Training 2021 Pre-Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone seen the footage of the tackle? Pato got the handball away and Roughy came in very late and hard. Really could’ve been avoided.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Geez, just saw it on Twitter. Ben’s lower leg looked sideways before he hit the ground - looks like a BAD one.

Far out haha it's a freak accident. Would you have preferred they reduced the intensity of the intraclub game? What kind of preparation does that give the players for the season ahead?

It's as if your alternative was telling the group to go out there and tackle but not tackle too hard. It's ridiculous. In actual fact not hitting a contest with full commitment usually causes more injuries, not less.
Not the group, the coaches who are playing.

Look, I’m not blaming him and people here are freaking out over me suggesting maybe Rough could have not monstered a player he has 20kgs on in an intra club.

I stand by my comments and clearly some disagree with me, it’s been blown completely out of proportion. How about we all just drop it then?

Look, I’m not blaming him and people here are freaking out over me suggesting maybe Rough could have not monstered a player he has 20kgs on in an intra club.

I stand by my comments and clearly some disagree with me, it’s been blown completely out of proportion. How about we all just drop it then?

You have no need to defend yourself as you have said nothing that warrants it. Anyone taking offense will take so at ANY criticisms of the club no matter if it's deserved or not. I value your opinion.

Anyone seen the footage of the tackle? Pato got the handball away and Roughy came in very late and hard. Really could’ve been avoided.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Pretty much this. It was an absolute accident with no malice but also, the tackle was late and a lot harder than it needed to be in match sim or after a player has disposed of the ball.

Just bad luck all round. Hopefully Paton has no complications in his recover because it sounds like a serious break.

The only thing the tackle could be accused of is being a bit late. However, it's 10m away from goal and if you can * a defender from affecting the next two or three contests deep in your 50 you take the risk.

Fair play to rough too, i thought he looked cooked in the last year of his playing career but his agility didn't look too bad for a bloke 2 years out.

The coach who is playing is not long removed from being a professional footballer so to make up numbers he would be the most obvious to come in. Aside from the fact it's an intraclub game played under match type conditions, I would expect it to be treated by the club with the respect that it deserves. They need to go hard, they need to prepare themselves for the season ahead. It would be a disservice to the club for the playing group to go out there half arsed. It's just a freak accident.

You have no need to defend yourself as you have said nothing that warrants it. Anyone taking offense will take so at ANY criticisms of the club no matter if it's deserved or not. I value your opinion.
Well that's just not true.

Smashed him into the ground well after he'd disposed of the Footy.

Why?
Gotta be taking the piss

Ok there we go then.
Pato was not crunched, hit, squashed, squeezed, bashed, pinched or breathed on heavily.
Soft tackle with care taken, perfect execution and no malicious intent.

Good work Roughy, very very bad luck for Pato.

Exactly

The coach who is playing is not long removed from being a professional footballer so to make up numbers he would be the most obvious to come in. Aside from the fact it's an intraclub game played under match type conditions, I would expect it to be treated by the club with the respect that it deserves. They need to go hard, they need to prepare themselves for the season ahead. It would be a disservice to the club for the playing group to go out there half arsed. It's just a freak accident.

Well that's just not true.

Was a late tackle that would have been a free kick in a season game and a late tackle that Roughy could have pulled out of. So we as a club condone giving away frees in a match sim environment? A free kick which has led to a broken leg and possibly Patons year ended and may have career effects depending on how bad the break.

I'm actually not upset with Roughead. I question the logic of a huge man out of the game for some time taking the field in a match sim. His sloppy tackle validates this.

I don't expect you to agree with any of this either, i know where you stand on most things.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was a late tackle that would have been a free kick in a season game and a late tackle that Roughy could have pulled out of. So we as a club condone giving away frees in a match sim environment? A free kick which has led to a broken leg and possibly Patons year ended and may have career effects depending on how bad the break.

I'm actually not upset with Roughead. I question the logic of a huge man out of the game for some time taking the field in a match sim. His sloppy tackle validates this.

I don't expect you to agree with any of this either, i know where you stand on most things.
Late? What, half a second? As he disposes of the ball Roughead begins to initiate the tackle. Paton had his back to Roughead, who is to say Roughead didn't see the ball being disposed? Wouldn't have been a free kick at all. It was a fair play and unfortunately for Ben his leg got caught under Roughead.

I have to laugh at the second point. Were there no other men Rougheads size out on the field today? Why do you question Roughead being out there? I still don't understand your reasoning for it. He must be fit enough if he is partaking in an intraclub game, filling a spot on the ground because we needed him to.

Of course I don't agree with any of what you said, it's nonsense.

Late? What, half a second? As he disposes of the ball Roughead begins to initiate the tackle. Paton had his back to Roughead, who is to say Roughead didn't see the ball being disposed? Wouldn't have been a free kick at all. It was a fair play and unfortunately for Ben his leg got caught under Roughead.

I have to laugh at the second point. Were there no other men Rougheads size out on the field today? Why do you question Roughead being out there? I still don't understand your reasoning for it. He must be fit enough if he is partaking in an intraclub game, filling a spot on the ground because we needed him to.

As someone else wrote, we were short of players so what other options were there?

Even if we could’ve grabbed a Sandy player, that player may well have seen the opportunity to impress the Saints coaches and recruiters by going in hard; really hard, and tacking hard; really hard.

Unfortunately accidents happen.

I’m just glad McKenzie wasn’t the tackler because at least Roughie has enough fans around here to avoid a lynching.

Dan on the other hand

Thought I’d say more observations from today.

- Sinclair is best 18. Easily best on today.
- Butler and Higgins played well and snagged 3-4 between them. Very dangerous.
- Crouch is a bull. Can not wait till round 3.
- Steele did a lot of work out of FF. He lined up at FF at every set play inside the goalsquare. I think we will be seeing a fair bit of this.
-Long played ok but made a few mistakes. Bit of a temper on him but love that about it.
- Carlisle was providing plenty of leadership to the younger guys. Loved seeing that.
- Big tick on Allison.
-Crouch slot a nice goal from 45-50.
-Intensity was about a half 8/10.
- Evrryone in attendance. Some in the gym, some upstairs. Lethers, Finnis and Basset did not take their eye of the play for a second.
-Joyce was often the man setting up the direct plays from HB. Didn’t do the best of jobs if I’m being totally honest.
- Hill kept running and running. Was everywhere. Same old.

Didn't think there was a lot in it

Just bad luck

Didn't think there was a lot in it

Just bad luck
Nothing in it at all for mine. I would prefer we condition the players properly rather than go in underdone / not train the way we want to play, if that's what some are suggesting.

Thought I’d say more observations from today.

- Sinclair is best 18. Easily best on today.
- Butler and Higgins played well and snagged 3-4 between them. Very dangerous.
- Crouch is a bull. Can not wait till round 3.
- Steele did a lot of work out of FF. He lined up at FF at every set play inside the goalsquare. I think we will be seeing a fair bit of this.
-Long played ok but made a few mistakes. Bit of a temper on him but love that about it.
- Carlisle was providing plenty of leadership to the younger guys. Loved seeing that.
- Big tick on Allison.
-Crouch slot a nice goal from 45-50.
-Intensity was about a half 8/10.
- Evrryone in attendance. Some in the gym, some upstairs. Lethers, Finnis and Basset did not take their eye of the play for a second.
-Joyce was often the man setting up the direct plays from HB. Didn’t do the best of jobs if I’m being totally honest.
- Hill kept running and running. Was everywhere. Same old.
Gresh ?

What amazes me is you believe the crap you sprout. Talk about rusted on and lacking insight. Cannot for the life of you look at things from any angle other then your first and incorrect assumption.

facts

It was an illegal tackle
as it was late
caused serious injury

You want to hold hands with other rusted ons and lead them on a merry dance, by all means. Discussion over.

Mate, ive said id let it go. Youre completely missing the point, hes a coach. Im very happy to admit the tackle wasnt the bone crushing dangerous sort i misunderstood it to be (its still late and id argue unnecessary in todays game) but hes not a player, hes a coach. His job isnt to play its to develop and teach.

What amazes me is you believe the crap you sprout. Talk about rusted on and lacking insight. Cannot for the life of you look at things from any angle other then your first and incorrect assumption.

facts

It was an illegal tackle
as it was late
caused serious injury

You want to hold hands with other rusted ons and lead them on a merry dance, by all means. Discussion over.
So you watched the footage of Roughead initiating a tackle half a second after Paton disposed of the ball and you think that it was late. Wow.

What does serious injury have to do with anything regarding the legality of the tackle? That only matters if the tackle is high or overly aggressive. This was a stock standard tackle, he bought Paton down and unfortunately Paton's leg was underneath him at that time.

You have a warped interpretation of what is an illegal and late tackle, sorry if I disagree.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back