News Swans Talk in the Media: 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Announcement: Swans YouTube Channel
So thanks to the awesome Kennedy Parker you will notice a sticky post at the top of the pages now. This link will take you directly to the Swans YouTube channel which features interviews etc.

Yep. Sounds like Scott wants to keep the academies, but just increase the price, and to be honest I am fine with having that discussion as the points system was put in place 10 years ago and it has not been reevaluated since.
How about the Vics get off their bums and actually look more closely at the Sydney talent. Why should Sydney be priced out to cover for the fact that the Vic clubs live in an insular, TAC cup, Kevin Sheehan world? I watched plenty of Errol Gulden in the local Premier league. It was astounding just how good his run was, and how elite his positioning was, despite endless hard tags. Premiers is no elite comp but it is rough and congested, and it was obvious Gulden was very very good.

If the vics are happy selecting players from under 18s or next gens games, good luck to them.

I didn't think it was that bad from Scott (who I generally find annoying), not great but not the worst. Not Eddie level of nonsense. He supported the need for the Academy in that it gets more NSW kids playing footy and didn't actually go into any propositions about how much more we should be paying for the Academy grads. If this is as bad as it gets from Victorian clubs pushing against our Academy then I'll take it. That said, I'm sure this isn't the last and most vitriolic of it to come.

Caroline Wilson is always good to stick up for the point of the Academy too so glad she was there.
Yep, I too find him 'annoying'
but agree the discussion around cost is the next discussion.
All aspects of cost need to go into any discussion.

What did Campbell and Gulden cost ?
- 2020 2nd, 3rd, 4th round picks + 2021 3rd round pick.
- We had to trade Allirr to get Hickey; Allirr trade was judged by most experts as a steel for Port,, Hickey trade (30yo 2nd string ruck moving to his 4th club) was judged as 'what ever'.. We couldn't afford the draft capital to do any better. That trade allowed the movement of our future 3rd to a current 3rd round pick used in points to match bids.
- A lot of clever pick swaps to improve our draft points.
+
- a lot of development time and $$$$ over the last 6-8 years
other factors....
- did the 'go home factor' result in Gulden sliding to p32, or Wicks, Sheather & Bell sliding to a rookie? (welcome to the Swans world)
- Ling was forecast to go mid 2nd rd, Stephens was tipped to go around p10. Why did the Swans pick them so much earlier? the 'go home factor'?

Yep, I too find him 'annoying'
but agree the discussion around cost is the next discussion.
All aspects of cost need to go into any discussion.

What did Campbell and Gulden cost ?
- 2020 2nd, 3rd, 4th round picks + 2021 3rd round pick.
- We had to trade Allirr to get Hickey; Allirr trade was judged by most experts as a steel for Port,, Hickey trade (30yo 2nd string ruck moving to his 4th club) was judged as 'what ever'.. We couldn't afford the draft capital to do any better. That trade allowed the movement of our future 3rd to a current 3rd round pick used in points to match bids.
- A lot of clever pick swaps to improve our draft points.
+
- a lot of development time and $$$$ over the last 6-8 years
other factors....
- did the 'go home factor' result in Gulden sliding to p32, or Wicks, Sheather & Bell sliding to a rookie? (welcome to the Swans world)
- Ling was forecast to go mid 2nd rd, Stephens was tipped to go around p10. Why did the Swans pick them so much earlier? the 'go home factor'?
I'd like to know how he was able to lure Jeremy Cameron to his club from a Northern state club after playing off for a GF & not attracting a trade ban.

Are they not allowed to talk about it? Doesn't automatically make it anti-Academy or biased. Scott said the Academy has its place and it's valuable, but that they need to price it properly.

As has been pointed out by others in the media, Gulden was passed over by every club except Richmond, so hard to argue that we didn't pay a fair price for him in a draft points sense.

Points system needs to be reevaluated for everything, whether it's F/S or Academy or any other priority a team gets to select a player. But at the end of the day if every club passes over a play no one gets to cry foul.

Its more to do with the fact you can bundle a bunch of draft picks in the second and third round and match a top 3 bid.

If you went to offer North picks 33, 36, 37 and 43 for their pick 3 you would get laughed out of the room.

They cant complain about Gulden, Warner where every club overlooked them.

Its more to do with the fact you can bundle a bunch of draft picks in the second and third round and match a top 3 bid.

If you went to offer North picks 33, 36, 37 and 43 for their pick 3 you would get laughed out of the room.

This does need to be looked at. I am not comfortable with us, or any other team, being able to match bids like this.

I am not sure what the solution would be, maybe there is some requirement to have at least 1 selection in the round you are matching a bid on or something. The rules about having to take in as many picks as you have list spots doesn't fix it IMO.

Even that stupid Carlton supporters tweet annoys me.

Gulden and Campbell were amongst the most exposed players in the entire draft. Everyone has known about them, especially Gulden, for years.
disagree.. the academy kids are well hidden from the VFL clubs. The first I heard of them was in the futures game when Gulden was judged best player for his team and Campbell judged best on ground.
oh wait.. that was played on the MCG on grand final day 15 months before they were drafted.

cmon Swans, thats no way to hide our kids!!!

Interesting how the experience of living in hubs has had different effects on different clubs. WCE appeared to hate it and couldn't get out of there quickly enough and it showed in their performance.

Half that team is dads with young kids, it would have been tough for them!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep. Sounds like Scott wants to keep the academies, but just increase the price, and to be honest I am fine with having that discussion as the points system was put in place 10 years ago and it has not been reevaluated since.

My guess is it'll probably end up with no discount in the first round, and a cap for top sides on how many they can take in the first round.

This does need to be looked at. I am not comfortable with us, or any other team, being able to match bids like this.

I am not sure what the solution would be, maybe there is some requirement to have at least 1 selection in the round you are matching a bid on or something. The rules about having to take in as many picks as you have list spots doesn't fix it IMO.

I dont trust the AFL at all when it comes to change around the Academy if they put in something similar to the NGA (unable to match top 10 bids)

Heeney would be at Melbourne same as Mills.
Blakey would have a choice between Brisbane and North (remember we aren't allowed to match any top 10 bid) we matched GWS bid with 34,39 and 40.
Campbell would be at Hawthorn.

So pretty much developing them using massive amount of resources and money to develop players for bottom 4 Vic Clubs yer no thanks may as well shut them down.

NGA is the biggest farce the AFL has ever done.

Most years you'd have actually done better using those four picks at the draft rather than pick 3 alone. It would be a pretty extreme trade to do in isolation, of course. But with several interrelated moves... maybe.

Problem with limiting that is the drat picks are a currency and a feature of any currency is they can be divided and agglomerated to facilitate exchanges.

We started with higher picks, but traded with three clubs to help them out (The Saints and Essendon deal for Carlisle and a 2 for 1 with West Coast) and inflate our hand by about 20%. As long as the value of each pick is set reasonably, it should work out that the swaps and the end trade are all reasonable.

Even that stupid Carlton supporters tweet annoys me.

Gulden and Campbell were amongst the most exposed players in the entire draft. Everyone has known about them, especially Gulden, for years.

All the criticism is stupid. Holes in their arguments everywhere and I have no idea why Swans supporters even bother arguing. It's like talking to a wall.

All the criticism is stupid. Holes in their arguments everywhere and I have no idea why Swans supporters even bother arguing. It's like talking to a wall.
Eventually that wall will be the AFL establishment.
The Swans have to fight for the academy and IMO should not budge an inch until the game develops sufficiently in NSW so we can draft a team of local kids.

Did you actually read the article you posted? Scott says the Academies are a good thing..

I thought most of what Scott said was pretty fair, although I did laugh when he said 'I think the big victorian clubs just want an even system across the board'.

Ummm, no they don't.

They want every built-in advantage that favours the big victorian clubs to stay, and any advantage another club gets to be removed.

Slight change of subject.
Coaches votes are out Swans swept the pool in our game. Wicks with 10. Wow!
Went to.the leader board. Best performed Swan?
TOM HICKEY!!!
How good is that?

Richmond v Sydney
10 Sam Wicks (SYD)
7 Tom Papley (SYD)
4 Jordan Dawson (SYD)
4 Tom Hickey (SYD)
2 Oliver Florent (SYD)
2 Chad Warner (SYD)
1 Callum Mills (SYD)

LEADERBOARD
28 Taylor Walker ADEL