Preview Round 2, 2021: Hawthorn v Richmond, 28 March 2021, 1.10pm @ Melbourne Cricket Ground

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

mate we couldn’t even sell out the 3000 or so tickets the club got for Saturday nights game. Tickets made it to General Public... How did that even happen?
covid scared members lol

Hawthorn supporters hate Marvel Stadium, don't they? :'(

It actually sounded like we had a few fans there on Saturday, though!

We have to be realistic on the degree to which we can curtail Martin’s influence. I have reservations about Howe’s capacity to shut Martin out of the game. Much prefer someone who can hurt the other way- Howe doesn’t have any weapons to do this. I’d much rather Liam be assigned to the task, at least he gives you something the other way.

We have to be realistic on the degree to which we can curtail Martin’s influence. I have reservations about Howe’s capacity to shut Martin out of the game. Much prefer someone who can hurt the other way- Howe doesn’t have any weapons to do this. I’d much rather Liam be assigned to the task, at least he gives you something the other way.

Totally agree Martin runs hard forward but don’t think he runs as hard the other way as he leaves that to his teammates.

Try CJ? He could hurt Martin/Tigs big time going the other way! Has the athleticism, strength and aggression to have a good crack at him one on one and if he did well could be a big confidence boost for the kid.

He's the only player I think we have made for the run with role on Dusty and we need that way more than we need another small forward especially when you already have Breust, Moore, Brockman and you are bringing in Winged. - If you keep Hanrahan you are playing 5 small forwards - madness.
I actually think Impy is the player for Dusty. Jarman has speed, strength, agility and can hurt Dusty going the other way. I would even be tempted to let Impy run with him when he goes on ball. He probably hasn't trained for midfield so it wont happen. I don't see anyone else with all the tools.

Exciting that everyone in the 22 last week contributed something positive and we still have Wingard, Gunston, Sicily and Scrimshaw to come back in.

Finally have some depth emerging in this squad again, competition for spots will be huge for us going forward.

Totally agree Martin runs hard forward but don’t think he runs as hard the other way as he leaves that to his teammates.

Try CJ? He could hurt Martin/Tigs big time going the other way! Has the athleticism, strength and aggression to have a good crack at him one on one and if he did well could be a big confidence boost for the kid.
CJ doesn't have the core strength...yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scrimshaw in for Howe
Downie upgraded to interchange
Ollie downgraded to medical sub

This is my go 2. I would be tempted to bring in Lewis for cegs so kozi can move up 2 chf and take the 2nd best defender. I think Downie playing on the wing at the g would be a big weapon. Howe would get torched if he was on dusty. Shiels on dusty at mid and either hardwick or impey when he plays fwd.

Yep, agreed. The timing was just half a second wrong.

If Punky delayed the run past, it would have been a perfect connect for him to receive and stroll in.
Punky sometimes thinks he is still running past Mitchell, Lewis, Cyril, Burgoyne and Hodge lol. They would make that handball every time.

I know this should be about Ollie, but ToB marking that kick on the line then kick it to Tom Philips for his first goal as a Hawk was really nice play. Good game awareness from everyone late in the 3rd quarter.

That's right. In the finish, teamwork won the points.

We need to curb Dusty but of course that’s easier said than done.

The guy is a fantastic player so I give him his dues

However he only has to drive past a wedding and he would get best man.

I've been pondering this and think that Tommy Mitchell may be the best indirect cure. Dusty is a ball magnet, duh, but he doesn't bang in tight very often. He's usually anticipating and grabbing the loose ball or somehow running into the clear for a receive and then making a big play (of course he gets the ball in tight as well - because he does everything - but he's far more out than in). I think it's almost impossible to nullify him as his anticipation is utterly next level. Sure, you can slow him a little now and then but Howe will never get on top and stop him.

So, gotta keep Dusty from having opportunities and that means winning it in tight. You can't stop him so instead minimise the number of times Richmond can get the the ball. Mitchell and Worpel have to get the pill in every contest because if Richmond picks it up then 80% of the time it finds its way to Dusty. Hope that Howe and Shiels slow him a couple more times and maybe Dusty doesn't completely dominate the contest.

The less we can play CJ on a guy the better. Having him play the floating role with less player accountability is going to minimise the amount of serious mistakes we see from him.

I think if Dusty rests up forward you need a nimble tall with some strength, on that note Frost is one of the better match ups in the league for him. If not Frost then Burgoyne can match him for size and strength, and importantly, smarts.

In the midfield, the key is minimising the amount the ball gets to him over the back - so it's far more important to curtail the impact of blokes like Prestia in the stoppage.

I think there's at least one change we could make to this team, despite winning. The response was fantastic but there were blokes in there that didn't have the type of game you'd want, either in the first half or in the response in the second half - Timmy and Kosi were not amongst those players.

O'Brien only had 8 touches, granted - but at 100% efficiency, with 2 goals and 2 goal assists. What doesn't get measured was his impact in the contest that allowed our smalls to have an impact.

Kosi only had 7, but with 5 tackles and 3 tackles i50. Lewis may offer a bit more of a tall leading target, but if the aim of the game is to keep the ball at that end of the ground, Kosi is a better bet for now. He needs some time.

At risk for mine would be Howe, who had a decidedly average game and didn't contribute anywhere near enough to the scoreboard either through direct assists or involvements, especially considering he had our second most i50s. What makes him most at risk is that he has a player in the wings who is both younger, can play the same roles and with a higher ceiling in Scrimshaw. It didn't help that he probably led the team for fumbly moments and slightly missed disposals.

Unfortunately wingard wont be ready. I want scrimshaw in. Its a hard decision. Kosi stays in the kid has a very big upside. He must get games. It means lewis has to bide his time. So who goes out CJ hahaha nahh it has to be someone like howe started really nervously played a solid game but the most vulnerable but will see how things go this week
Scrimshaw >>>>> Howe, in pretty much every facet of the game.

If Scrim is fit, he has to come in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back