Preview Round 2, 2021: Hawthorn v Richmond, 28 March 2021, 1.10pm @ Melbourne Cricket Ground

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has the strength, but probably not the smarts. Hardwick has both. Is apparently the bench-press champ at the club. The only concern might be in the air. But gee he was impressive on Tippa and managed to win a fair bit of the ball. Martin may actually have to defend, which would be a victory in itself.

Shiels or Howe pick him up in the midfield, I suppose.
I like the suppose at the end of the sentence, because well, yeah, not many options for a player like dust
Frost takes dusty when he goes fwd, Hartigan on Lynch. When dusty isn’t fwd frost takes Riewoldt.
I would like Frost to play ringflog all game, and to miss the ball often, but not ringflogs head. Or even better it's time defenders started using their knees on this prick.

I like the suppose at the end of the sentence, because well, yeah, not many options for a player like dust

I would like Frost to play ringflog all game, and to miss the ball often, but not ringflogs head. Or even better it's time defenders started using their knees on this prick.
Agree mate he is a flog always putting knees in back then has the audacity to cry for free kicks the whole game. Can’t stand the Richmond team all sniping pricks. Lynch the worst of them but he won’t try s**t on Hartigan that’s for sure !

Howe out for Scrim
Hanrahan out for Chad (if fit)

Not sure how Lewis played for BH but can’t see who he replaces

I'm sure all of Lewis, Downie, Cousins and Scrim will be wanting to play and might have liked their chances at half time last night.

It'll be interesting with Scrimshaw because he's talented enough to be in the 22 but the back 7 rotation last night was: Hartigan, Frost, Hardwick, Impey. Day, Jiath, Burgoyne. None of those guys will be displaced so I think it makes sense to rotate the more versatile guys through other areas of the ground. Day and Scrim can take rotations through the wing. Burgoyne and Impey have forward experience and Impey has taken centre bounces for us before.

Ceglar should be on notice. He made some awful decisions last night. He stays in to ease the load of McEvoy but if he doesn't improve over the next few weeks, I'd like to see how the mix of McEvoy, TOB, Kosi and Lewis goes. Howe and Hanrahan also vulnerable.

A bit harsh but has to be horses for courses.

For mine Kosi stays due to his speed and tackling ability, Howe stays due to his bigger body and versatility, Scrim and Lewis come in and Ollie and Cegs go out. Cegs very stiff but his lack of mobility and speed means he misses this one. Ollie had some good moments but faded out in the second half

Silk takes Dusty when he pushes forward. Has the smarts snd strength and is our best option. Shiels to run with him when he’s in the middle.

Will be a good test as I can’t see the Tigers giving Day and CJ the space they had last night.

What are peoples opinion on Hartley and defending. I know he will give up 1/2 goals but he would be an offensive weapon on the rebound with these new rules, personally would think it would create a net positive if he became designated kicker.

Really hope cegler can tidy up a bit, he started better then last year so fingers crossed, I reckon reeves will be banging down the door come mid season. He would also offer a really damaging resting forward ruck...

The hardest part from week to week will be having the right team selection/balance but we finally get to make choices, we will be much more disciplined then Carlton which should give us every chance.

Now let’s hope those umpires try not to have a 100% lopsided free kick count, but I think everyone and clarko should now just assume we will get flogged on the decisions.

Once the forwards start gelling with the mids more we should be hitting 100+ easily which means we are every chance of winning no matter the opposition.

Downie in for Howe would be my only change, speed and kicking kills at the moment, the more dangerous we are attacking all across the ground the tighter the other team will have to play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm sure all of Lewis, Downie, Cousins and Scrim will be wanting to play and might have liked their chances at half time last night.

It'll be interesting with Scrimshaw because he's talented enough to be in the 22 but the back 7 rotation last night was: Hartigan, Frost, Hardwick, Impey. Day, Jiath, Burgoyne. None of those guys will be displaced so I think it makes sense to rotate the more versatile guys through other areas of the ground. Day and Scrim can take rotations through the wing. Burgoyne and Impey have forward experience and Impey has taken centre bounces for us before.

Ceglar should be on notice. He made some awful decisions last night. He stays in to ease the load of McEvoy but if he doesn't improve over the next few weeks, I'd like to see how the mix of McEvoy, TOB, Kosi and Lewis goes. Howe and Hanrahan also vulnerable.

Think Scrim played in the middle for Box Hill - Interesting

I don’t think Hanrahan was that bad. From limited opportunities he still had 12 disposals and 2 scoring shots.

If he’s available for selection this week, I would pick Cousins over Howe.

I think the one moment Hanrahan would like to have again was not hand-passing over to Breust for an open goal but ignored him only to have a shot at goal and then miss; was costly and can't afford to that. Always give it over to the free man Hanrahan!

I think the one moment Hanrahan would like to have again was not hand-passing over to Breust for an open goal but ignored him only to have a shot at goal and then miss; was costly and can't afford to that. Always give it over to the free man Hanrahan!
Saw that. Was filthy.

Unfortunately wingard wont be ready. I want scrimshaw in. Its a hard decision. Kosi stays in the kid has a very big upside. He must get games. It means lewis has to bide his time. So who goes out CJ hahaha nahh it has to be someone like howe started really nervously played a solid game but the most vulnerable but will see how things go this week

Our best 22 looks unbalanced with 2 first rucks. It's not likely clarko will drop either but McEvoy with TOB or Lewis for relief looks better suited to the game this year where fresh run is vital.

Our midfield also lacks variety TOM, JOM, Shiels and Worple are a competitive but one dimensional quartet. Wingard, Cousins and Downie would offer more run but how do you play Cousins or Downie ahead of the others.

We have half backs coming out of our ears and can't play them all. (Imagine sis was available).

Trying to fit players in is a good problem to have. Getting the balance right given our current mix of best 22 players is going to be interesting.

Last edited:
What are peoples opinion on Hartley and defending. I know he will give up 1/2 goals but he would be an offensive weapon on the rebound with these new rules, personally would think it would create a net positive if he became designated kicker.

Really hope cegler can tidy up a bit, he started better then last year so fingers crossed, I reckon reeves will be banging down the door come mid season. He would also offer a really damaging resting forward ruck...

The hardest part from week to week will be having the right team selection/balance but we finally get to make choices, we will be much more disciplined then Carlton which should give us every chance.

Now let’s hope those umpires try not to have a 100% lopsided free kick count, but I think everyone and clarko should now just assume we will get flogged on the decisions.

Once the forwards start gelling with the mids more we should be hitting 100+ easily which means we are every chance of winning no matter the opposition.

Downie in for Howe would be my only change, speed and kicking kills at the moment, the more dangerous we are attacking all across the ground the tighter the other team will have to play.

I am a huge fan of Hartley's kicking ability. Others will disagree, but I think he's the best kick in the side. I'm a bit torn, as I would love to see Hartley in the side to provide that offensive kicking weapon of his from the last line of defence, but on the other hand I'm not confident on his 1v1 defending ability against the league's key forwards.

From all accounts he is a great clubman and is too good for VFL level, so I'm sure he will get some games this year. In fact I think he's probably only 1 injury away (to either Hartigan or Frost) from getting a call up, as evidenced by his naming as an emergency for Round 1.

But yeah, part of me really wants to see him in the side because his kicking is next-level good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back