Review Round 2, 2021 vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

high possession count based on racking up a few in a row multiple times in one play. had a pretty ordinary night.

a few others that stunk:
farrell - just a very bad game. very bad. we get seduced by the rare occasion he bombs one and has a nice kick.
darcy byrne-jones - haven't seen him play a game that poorly for a long long time. sloppy by hand and foot and got caught frequently. he seems to thrive on high pressure and the training run nature of the game maybe put him off.
ladhams - wasn't awful, but i miss the guy who looked like an extra midfielder instead of a standard clumsy tall.
hartlett - wow. maybe lacking fitness and confidence but yikes. he should be pushing to be best 22 because we are a shot this year.
gray - couldn't really make an impact as a forward or mid. have a feeling this might be his last year. hopefully he still has some amazing cameos.
boak - didn't stink but by his recent standards was just a meh game.
aliir - thought he went backwards from last week. wasn't terrible and had some good moments but can do a lot better.
fantasia - when you're a small forward you have to make the most of your chances. he fluffed a few.
Some absolutely horrible calls in there. Boak, Aliir, DBJ, Fantasia all had great games.

It's really noticable when the ball goes into our defensive 50 and Aliir isn't on the scene. As they did last year, our other defenders look extremely vulnerable to giving away marks and frees at all times. When Aliir is in a position to impact the contest, it rarely turns out badly.

I thought Aliir was pretty average tbh. Beaten in every one on one and gave away a few dumb frees in front of goal. Wasn't his best outing.
It's really noticable when the ball goes into our defensive 50 and Aliir isn't on the scene. As they did last year, our other defenders look extremely vulnerable to giving away marks and frees at all times. When Aliir is in a position to impact the contest, it rarely turns out badly.

Hmm.

I'm not exactly sure what people are expecting from Aliir. The idea that he gave away a few dumb frees in front of goal is statistically wrong - he only gave away 1 free kick yesterday. As opposed to DBJ, Hartlett, Burton and Bergman who each gave away 2 free kicks and all had poor games overall.

I couldn’t disagree more.

ladhams is useless in ruck. We dominated the centre square in first Qu until ladhams went in and Draper destroyed him. Against quality hard big men ladhams will get smashed. He just lacks a competitive edge to jump hard into a body. Lycett is prepared to take the body. We rely on ladhams and we will get destroyed in the centre square.
Pete Ladhams has played 16 games of AFL football. 'Useless'. Terrible word.

Boak had a great game last week. He was far from great by his standard. Just ticked over.

The extent to which Boak went down on his performance last week is about the same extent to which Butters and Wines went up. Boak did less because we needed him for less. There are only a finite amount of stats for the taking in any given game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Duursma is definitely extra fumbly this year and has dropped a couple easy chest marks. I think it’s a confidence thing and is something he’ll need to work through.

Also, and this may be controversial cause he Couldve just had a bad game, but I don’t think Hartlett is best 22 anymore.
Duursma strikes me as a big game performer and we haven't had any big games as yet. He'll come good when we need him most.

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I thought Aliir was pretty average tbh. Beaten in every one on one and gave away a few dumb frees in front of goal. Wasn't his best outing.

Agree, he was down from the week before but I noticed how much ground he covered across the back line, just didn't seem to have a great deal of composure

I'm not exactly sure what people are expecting from Aliir. The idea that he gave away a few dumb frees in front of goal is statistically wrong - he only gave away 1 free kick yesterday. As opposed to DBJ, Hartlett, Burton and Bergman who each gave away 2 free kicks and all had poor games overall.

I think that when he takes intercept marks and peels off and everyone is really happy seeing that because it's exactly what we recruited him for, that becomes the expectation every single time hes in the vicinity.
I'll admit that at times I thought he'd go a little bit harder but the reality is he isn't going to be superman at every single contest. He's a piece of the puzzle, not the whole defence, which is going to take time to settle.

The reality is we have played North, Essendon and Adelaide who are all in 4 most inexperienced teams (based on starting 22 games played) in the competition. You can only play what is in front of you and we've been fine. I have to admit this has been a pretty dull start for me as I really hate these blowout games. Really looking forward to the next 5 weeks, WCE/Blues/Saints/Tigers/Brisbane. To be considered a contender it appears you can drop 6 games in the H/A season - since 2015 (and ex. 2020) Hawks dropped 6, Dogs 7, Tigers 6, WCE 6, Tigers 6. We play 22 games, by week 8 if we want to be 'on track' at a minimum we can really only afford to drop 2 of those 5. Interesting times ahead!

The extent to which Boak went down on his performance last week is about the same extent to which Butters and Wines went up. Boak did less because we needed him for less. There are only a finite amount of stats for the taking in any given game.

Yep. This was always the thing about good Port teams in the SANFL. There was often someone different popping up as BOG each week. The only exception was Russ, because God can't be held back.

Some absolutely horrible calls in there. Boak, Aliir, DBJ, Fantasia all had great games.
Interesting how we all rate players differently.

I felt Lycett started well in ruck, but fell away midway through the first qtr, so Ladhams came in and won nearly every tap whilst he was in there. Bit the same in the 2nd qtr.
Kicked 2 goals. Set up two others. Got a bit of the ball as an "extra mid" around the ground too. Just gave us some energy and spark.
He impressed me, to be Frank (but I can be Earnest, if you wish **boom tish**), and was in my best actually (just).

Boak, Alliir and Fanta all quite respectable too - maybe not their best games, but not too shabby just the same.
Agree with your other assessments though. A few had games they would rather forget, but only Farrell to my mind is in jeopardy.

Marshall is going to have to go back to SANFL and start playing the forward/ruck role so he is ready to take over from either Ladhams or Georgie when either drops in form or fitness.

I haven't seen much Magpies football, but is that a role we could reasonably expect Marshall to play? Suspect we'd be more likely to roll Dixon or Aliir into the ruck as a pinch-hitter if Ladhams is unavailable.

- Georgiades was great but I don't see it as a he or Marshall situation. Perhaps Marshall for Farrell this week.

Dixon,, Georgiades, Marshall, and Ladhams/Lycett is a bit top heavy. It's also one fewer slot that can be used to rotate players through the midfield.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back