Training 2021 Pre-Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Shocking news for Patto. Hope he recovers fully and quickly, for his own sake. Roughy must feel awful.

These injuries are adding up.

Great to hear continued positive reports about how Sincs is going. Would love to see him put it all together and start regularly racking them up. He's had 28, 29 and 30 disposal games before, so he's shown he can do it. Just needs to do it consistently.

Hopefully Hill has a picnic this year.

I don’t think the analogy works. There is no co-relation. That’s like saying, “oh, if being super capitalist with a minimum wage that hasn’t changed for 11 years makes us a super power, so be it”.

Having good training standards are important. I don’t know if most premiership winning teams would treat injuries in pre season as an indicator, even in jest.

Mate I know it's a s**t day but lighten up a bit, of course I don't actually think that's the reason.

Plenty that have made a full recovery too though.
Mitch Wallis comes to mind

On Pixel 3 XL using BigFooty.com mobile app

True. His break was also very bad if I remember correctly. I suppose we still don’t know the true extent of it so here’s hoping it’s a more”minor” one like Gears’.*

To put my two cent’s worth in.....no one is to blame. It’s a contact sport and accidents happen. At an intra club match you want them going hard. It’s done. Let’s move on from the blame game and just wish Pato a very speedy and complete recovery.

* Having read back I see it’s not a minor break. Bugger! :(

Last edited:
Can't wait to see what injury we cop tomorrow, we've had one pretty much every day this week, Paddy might do another hammy or Max might do another knee.
Reckon the updates on AFL website of Webster sidelined with something, Kent bone bruising to knee, Frawley hamstring and McKernan ankle should cover us for a couple of days

So a certain player bashing site gets shut down and paton gets his leg broke...

View attachment 1060487

gGDbFg8.jpg

Stalking people's employment and hunting them down - gee sounds awfully similar to what he put me through, trying to be fired from a job I never worked at. Incredible turn of events.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess that's why every grand final week both teams try and kill their own teammates on the training track?

So they are as ready as possible for the biggest game of the year (and often their lives)?

No, of course not- it's the complete reverse:
Grand final week training would be the most bruise free training a player ever does.

What does this prove?

It shows that it isn't as black and white as the 'accidents happen/gotta train how you play' brigade would suggest, and a line of acceptable risk needs drawing somewhere.

Of course ideally you want training to replicate real games as closely as possible, but you would be very silly if you didn't temper things somewhat to account for the risk vs reward on offer.

Jono Brown running back into packs and getting knocked out all the time is a good analogy I think.
The first few times he did it he was applauded for his unflinching bravery etc.
But as it kept happening, and he kept spending more and more time off the field because of it (unable to help his team), the tide turned and he from memory acknowledged himself that he had to change the way he played because the benefits didn't outweigh the costs.

Same here- training like wild animals may help gain an edge, but the risks that come along with gaining that edge need serious consideration.

Ultimately the juice has to be worth the squeeze, and if things like patons injury happen... then the juice better be very very plentiful and sweet.

Btw, the military grapple with this connundrum all time when deciding how realistic to make their training too.

What's better- half your blokes in hospital and the other half the best, most hardened soldiers possible?
Or all your blokes on their feet but a bit marshmellowy?

The only clear answer is that answers at either end of the spectrum are probably wrong and the true answer lies somewhere inbetween.
Well done. You win the "most sensible comment of the day" award (there wasn't a stack of competition )

On moto g(7) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

Have to say I was really pissed off when I heard Roughead caused the injury, but after seeing the video it's so innocuous and unlucky. Just really bad luck.

Shocking that he'll miss the season, but fingers crossed he can recover and be back just as good in 2022. As for 2021, as others have said, opportunity knocks now for another player to step up.

Soooooooo..... Round 1 at this stage?

FB: Long - Howard - Wilkie
HB: Coffield - Carlisle - Clark
RK: Ryder - Steele - Ross
CR: Hill - Gresham - Billings
HF: Butler - Battle - Higgins
FF: Membrey - King - McKernan

IC:
Sinclair
Dunstan
Bytel
Webster/McKenzie/Highmore

Unavailable (currently): Marshall Paton Geary Jones Crouch* Hannebery?

Still looks good on paper.

Not at RSEA myself but have picked out these comments from the many posts over the last few pages

Nothing we can do about Paton but sit and wait for news, but I’d love to hear more about Allison and Hunter 👍🏻

Yep, 100% Terrible for Paton, & I'm sure Roughy feels bad enough without the tut-tutting from us. We still look good on paper with the positions covered by guys who are more than capable in their roles.
We'll be okay.

Last edited:
Absolutely gutted for Paton. I’m too scared to watch the footage. 2021 is a complete write off for the kid. I hope the leg break heals well and he’s able to continue his career to the high potential he was demonstrating.

Players in our best 22 are dropping like flies, may the injuries halt now!

I think our round 1 side looks something like:

Highmore - Howard - Wilkie
Coffield - Carlisle - Clark
Hill - Steele - Sinclair
Billings - Membrey - Higgins
Butler - King - Battle
Ryder - Gresham - Ross
Long - Hannebery - Dunstan - Lonie

Injured: Marshall, Jones, Geary, Paton, Roberton, Byrnes
Suspended: Crouch

Was a late tackle that would have been a free kick in a season game and a late tackle that Roughy could have pulled out of. So we as a club condone giving away frees in a match sim environment? A free kick which has led to a broken leg and possibly Patons year ended and may have career effects depending on how bad the break.

I'm actually not upset with Roughead. I question the logic of a huge man out of the game for some time taking the field in a match sim. His sloppy tackle validates this.

I don't expect you to agree with any of this either, i know where you stand on most things.
It certainly doesnt look like Roughy smashed Paton into the ground and as to the lateness..when viewed at real time speed, a split second call and something you think you'd like to condition your players to absorb. Just a s**t of thing to happen. I feel for Paton but I feel for Roughy too. No matter what is said or done he'd be shattered about it I imagine.... really upset himself. I don't think he needs Saints fans to be pissed off at him. He's one of us now and IMO he's been brilliant for the club ...Just a bad luck thing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back