Recommitted Patrick Cripps [Re-Signed to 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

That's all well and good but there will need to be pay rises for guys like Sheed, Ryan, Duggan, Cole, Barrass and Allen.

Probably can't keep all those guys while also setting aside $1 million per year for Cripps.

If Cripps was to choose WC, they'd find a way to get him. But I question the wisdom of paying $6 million over six years to a guy who'll be 27 before he plays a game. And that's before you even consider the cost in trade terms should Carlton match the offer.

WC should probably prioritise drafting/poaching younger midfielders.

Agree 100%

I'd like them to go after Jeremy Sharp at GC, or perhaps Will Powell as well.

Ryan, Barrass and Allen aren't OOC on 2021, and the salary cap will go up next season, and the season after that.

I'm not huge on us going all in for Cripps, but if we don't go after him, or he doesn't choose to come to us, it won't be because of our cap.

Yeah nah. You posted in present tense. Get off the dial up dude. What you posted may have been relevant a decade ago, but not in 2021.

Present tense, because Carlton (and Carlton supporters) still feel that they deserve success just because they are the Carlton Fuccking Footy Club.

Ryan, Barrass and Allen aren't OOC on 2021, and the salary cap will go up next season, and the season after that.
They'll need pay rises over the course of any deal for Cripps.

I'm not huge on us going all in for Cripps, but if we don't go after him, or he doesn't choose to come to us, it won't be because of our cap.
It's more about the risks attached to that kind of deal being offered to a player Cripps' age. And then consider the cost in trade terms if Carlton match an offer.

Present tense, because Carlton (and Carlton supporters) still feel that they deserve success just because they are the Carlton Fuccking Footy Club.

You're just shouting at clouds here. Present tense, Carlton is a club that has set about taking the long road and rebuilding their list from the ground up. And their supporters are behind the effort with their patient support.

Time to let go of your Nokia and get up to speed.

Reckon cripps will resign for less money than he would have gotten somewhere else.
Feels like that kind of 1 club player. He's gone through all the heartache and problems and now he leaves as the team gets better?
I just don't see it happening.

Reckon cripps will resign for less money than he would have gotten somewhere else.
Feels like that kind of 1 club player. He's gone through all the heartache and problems and now he leaves as the team gets better?
That assumes Carlton does actually improve. They might and probably should. But it hasn't happened yet. Unless finishing 11th is cause for celebration?

Remember how Melbourne had the best list in the league after 2018?

That assumes Carlton does actually improve. They might and probably should. But it hasn't happened yet. Unless finishing 11th is cause for celebration?

Remember how Melbourne had the best list in the league after 2018?
This 100%. If Carlton finishes 11th again next season, you could not blame the guy for moving on.

I mean, who's to say Carlton will get better? They overpaid for a few small defenders this off-season but they still have a ways to go before you can say they've built a good team. How many rebuilds have they gone through in the last 15 years with no real success?

Wouldn't surprise me at all if Carlton stagnate yet again and Cripps bails. He's had to carry the club for so long - he must be over it. A player like him deserves a shot at a flag. Carlton would want to have a good season.

I mean, who's to say Carlton will get better? They overpaid for a few small defenders this off-season but they still have a ways to go before you can say they've built a good team. How many rebuilds have they gone through in the last 15 years with no real success?

Wouldn't surprise me at all if Carlton stagnate yet again and Cripps bails. He's had to carry the club for so long - he must be over it. A player like him deserves a shot at a flag. Carlton would want to have a good season.
I don't think you would find too many level-headed Carlton supporters who don't agree with this sentiment thus if Cripps does decide to leave after another average season we wouldn't begrudge him.

Surprised to hear an Essendon supporter say we overpaid for small defenders when Essendon valued their top 3 BnF required small defender at pick 8, which we paid... :think:

I don't think you would find too many level-headed Carlton supporters who don't agree with this sentiment thus if Cripps does decide to leave after another average season we wouldn't begrudge him.

Surprised to hear an Essendon supporter say we overpaid for small defenders when Essendon valued their top 3 BnF required small defender at pick 8, which we paid... :think:

To be fair to Saad he was only beating out luminaries like Kyle Langford and Will Snelling.

It's not a major challenge to finish Top 5 in the Essendon Best and Fairest.

Agree 100%

I'd like them to go after Jeremy Sharp at GC, or perhaps Will Powell as well.

What would your strategy deliver in on field success for 21//22/23?

Players will take a hair cut to get him for onfield success now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saad is quality and Williams has shown enough to make it in the midfield. Most teams have to "over pay" to get player to move clubs. They had a good off season.

I don't think that is the case at all. Carlton has focused on their list with a more balanced approach then they did when Juddy was around but I do agree he is our marquee player.
Blues best midfielders are: Cripps, Murphy, Walsh, and Ed Curnow.

The issue is that only Cripps and Walsh will be A grade players, the rest are solid or developing.

Dow, Stocker and Settlefield are very underwhelming and Cripps is the only capable inside midfield.

Cripps' body will break down just like Judd's did.

Blues best midfielders are: Cripps, Murphy, Walsh, and Ed Curnow.

The issue is that only Cripps and Walsh will be A grade players, the rest are solid or developing.

Dow, Stocker and Settlefield are very underwhelming and Cripps is the only capable inside midfield.

Cripps' body will break down just like Judd's did.

Setterfield is far beyond underwhelming after 36 games. Elite hands, and a seriously fierce tackler. This Bigfooty myth that he’s no good continues to persist though.

You’re also forgetting Williams, who we have signalled will play as an inside midfielder.

Judd didn’t break down until his final career-ending injury, which was completely different from any prior injury he’d sustained over his career.

We’d be ecstatic if Cripps’ output matched the great mans over his next 6 years. (Brownlow?)

Setterfield is far beyond underwhelming after 36 games. Elite hands, and a seriously fierce tackler. This Bigfooty myth that he’s no good continues to persist though.

You’re also forgetting Williams, who we have signalled will play as an inside midfielder.

Judd didn’t break down until his final career-ending injury, which was completely different from any prior injury he’d sustained over his career.

We’d be ecstatic if Cripps’ output matched the great mans over his next 6 years. (Brownlow?)

His body did break down.

Judd had issues with his groin in 2007, and was never the same player after that.

He changed his game quite a bit at Carlton, and was still a great player, but he was a different player, and in the eyes of many, a lesser version of his 2005-7 self.

In 2007, people were talking about Judd in the way we talk about Dusty, or GAJ (but Judd was 24), potentially being one of the GOATS by the time his career is over.

His injuries, and the changes in his game it necessitated, means he goes down as a great player, but nowhere near GOAT status.

His body did break down.

Judd had issues with his groin in 2007, and was never the same player after that.

He changed his game quite a bit at Carlton, and was still a great player, but he was a different player, and in the eyes of many, a lesser version of his 2005-7 self.

In 2007, people were talking about Judd in the way we talk about Dusty, or GAJ (but Judd was 24), potentially being one of the GOATS by the time his career is over.

His injuries, and the changes in his game it necessitated, means he goes down as a great player, but nowhere near GOAT status.
People always talk about how much Judd's game changed at Carlton. But he was a contested ball machine at WC as well.

The difference is that he lost that insane breakaway speed and kicked fewer goals. But it's not like he was super outside at WC. He was already one of the best contested ball players in the comp before he moved to Carlton.

Here are the contested possession stats from 2006.

What would your strategy deliver in on field success for 21//22/23?

Players will take a hair cut to get him for onfield success now.

Does recruiting a slow clearance machine, with poor disposal deliver on field success?

He's a brilliant player, without doubt.

Would he be a brilliant addition to our team, all things considered? I not quite a sure.

His body did break down.

Huge distinction between his output dropping from A++ to a A+ and him ‘breaking down’

He still won a Brownlow in his time at Carlton and was one of the best midfielders in the league until his final short-lived season.

He lost his speed, sure, but he went from being a good contested midfielder to be undoubtedly the best pure inside midfielder in the league.

If Cripps drops his output by 10% in a similar manner we will still be laughing.

Huge distinction between his output dropping from A++ to a A+ and him ‘breaking down’

He still won a Brownlow in his time at Carlton and was one of the best midfielders in the league until his final short-lived season.

He lost his speed, sure, but he went from being a good contested midfielder to be undoubtedly the best pure inside midfielder in the league.

If Cripps drops his output by 10% in a similar manner we will still be laughing.

True, but Cripps isn't anywhere near as dynamic as Judd was.

If Cripps isn't in the contest, due to injuries, and not wanting to be banged up, where does he go? Wing? Nope. FF? Not with his poor shot on goal (and not when we have a glut of talented tall forwards).

If Cripps body breaks down, he is of absolutely no use to us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back