Preview 2020 AFL National Draft Thread II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get the sentiment but producing good footy and not being committed to moving as part of the national league aren't synonymous.

Using that criteria West Coast should've passed on trading for Tim Kelly because he showed a lack of commitment not to grind it out for longer in Victoria.

And as I said, Shannon Grant told interstate clubs he didn't want to leave Victoria then tried to price himself out of their reach then almost took a trade to the dogs after this 1st contract and was a kangaroo by his 4th year.

Do you see any correlation between his football output and his unwillingness to play interstate?

Agreed KC. It's old school thought process.

As he said in the interview, he's spoken to multiple others who don't want to leave their state, however haven't said anything.

Then clubs like GWS crack it when players leave after two years of development.

Better to be transparent from the start.

I get the sentiment but producing good footy and not being committed to moving as part of the national league aren't synonymous.

Using that criteria West Coast should've passed on trading for Tim Kelly because he showed a lack of commitment not to grind it out for longer in Victoria.

And as I said, Shannon Grant told interstate clubs he didn't want to leave Victoria then tried to price himself out of their reach then almost took a trade to the dogs after this 1st contract and was a kangaroo by his 4th year.

Do you see any correlation between his football output and his unwillingness to play interstate?
That is a fair question.

Here are his stats:

I definitely see a correlation between his performance improving and him being in Victoria. That could have been down to the coach tho.

Agreed KC. It's old school thought process.

As he said in the interview, he's spoken to multiple others who don't want to leave their state, however haven't said anything.

Then clubs like GWS crack it when players leave after two years of development.

Better to be transparent from the start.
Old school thought processes are not necessarily bad thought processes tho.

That is a fair question.

Here are his stats:

I definitely see a correlation between his performance improving and him being in Victoria. That could have been down to the coach tho.

I didn't mean it quite that literally ferbs. I think he won a Rising Star runner-up at Sydney? So his improvement in Vic would've been down to natural development as much as anything else.

But he was an example of a player you'd judge mentally weak if it's based on not wanting to leave home but who proved to have a terrific career.

Perkins = the next Harley Balic

Old school thought processes are not necessarily bad thought processes tho.

I'm with you Ferbs, I wouldn't hire him.

But I'd let him play football for my club if he promises to get fit, stay fit, hit target after target and kick goals, ESPECIALLY when we need them.

Yeah but being down by three goals at 3/4 time isn't a good fit either, especially if you've been winded a few times earlier in the game...

I actually think what you are saying is reasonable too, for most situations, but mental toughness is one of the most important parts of this game. Overcoming adversity onfield is what makes great players. People who overcome adversity onfield are probably the sort who do it off field as well.

Good luck to him but if I was a recruiter I'd be taking what he said into account but not in a good way. You might not want to slip too far or miss out in this draft.
We have no idea what he has had to, or sees he will have to, deal with outside of football that leads him to say it's important for him to live in Victoria. Plenty of teenagers live with family physical and mental health challenges, for example, that make them more resilient, not less - but also more conscious of the importance of being close by.

I can't see why it's better for recruiters interstate not to know they would have to manage extra issues with him if they selected him, or for Victorian clubs not to know that he would likely have a stronger commitment for giving him the opportunity to play and live where he wants to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure any of you have spent time in hotel quarantine's this year... I wouldve done 7 weeks by the end of the year. On my own, away from my family.

Who knows when the next tightening of state borders come?

I know FIFO workers that have spent 6 months away from their families due to quarantine requirements.

This is the year if there ever was one to tell an interstate recruiter to * off.

Cant go to your family members funeral because of two week quarantine requirements?..."shut up and get drafted kid"

Fmd give the kid a break.

Like what? Honest?

Would you want Bailey Smith at the football club?

How about Liam Ryan or Jack Darling?
Or Adam Cera - Though he still ended up at Freo, just 3 spots later in the draft

How many of you guys potting Perkins use family as a reason to eradicate all the COVID lockdown protocol

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Overs, overs.... we are drafting for the club’s future, not playing a schoolyard game of who has the biggest. That’s * style and look how well they’ve gone in the last 20 years.

If we rate Thilthorpe ahead of the rest we’ll take him. If we believe we can still get our preferred pick at 4 or below with little risk then we’ll trade and take an extra pick from another club. We will end up ahead... overs don’t enter into it. The only consideration is the risk involved.
Has absolutely zero to do with who’s got the biggest.

We are drafting for the club’s future and I want the best possible outcome for our club. If another club is silly enough to offer ridiculous overs, then that’s the best outcome for North. Any club would push for overs as that is the best outcome. When push comes to shove, we won’t screw over other clubs and our relationships with them, like * tries to.

Last edited:
Yeah but being down by three goals at 3/4 time isn't a good fit either, especially if you've been winded a few times earlier in the game...

I actually think what you are saying is reasonable too, for most situations, but mental toughness is one of the most important parts of this game. Overcoming adversity onfield is what makes great players. People who overcome adversity onfield are probably the sort who do it off field as well.

Good luck to him but if I was a recruiter I'd be taking what he said into account but not in a good way. You might not want to slip too far or miss out in this draft.
He has definitely taken a risk. I just don’t think one size fits all... is speaking out and somewhat going against the norm mentally weak.... or somewhat courageous?

I don’t know the answer, but personally, I wouldn’t write him off automatically.

Not sure any of you have spent time in hotel quarantine's this year... I wouldve done 7 weeks by the end of the year. On my own, away from my family.

Who knows when the next tightening of state borders come?

I know FIFO workers that have spent 6 months away from their families due to quarantine requirements.

This is the year if there ever was one to tell an interstate recruiter to fu** off.

Cant go to your family members funeral because of two week quarantine requirements?..."shut up and get drafted kid"

Fmd give the kid a break.
Good points. I don't have a problem with his honesty at all. They are in a pretty unique position in regards to the draft dictating where they have to go, and I hope that the clubs are now in a strong enough position to support them if things don't pan out how they would like. I would hope that this also includes people encouraging them not to sell themselves short, and that young adults are most often capable of dealing with change much more easily than they think.
I'm sure any club looking at drafting him would have a lot more insights to his personal situation as well.

Because when you sign up to play in the AUSTRALIAN Football League, it’s under the proviso that you can feasibly get drafted to a state that you are not from. Don’t sign up if you’re not willing to do that- pretty simple.

Pretty average view that. If he doesn't sign up then he has no chance of playing AFL football. There are 10 Victorian clubs so the odds are slightly in favour of him getting drafted to a Victorian club. If not then he can look to get traded back to a Victorian Club at the earliest opportunity.

We all have different personalities and for some people moving away from home to live, especially interstate, can be very hard to cope with. Leaving home at the age of 18, can be a very daunting prospect for many people and though nothing has been said as far as I know, drafting either McDonald or Thilthorpe, has the increased risk of the go home factor.

I had to do it for education purposes when I was of their age, and if it hadn't been for a very supportive Aunty and Uncle living in Essendon, who I lived with for a number of years, I would not have lasted.

If that is a "stain" on my character/mental toughness, then so be it.

I didn't mean it quite that literally ferbs. I think he won a Rising Star runner-up at Sydney? So his improvement in Vic would've been down to natural development as much as anything else.

But he was an example of a player you'd judge mentally weak if it's based on not wanting to leave home but who proved to have a terrific career.
Yeah I just thought I'd look his stats up and see if anything stood out. I didn't expect to see an obvious improvement but I think there is one.

Three years into a career is when you expect players to really get going so you can't read too much into all that, and he did come to us with Pagan breathing fire after '97. But straight away he doubled his goal scoring.

Grant also did his time interstate when he was selected, i'm not saying TP won't but he is giving that impression to recruiters. It might be different if he has built relationships with them, they may see him as honest not soft, which could be a good thing for some recruiting teams. But personally it would be a mark against him if I was recruiting, unless we had already built that sort of relationship I just mentioned and thought what he said was valuable.

Not always, & nor are new school thought processes.

Times are changing, kids are different.
It could just be he has been talking with Dodo as someone else mentioned.

I'm not completely old school either. Plenty of so called old school thought processes are ****ed and for the tip. But we've just seen a decade of mental softness at North onfield and I guess that is influencing me too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back