Preview Geelong vs Hawthorn, Easter Monday 5th April, 3:20pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m still not sold on Sav, the boys at Krock don’t think there’s Room the big 3

I'm not sure how we'd structurally fit in all of Hawkins, Cameron, Ratugolea and Stanley, then there's the possibility of Rohan coming back in also and we know he tends to play taller than his size

Scott himself said that??!

18 players on the ground being defenders would not be too many i would have thought...but maybe it has changed this year.

Id say the type of defenders is key. More running defenders, ..can you have too many? Bews at his best imo, is when he has the ball and running.....certainly not under a high ball coming in .. and we have added one this year in Atkins ..as a 25 yo ..its good to see someone that may a few years a head of him

I have to wonder where the kid we drafted last year fits.. Stevens and perhaps Okumba...if not the beackline.

Too many defenders? Interesting concept.

Don't make me get CE to go all 'sick em rex' on you. He has already disproved the Kolo played poorly argument.
Partridge already disproved the played poorly in the GF argument. So all we have is a torching on Tex.

Nothing compared to the ineptitude of Charlie Constable.
how many positive posts on Kolo and how many negative on Constable do you reckon you’ve racked up the past couple of years? You have some serious man love for one and don’t rate the other one little bit!

I'm not sure how we'd structurally fit in all of Hawkins, Cameron, Ratugolea and Stanley, then there's the possibility of Rohan coming back in also and we know he tends to play taller than his size

I discussed this the other day, and it's actually pretty easy to fit them in - if we're smart about it.

Having elite endurance players like Blics, Menegola, Smith, Dunc and Miers actually really helps us, as it allows us to compensate for others who might not be as aerobically well equipped (like Constable last weekend).

This basically means that Stanley and Sav can essentially play 50/50 game time if we want, allowing us to only have one key ruck and two key forwards + Rohan at any given time.

If we decide we want to expose a shorter defence with a really dangerous 3 or even 4 pronged tall line up, we can then have both of them on field - in short bursts.

It's a huge weapon, and it's why I think Sav is the only one who can really play that role alongside Stanley, rotating, as they're both equally interchangeable when it comes to ruck/forward, forward/ruck.

I'd say, on a hunch, that this this why Scotty has continually said 'we see a role for Sav in the team' - this is the plan I think they might be going with, and part of why having Smith as a recruit specifically, was so important.

Last edited:
Anyone got the inside word for ins and outs on Monday? Cheers guys

Outs - Rohan (suspended)

Ins - Holmes

no confirmation after that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I discussed this the other day, and it's actually pretty easy to fit them in - if we're smart about it.

Having elite endurance players like Blics, Menegola, Smith, Dunc and Miers actually really helps us, as it allows us to compensate for others who might not be as aerobically well equipped (like Constable last weekend).

This basically means that Stanley and Sav can essentially play 50/50 game time if we want, allowing us to only have one key ruck and two key forwards + Rohan at any given time.

If we decide we want to expose a shorter defence with a really dangerous 3 or even 4 pronged tall line up, we can then have both of them on field - in short bursts.

It's a huge weapon, and it's why I think Sav is the only one who can really play that role alongside Stanley, rotating, as they're both equally interchangeable when it comes to ruck/forward, forward/ruck.

I'd say, on a hunch, that this this why Scotty has continually said 'we see a role for Sav in the team' - this is the plan I think they might be going with, and part of why having Smith as a recruit specifically, was so important.

Duncan isn't an endurance athlete - over the last few years he's started to average less TOG, and was under 80% last year, so I wouldn't be counting him in the same group like Blicavs, Menegola, Miers etc. Even Hawkins could fit into he endurance category in terms of game time as he plays above 90/95% TOG

And I also don't think the practical application is as easy as said - with the interchange cap reduced to 75 this year, if we are going 2 dedicated rucks who are essentially just swapping with each other, that could potentially be using 10% of our permitted inerchanges (swapping twice per quarter, so just 8 times per game) and that just doesn't feel like a sensible use of the interchange for just a single position. And it's not just the the interchange rotations it's using, but also using up on spot on the bench where there's not as much flexibility in the role -

It's something that may work on larger grounds such as the MCG where there is more space to roam, but at KP I don't see how we structurally fit all the players in

We may well see it on occasions this season, but considering the club hasn't really played 2 dedicated 2 forwards on a continual basis for a while, the idea of playing a 3rd tall forward alongside them just seems a step further from where we've found ourselves over recent years

Maybe with no interchange cap it's something that could potentially work, but with less interchanges now available, the idea of selecting players who are only going to play 50/50 game time just seems a questionable notion

Which makes us stronger everywhere
Which means Blitz can play back

Think we have to get used to the fact that this will never happen full time.

Scott is too enamoured of his perceived "versatility". He played him away from defence for an entire finals series - and watched a full forward kill us in a Prelim - without moving him back there. Most of last year's finals series as well. It's not going to change.

If they did... it would see a side that has numerous 3 times premiership players cover him for a while. If Dusty went down to never play again..it would obviously change them.

He is durable however, it seems the footy gods love him. When was the last time he got bad luck in a game
He is the hardest worker. Works on his physical fitness like no other player, surpassed GAJ, and works on the mental side of his game. He is 100% committed. He deserves all the luck he brings himself.'
Yoga, Pilates, meditation, mindfulness, boxing, strength, speed, agility- he is the epitome of a totally committed footballer, the likes of which we have not seen before.
That's why he is so durable. Natural skills aside,which he has always had in abundance, the rest will result in him being the GOAT, I have no doubt.

We won a premiership after Ablett went gold digging. Mids are a dime a dozen, it's the key position players who are hard to replace.

Richmond would still be ok without Martin, they play a system based game where everyone is on the same page.
They would not have won the 2020 flag without him. He sparked them before half-time when they were really struggling, and ALL his goals were influential. So we get the 2020 flag, and these conversations are redundant.

Boys im not going to come in and apologize for anything, there's probably hundreds of posters reading this wanting to know if Clark will hold his spot. Nobody will post it, so I will.

Good luck on Monday.

I don't think we can play two ruckman rotating from the bench with the interchange caps.

The only way I can see it working is if Rhys and Sav share game time and they rotate as a spare back. Whoever is roaming the other is trying to clog up oppo kpf fight paths and disrupt in the air. We lose a mid, gain space in the forward line, and potentially stop a couple of goals on the other side.

We can't play 3 talls forward at Kardinia and we can't rotate them off the bench so this is really the only thing I can think of

He is the hardest worker. Works on his physical fitness like no other player, surpassed GAJ, and works on the mental side of his game. He is 100% committed. He deserves all the luck he brings himself.'
Yoga, Pilates, meditation, mindfulness, boxing, strength, speed, agility- he is the epitome of a totally committed footballer, the likes of which we have not seen before.
That's why he is so durable. Natural skills aside,which he has always had in abundance, the rest will result in him being the GOAT, I have no doubt.

You forgot to mention the fact that he cured world hunger and created a permanent global peace between nations. Those are minor quibbles though, because other than that you did a good job being as ludicrously hyperbolic as possible. :)

I don't think we can play two ruckman rotating from the bench with the interchange caps.

The only way I can see it working is if Rhys and Sav share game time and they rotate as a spare back. Whoever is roaming the other is trying to clog up oppo kpf fight paths and disrupt in the air. We lose a mid, gain space in the forward line, and potentially stop a couple of goals on the other side.

We can't play 3 talls forward at Kardinia and we can't rotate them off the bench so this is really the only thing I can think of
We can, and we can.
In fact, for us to succeed, we must. IMHO.
We must play to our strengths. Mobile bigs like Sav and Stanley will not just play in the ruck.
And Blic as a permanent KB is also important.
Hawkins and Cameron can be assisted by another tall marking option. It might not work every week, and sadly we are already behind the 8-ball in finding out.
In our era of greatness, we always had 2 rucks with Ottens handy up forwards, and 2 of Mooney, Hawkins, Pods , NAblett playing as permanent KF.
Have always believed the very best teams play to their own strengths, not combative against the opposition strengths; exactly why Saints missed out on their flags in 09, 10.

You forgot to mention the fact that he cured world hunger and created a permanent global peace between nations. Those are minor quibbles though, because other than that you did a good job being as ludicrously hyperbolic as possible. :)
He is an intriguing player, and the praise is justified. Do you disagree?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back