Training 2021 Pre-Season

Remove this Banner Ad

You, like a bunch of others around here, keep implying we want to blame him.

For the god knows how manieth time ITS NOT HIS FAULT PATS HAS A BROKEN LEG.

He certainly knows more about coaching than me (id argue he knows substantially less about WHS and risk aversion) but literal no one is above learning are they.
Dude! Please stop. Whatever you meant to say is now lost in knots....

There’s a few issues to be addressed re match simulation.

How do we stop Geary jumping for marks?
How do we stop Ryan Byrnes from chasing?
How do we stop Roma from walking?

You, like a bunch of others around here, keep implying we want to blame him.

For the god knows how manieth time ITS NOT HIS FAULT PATS HAS A BROKEN LEG.

He certainly knows more about coaching than me (id argue he knows substantially less about WHS and risk aversion) but literal no one is above learning are they.

I don't think you are blaming him for the accident, I an arguing that you don't want him to actually match sim. This is all after the fact Monday morning quarterbacking in my opinion.
If Roughead had played the whole game. laid 10 tackles and nothing happened, nobody would question his involvement. Usually we have Sandy players to make up the numbers. Tyson Milne played the other day. If he laid the tackle on Paton would you say he should have pulled out because he can't get picked in the team?
The point is during a match sim, it is fair dinkum full on body contact, Roughy was and still is a competitive beast, he would never pull out of the contest and thats what helped his team win four flags.

I am sad for young Paton, however I like that the match simulation was full on, and I don't care who tackled him, it wasn't a high shot, or a sling tackle it was an unfortunate accident.

Anyway I am done with this. I don't know if you ever get to training but these guys play for keeps and they don't pull out when it is their turn to go.

You seem to be making a strawman that im saying he shouldnt be playing. Im not. He should be playing but his mindset cant be "as a player" it must be :as a coach".

Its not that difficult a concept.

Lets consider what his intention was with the tackle, probably to show Pats he needs to follow up his handball and work to the next contest (im purely speculating here). Now given the outcome of the tackle is a broken leg do you think maybe a better option would have been to smack Pats on the ass and tell him to follow up?

Its a very very simple concept dude. Hes a coach, whatever he is doing should be focused on coaching not playing.
I understand what you are saying I just think it's a weak argument because you have said you aren't laying blame on anyone but then going on about how Roughead is culpable in some capacity to what happened today.

This was an intraclub game. It is the highest intensity of match sim the players will have before playing against actual opposition. Roughead being a coach has absolutely nothing to do with his on field intensity. He was a fill in because we needed players. He should be taking it as seriously as the rest of the players, anything less would be a disservice to the players. As in, he was playing the role of 'player' and not 'coach' however he should be and probably was doing both. Running around and tapping players on the arse instead of tackling them as a player would is not the kind of preparation or intensity I want to see the club run on the eve of the season because it doesn't replicate an actual game as closely as it should.

You are making an argument that because his title is coach he shouldn't be doing anything else, irrespective of the fact he is fit enough to do it if needed, and there's coaches around the league that do it every single year. It's a very simple concept but a very silly one. It's as if you've never known of a coach participating in drills before. This is normal and happens all the time, dude.

So you are comparing a team with 26 weeks worth of games and a preseason, totally match fit and ready to a team or a list preparing for the start of a season with no match fitness.

ok

Not at all joff.

You're smarter than that. Have another read and you will see that my raising of Grand Final week training standards was merely to demonstrate that (even at the very best clubs) there isn't some unwavering, no exceptions standard to how hard blokes are expected to attack training.

The truth is that the standard of how hard you go is flexible- and dependent on risk v reward.

All I'm doing is knocking on the head the notion that there is a simple answer to the conundrum where you simply 'train as you play, and sometimes accidents happen'.

The reality is that it is not that simple.

Or else they wouldn't have injured blokes running around with 'no tackle' caps on etc then would they?

Concessions to 'train as you play' are made by every club, all the time.
It is therefore not unreasonable to question whether roughy (and every other player who could find himself in the same situation in a match sim) could have played the risk v reward percentages better.

I am not taking a position on whether roughy went overboard or not (I'm not watching the vid, that stuff makes my stomach churn).

I'm just demonstrating that anyone advocating that it's a simple issue is ignoring the reality that 'train as you play' is not a limitless concept and it doesn't actually exist in reality anyway

I understand what you are saying I just think it's a weak argument because you have said you aren't laying blame on anyone but then going on about how Roughead is culpable in some capacity to what happened today.

This was an intraclub game. It is the highest intensity of match sim the players will have before playing against actual opposition. Roughead being a coach has absolutely nothing to do with his on field intensity. He was a fill in because we needed players. He should be taking it as seriously as the rest of the players, anything less would be a disservice to the players. As in, he was playing the role of 'player' and not 'coach' however he should be and probably was doing both. Running around and tapping players on the arse instead of tackling them as a player would is not the kind of preparation or intensity I want to see the club run on the eve of the season because it doesn't replicate an actual game as closely as it should.

You are making an argument that because his title is coach he shouldn't be doing anything else, irrespective of the fact he is fit enough to do it if needed, and there's coaches around the league that do it every single year. It's a very simple concept but a very silly one. It's as if you've never known of a coach participating in drills before. This is normal and happens all the time, dude.
Geez, I hope this wasn't our highest intensity preparation before rd1.

So, from all reports of today's intraclub.

Sinclair will be all Australian this year....probably AA captain.

Hunter is the next coming of Polly Farmer.

Butler will kick 150 goals this year.

Higgins will average 5 goals and 30 touches a game.

Josh Battle is the next Wayne Carey....minus the rooting of team mates wives and glassing people.

Coops may ot may not have ran on and belted Paton with a baseball bat while he was being tackled by a vicious hulking Roughead.

Oh and Steele will win the Brownlow at full forward this year.

There, think I've covered the reports so far

You claimed it was some high intensity, intraclub game today where everyone was going in 100% with many clashes simulating what a game would be.

That was not the case
No I didn't. I said it's our highest intensity of training before we play against actual opposition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im actually making an argument that his role defines what hes doing. I think its pretty straightforward.

We dont agree and thats fine but some of the histrionics over the suggestion he might have done something differently is ridiculous.

The fact that it is Roughead making the tackle really is irrelevant. It is soft and unfortunate.

Realistically you could of had a St Kilda listed player make the same tackle

A player aiming for a last minute list spot

Some random from Sandy

The point is, arguing that Rough shouldn’t have tackled or been in that situation is irrelevant. The footage shows it was unlucky, it is also unfortunate it was Rough in that situation.

Hopefully we get news that he will be back in 8 - 12 and we move on.

Im actually making an argument that his role defines what hes doing. I think its pretty straightforward.

We dont agree and thats fine but some of the histrionics over the suggestion he might have done something differently is ridiculous.
Yep and on occasion that's what coaches do.

No I didn't. I said it's our highest intensity of training before we play against actual opposition.
Except today wasn't an intraclub game or a high intensity hit out.

It was a standard match practice with half the side sitting out, one side stacked just running freely and continual stop-start passages step up perfectly to our intended structure.

Histrionics?
Reality

Except today wasn't an intraclub game or a high intensity hit out.

It was a standard match practice with half the side sitting out, one side stacked just running freely and continual stop-start passages step up perfectly to our intended structure.
So the club were lying? I thought from all reports today was an intraclub?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back