Preview Round 2, 2021: Hawthorn v Richmond, 28 March 2021, 1.10pm @ Melbourne Cricket Ground

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t think Hanrahan was that bad. From limited opportunities he still had 12 disposals and 2 scoring shots.

If he’s available for selection this week, I would pick Cousins over Howe.
I thought Ollie had a solid game. The behind was a poster, and he also took a mark that was not paid (deemed hit the ground) and also had a set shot that went astray (was marked by TOB) so he was getting chances.
He also linked up well and was generally clear around contests.
I would drop Howe before Ollie.

Hanrahan and Ceglar should be at most risk at selection time base on the Dons game imo.

However, Clarko loves two rucks and a lack of viable alternative will save Cegs. Also playing two rucks will force Balta to be accountable when they rest forward. Balta can play.

Ollie might be safe due to Chads absence. I am not certain Clarko will look at him ignoring Breust running into an open gaol, as favourably as some of us on this board. One thing Ollie does have is good hands. He should have given it.

Despite this I have a feeling there will be no changes. I feel Scrimshaw needs to play but not sure who comes out? Clarko will keep Howe as a lock down player which frees up Shiels to do what he did well on Saturday night.

Hardwick, Burgoyne, Jiath and Impey vs Rioli, Castagna, Bolton and Aarts could be a deciding factor.

I wish Sicily was playing. I actually think he would’ve been the ideal matchup for Martin when he plays forward.
If nothing else, Sicily on Martin would be fun to watch

Hanrahan and Ceglar should be at most risk at selection time base on the Dons game imo.

However, Clarko loves two rucks and a lack of viable alternative will save Cegs. Also playing two rucks will force Balta to be accountable when they rest forward. Balta can play.

Ollie might be safe due to Chads absence. I am not certain Clarko will look at him ignoring Breust running into an open gaol, as favourably as some of us on this board. One thing Ollie does have is good hands. He should have given it.

Despite this I have a feeling there will be no changes. I feel Scrimshaw needs to play but not sure who comes out? Clarko will keep Howe as a lock down player which frees up Shiels to do what he did well on Saturday night.
Thought Ceglar was huge in the second half, and played better than he did all last year. His stats for the night are almost identical to BB. There were a few brain fades, but given we’ve trained all off season with the 2 rucks, Cegs won’t be dropped based on Saturday’s effort I wouldn’t have thought.

Thought Ceglar was huge in the second half, and played better than he did all last year. His stats for the night are almost identical to BB. There were a few brain fades, but given we’ve trained all off season with the 2 rucks, Cegs won’t be dropped based on Saturday’s effort I wouldn’t have thought.

Cegs involved in a fair bit of scoring. Had a few horror moments but he was also key to setting up a few goals in the 3rd and 4th quarters. Getting a lot of unnecessary negative attention imo.

We were undefeated at the g last year beating Brisbane and Richmond :think:
If can beat them again and Saints beat Melbourne then we'll hold the longest active winning streak in the league (stretching back to our defeat of Gold Coast last year).

We'll be the form team of the comp :tearsofjoy:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As far as the Dusty match up goes I’d have Worps go head to head in the middle and have Burgoyne pick him up in defence, possibly have Silk spend minutes on him in the middle as well to spell Worps.
Dusty is to smart for the likes of Howe and I don’t like the Shiels match up.

I’m giving Worps the golden ticket to do whatever he needs to do to shut Dusty down and get him on the spread.

Frost on Jack
Hartigan on Lynch

Protect the corridor, attack the wings. Square it up inside for a deep inside 50 entry if it’s on.

Day, Downie, Phillips, Moore, Morrison, Impey and CJ should have a ball in the open space.

I’d probably run with an unchanged side to be honest.

Day is going to play on the wing. It’s just a matter of “when”. When Sicily and Scrimshaw come back, that might be the time to pull the trigger. Imagine Day on the wing, Wingard in the midfield, Gunston and Lewis up forward, Sicily and Scrimshaw down back. There’s plenty of scope for improvement.

Totally agree Martin runs hard forward but don’t think he runs as hard the other way as he leaves that to his teammates.

Try CJ? He could hurt Martin/Tigs big time going the other way! Has the athleticism, strength and aggression to have a good crack at him one on one and if he did well could be a big confidence boost for the kid.
Don’t know about strength. Martin rag dolls most of his opposition

...and worryingly the last few years see us give up plenty of goals in junk time. A collective fade out at some section of the game is really the only concern I have tbh.

Day is going to play on the wing. It’s just a matter of “when”. When Sicily and Scrimshaw come back, that might be the time to pull the trigger. Imagine Day on the wing, Wingard in the midfield, Gunston and Lewis up forward, Sicily and Scrimshaw down back. There’s plenty of scope for improvement.
He doesn't have the tank yet. All signs point to defence this year.

After the way Burgoyne played on Saturday night I will be utterly shocked if he is the sub. His value is still immense - and not just as an on-field leader.
Agreed. And if there is ever a game to have a cool experienced on-field leader helping keep our structures in place its against the Tiges.

Scrim is quite simply a better player than Howe and it should be a straight swap. Scrim would be best 22 every day of the week and likely only the injury disruption saw him have a run in the twos on the weekend.

I'd like to see Downie and Ollie swap places as sub and run on. I feel that Downie will give us more value playing at the G. If he was close last week then playing at the G gives him the nod.

I'm indifferent to keeping Ollie as sub or not. He didn't really do much wrong to lose his place but possibly Howe is more versatile as a sub. Toss up either way and they along with Cousins would be competing for the 23rd spot. In any case the sub choice is hardly going to make or break our performance.

Scrim is quite simply a better player than Howe and it should be a straight swap. Scrim would be best 22 every day of the week and likely only the injury disruption saw him have a run in the twos on the weekend.

I'd like to see Downie and Ollie swap places as sub and run on. I feel that Downie will give us more value playing at the G. If he was close last week then playing at the G gives him the nod.

I'm indifferent to keeping Ollie as sub or not. He didn't really do much wrong to lose his place but possibly Howe is more versatile as a sub. Toss up either way and they along with Cousins would be competing for the 23rd spot. In any case the sub choice is hardly going to make or break our performance.
Ollie as a sub may work. He's never had a tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back