Preview Round 2, 2021: Hawthorn v Richmond, 28 March 2021, 1.10pm @ Melbourne Cricket Ground

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Day is going to play on the wing. It’s just a matter of “when”. When Sicily and Scrimshaw come back, that might be the time to pull the trigger. Imagine Day on the wing, Wingard in the midfield, Gunston and Lewis up forward, Sicily and Scrimshaw down back. There’s plenty of scope for improvement.
Day is such an elite interceptor and decision maker in congestion in a lot of ways he would be wasted on the wing vs playing as half back flanker.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we try scrim up the ground as he wanted to be a mid as a junior. Also wouldn’t mind seeing Sicily on a wing at times next year - not sure if has the tank but loves a goal and his marking and kicking would be a handful around the ground (although similar to day if he’s an AA level backman why move him?).

Essendon v Hawthorn
10 Tom Mitchell (HAW)
8 Jaeger O'Meara (HAW)
5 Zach Merrett (ESS)
4 Andrew McGrath (ESS)
2 Will Day (HAW)
1 Changkuoth Jiath (HAW)

Frost is probably our best match up. But it leaves us short against lynch and jack.
Can't see how it wouldn't be Silk TBH. Best equipped size wise to handle the 1 on 1 and our best chance if the ball hits the ground. Frost will take Riewoldt with Hartigan to Lynch. Shaun will take it upon himself. His pace is still decent for AFL level as well.

I thought Ollie had a solid game. The behind was a poster, and he also took a mark that was not paid (deemed hit the ground) and also had a set shot that went astray (was marked by TOB) so he was getting chances.
He also linked up well and was generally clear around contests.
I would drop Howe before Ollie.
Ollie's skills were terrible at times. 1 awful turnover I can remember and a bad set shot at goal as well. Needs to tidy this part of his game up for him to go to that next level.

The only change I would make is Scrim coming in for Howe.

I feel comfortable with Scrim playing deep in defense and will add more structural flexibility than Howe.

Thought Howe looked very short of touch.

Scrim in would be good.

We need more speed and run for Richmond.

Downie in for Hanrahan and maybe Nash as the sub?

Minimal change it was a great fight back! but we still need to address that 2nd quarter it was poor.

changes
Scrimshaw - Howe.
Downie swap with Hanrahan sub

The Ceglar / Lewis one will be a watch this space all season, We are really playing 1 KPP short. The fwd line does require another aerial presence up fwd and down the line to support Kosi/Tob and bring our smalls into play. If Ceglar provides that he will play. i thought his output was improved on last yr although he execution can be below standard at times.

Rank
Name​
GamesAverage
2021 Hawks Time On Ground % Per Game Leaders
1​
1​
97.00​
1​
1​
97.00​
3​
1​
92.00​
4​
1​
91.00​
5​
1​
90.00​
This is great but doesn’t equal tank. Otherwise Kosi would be in front of him.

Anyway, just basing this off what the track watchers say. Has a bit of a way to go with endurance. Plus Morrison and Phillips, and Downie are ahead of him in this area. Can’t see it happening just yet.

This is great but doesn’t equal tank. Otherwise Kosi would be in front of him.

Anyway, just basing this off what the track watchers say. Has a bit of a way to go with endurance. Plus Morrison and Phillips, and Downie are ahead of him in this area. Can’t see it happening just yet.

Also much different running at half back compared to wing or midfield. Not to say he can’t do that though

Hawthorn supporters hate Marvel Stadium, don't they? :'(

It actually sounded like we had a few fans there on Saturday, though!
It's bloody hard getting back, especially night games.
I live in hallam, but stay at my mums when we play at docklands. Left the ground at 1030. Got to mentone at 1245. Don't get to hallam until after 1 after a night game.
It's a bloody hard treck to/from the south east where most our fans live

It's bloody hard getting back, especially night games.
I live in hallam, but stay at my mums when we play at docklands. Left the ground at 1030. Got to mentone at 1245. Don't get to hallam until after 1 after a night game.
It's a bloody hard treck to/from the south east where most our fans live

I was only discussing this the other day about no grounds catering for people living in the south east, Mornington Peninsula, Gippsland etc. The then buffoon Victorian Premier, John Cain, who was a member of the Melbourne Cricket Club) refused to approve the plans for the upgrade because it would have threatened the Melbourne Cricket Ground's (MCG) right to host the VFL Grand Final (the league-owned VFL Park had originally been built with the intent of replacing the MCG as the permanent home of the grand final, but the Victorian government, with interests in the MCG, refused to allow its capacity upgrade). Hence it was sold off denying so many fans of the south east a ground that they could get to.

I used to love going to Waverley back in the day lived in Malvern so was about a 12 min drive to the ground, could usually always get a seat, a beer and a pie if you went in the middle of quarters including no cueing for a piss. So many good memories at Waverley watching the Hawks with Dad and brother. The one thing that was not great was getting out of the ground as could take hours; so you would just turn on the radio and listen to the autopsy. However, we would always leave at around the 15 min mark of the last quarter as through the 80's the Hawks would usually be about ten goals up, so would just stroll out to the car with no traffic and be home before you know it. The good old days but now living at Phillip Island from Shoreham just cant be bothered driving to the city; so watch on Foxtel.

A great shame that the AFL can't cater for the people of the south east in this day and age. Just wonder if the Dingley facility the Hawks own, could be converted into another Marvel type of stadium with the Hawks cleaning up leasing it out and our home ground? The AFL and the Victorian Government to kick in for the stadium? I don't think that will ever happen sadly but would be awesome for all us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Minimal change it was a great fight back! but we still need to address that 2nd quarter it was poor.

changes
Scrimshaw - Howe.
Downie swap with Hanrahan sub

The Ceglar / Lewis one will be a watch this space all season, We are really playing 1 KPP short. The fwd line does require another aerial presence up fwd and down the line to support Kosi/Tob and bring our smalls into play. If Ceglar provides that he will play. i thought his output was improved on last yr although he execution can be below standard at times.
For the long term, Lewis needs to play and create a synergy with Kosi.
Lewis played well at Box Hill and looks 100% fit.
TOB plays 3rd tall. Kosi is quicker than I thought and was impressed with his tackling. I see him as a roaming CHF.
Otherwise I can see us saying, at season's end.. Gee we should have gotten more games into Lewis.
I'm probably in the minority but it's how I see our future. Jeka is progressing very nicely too.

So we get tix tomorrow for members ?

Yes

Member Group 1: Tuesday 23 March, 1pm – Wednesday 24 March, 9am**

Member Group 2: Tuesday 23 March, 3pm – Wednesday 24 March, 9am**

Member Group 3: Tuesday 23 March, 5pm – Wednesday 24 March, 9am**

For the long term, Lewis needs to play and create a synergy with Kosi.
Lewis played well at Box Hill and looks 100% fit.
TOB plays 3rd tall. Kosi is quicker than I thought and was impressed with his tackling. I see him as a roaming CHF.
Otherwise I can see us saying, at season's end.. Gee we should have gotten more games into Lewis.
I'm probably in the minority but it's how I see our future. Jeka is progressing very nicely too.
Plus Gunston would be 4-5 weeks away.
Chad a couple away.

Please get tickets tomorrow let’s get some Hawthorn supporters in the stands. Don’t let this go to General Public like last week.

Yep, agreed. The timing was just half a second wrong.

If Punky delayed the run past, it would have been a perfect connect for him to receive and stroll in.
If Hanrahan had turned around and actually looked, he might’ve noticed that too.

The handball might’ve been too tight in the end, but Ollie deserves a dressing down as much as Zac Clarke got a few years back. TOB and Phillips saved his blushes on the night, but I doubt it’ll save him from Craig McRea

More likely to keep more talls at the g. It’s not as if Most of them aren’t mobile. Cegs maybe but he had great positioning last week - even if he had a couple of howlers

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back