there will be no compensation and all the decision makers are saying the right things to not open themselves to financial recourse from the public. AGD/Crown lawyers would have briefed them on not admitting a mistake or error in judgement.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back