Autopsy AAMI Community Series - Game 1, 2021: Carlton v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

The signs from Higgins are really promising. That high half forward role is one of the most difficult positions in the game. Requires really good work rate and endurance to go up and down the ground at pace. He gets involved regularly but also gets into great spots around goal. Ratten loves the three small forwards, and last year at times they didn't quite find enough footy between them. Lonie, Butler and Kent are generally closer to 10 disposal players than 20. Not everyone needs to accumulate the footy, but it is a nice point of difference to have Higgins getting 15 plus.Three goal assists last night and a few more score assists. Could've easily kicked three or four himself too.

Snags (or Missy as my daughter has dubbed him) has a footy IQ that is off the charts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Always wondered why he was so maligned at the Bombers. Every time I saw him play (admittedly I don't watch as many Essendon games as a supporter would) he seemed to give similar output to last night. Can't really ruck but is only in there for relief. Was surprised he was delisted.
Problem is at Essendon he was either played as the #1 ruck or #1 KPF

Odd fast paced game, yet that last quarter really dragged on for me, felt like an eternity. I think we leaked too many easy goals for my liking, but that can also be put down to the frantic pace of the first half. Sinclair outstanding off HB, hope he's found his home and can deliver consistently in that position. I guess we'll see Jake soon now that Frawley is gone for a while.

Problem is at Essendon he was either played as the #1 ruck or #1 KPF
yes, he is not either really. A bit like Mason Wood, both capable AFL players, but are 'bottom 6' players, good soldiers but will never be elite. Thats cool though, most of the 700 odd players aren't elite. You need soldiers in the team.

To me Clark will be a special player but Bytel looks like the player we have wanted for years. Looks like if he keeps on this trajectory he could be absolute top shelf. For his age his clean disposal and good vision are extraordinary. He looks like a better version of Jack Steele long term. I might be going early but he's got something about him that just oozes class and quality.

The good thing about all those players is if all play to their best and the young ones keep developing the quality goes up too. Crouch's best is A grade, Ross too, Steele was huge last year and a top 5 mid, Jones looks like he has a point of difference, Hanners still winds back the clock when needed etc. Sinclair and Higgins have shown they aren't too bad either this preseason. From where we were a few years ago it's an incredible turn around.
Oh yes indeedy Gringo, Bytel definitely has something special about him. He simply oozes class in the way he goes about it. It seems he has a very intelligent footy brain and the physical attributes to play the way he sees it. I'd play him as much as possible while managing his workload.

Seen a few posts about our poor defence.

Surely, that is easily explainable with the speed of the ball getting delivered now.

It makes it near on impossible to plug the holes that forwards will lead into if the opposition decide to Mark and go. Christ we scored effectively just by putting the ball into the vicinity of king when we went quick. The blues would collapse into that one contest and we would crumb and pretty run into an open goal.

It will be interesting to see if clubs choose to use a permanent spare after the bounce to counteract this. The way we used to use chips back in the day.

Aside from that, we look like having 10 different goal kickers week in and out. Not sure if there has been a better balanced stkilda outfit in this regards since maybe 97’?

Wilkie immense. Would love for him to go up a level.

Has there ever been a player that was impacted by shortened games as Hill appears to have been last year? Immense. This guy is the elite mid we traded for. I wanted to leave the ground with a chub over Bytel, instead I left with one over Hill and had to call the wife in advanced to let her know of my plans when I get home.

Impressed with Sincs, but we need to see more. Consistency is the key with him.

Loved Higgins Butler Billings Lonie roaming around our 50 at the feet of King. Beats lining up with Mcqualter and Eddy at the feet of Roo.

Poor Frawley. Interesting post game comments Ratten about his replacement.

Jones will help with the clearances. Ryder will be a huge upgrade in the ruck.

I liked McKernan. Great depth. Happy to have him cover for Marshall

yes, he is not either really. A bit like Mason Wood, both capable AFL players, but are 'bottom 6' players, good soldiers but will never be elite. Thats cool though, most of the 700 odd players aren't elite. You need soldiers in the team.
Exactly.

The problem is, especially with Essendon fans imo, is that when your team is underperforming you kick the shit outta the ones you've pigeon holed in positions/roles they're not meant to play.

Edit: Take for example Stanton. He was a good player, built perfectly for that outside mid, 4th or 5th mid that can occasionally stand up and have an A grade game.

But we needed him to lead the midfield along side Jobe. He wasn't built to be that player, performed admirably in the role but still had the shit kicked outta him at times because he wasn't appreciated for what he was, instead belittled for what he wasn't.

Should also point out before I get burned I don't mean Essendon fans on our forum here.

Last edited:
But we needed him to lead the midfield along side Jobe. He wasn't built to be that player, performed admirably in the role but still had the sh*t kicked outta him at times because he wasn't appreciated for what he was, instead belittled for what he wasn't.

Funnily enough Jobe's cousin has been in the exact same stanton boat.
We're just fortunate steele has exploded (and crouch in) should also help ross immensely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seen a few posts about our poor defence.

Surely, that is easily explainable with the speed of the ball getting delivered now.

It makes it near on impossible to plug the holes that forwards will lead into if the opposition decide to Mark and go. Christ we scored effectively just by putting the ball into the vicinity of king when we went quick. The blues would collapse into that one contest and we would crumb and pretty run into an open goal.

It will be interesting to see if clubs choose to use a permanent spare after the bounce to counteract this. The way we used to use chips back in the day.

Aside from that, we look like having 10 different goal kickers week in and out. Not sure if there has been a better balanced stkilda outfit in this regards since maybe 97’?

Wilkie immense. Would love for him to go up a level.

Has there ever been a player that was impacted by shortened games as Hill appears to have been last year? Immense. This guy is the elite mid we traded for. I wanted to leave the ground with a chub over Bytel, instead I left with one over Hill and had to call the wife in advanced to let her know of my plans when I get home.

Impressed with Sincs, but we need to see more. Consistency is the key with him.

Loved Higgins Butler Billings Lonie roaming around our 50 at the feet of King. Beats lining up with Mcqualter and Eddy at the feet of Roo.

Poor Frawley. Interesting post game comments Ratten about his replacement.

Jones will help with the clearances. Ryder will be a huge upgrade in the ruck.

I liked McKernan. Great depth. Happy to have him cover for Marshall
Most people (me included) were referring to our poor defence at ground level in our d50. In the air then barely barked anything

He got a week for this and missed a final.

The main difference being channel 7 replayed it 15 times before quarter time from multiple angles. Fox Footy showed one long shot from an angle that didn’t show the contact.

Macrae had the ball and Long didn't jump. Macare literally drops down into that head high. Still a BS decision for 1 week.

Lonie was great tonight, the way he combines with Butler and Higgins, he's got another couple of mischief makers up forward, great to watch.

They need to cut down on the sharing Globetrotters sh*t though, if you are in the best position to take a shot at goal then take it, don't lairise.

Lonie really got under some skins last night - he's seriously like an annoying little yappy dog snapping at their heels until they lose it - if he can do that all year, and get a couple of backmen more worried about taking cheap shots than playing footy, it's a win for us, I reckon.

Has there ever been a player that was impacted by shortened games as Hill appears to have been last year? Immense. This guy is the elite mid we traded for.

First time I have seen him live and it shows that they have been working with him over pre season to get him onto the end of a lot of recieves. they looked for him all night, and he was always there, for the give and go and receive.

The stopped man on the mark opens it up for him and with some free space he is just devastating with the ball. Interviewed after the game and wouldn't have blown out a candle, said the guys were cramping at 3/4 time but the long game suits him. Looked as happy as a pig in sh!t.

I don't usually wax lyrical about an established player, but with the new rule, and our personnel and gameplan, I was very impressed, more so with Gallagher and the others who have put this team together and identified Hill as the run needed.

Most people (me included) were referring to our poor defence at ground level in our d50. In the air then barely barked anything

i felt carlton at times defended the transition a bit better than us, but they seemed to fall away in a heap more than we did. also lacked the attack we had.

its been an on going issue for a while now that we seem to struggle with defending a transition.

not saying its panic stations or we should melt. just saying its an area for improvement.

having said that i think we gave up 3-4 goals from stoppage/ruck situations. ryder coming in will help that. marshall coming back will help king.

need to tidy up the defencive pressure/zone though

Remove this Banner Ad

Back