Play Nice 46th President of the United States: Joe Biden (1) O Brave New World

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
People know Trump was worse.

Even you. You just desperately wish it wasn't so. What I don't understand is the desperation of Trumpies to keep justifying their support for the scumbag.

What is it you miss about him? What was the feature you admired so?
Well in this context- as FK was saying, at least you heard his thoughts, not just focused grouped PR and occasional restricted softball pressers.
The spectacle of Don in the presser vs Jim Acosta and co was always good fun.
I can tell you CNN and co wish he was back- all cable ratings have flopped now.

Well in this context- as FK was saying, at least you heard his thoughts, not just focused grouped PR and occasional restricted softball pressers.

And there it is. People like you simply want to be entertained by clowns and think TV ratings are important.

Meanwhile the US went to s**t because the guy was the antithesis of a leader.

And there it is. People like you simply want to be entertained by clowns and think TV ratings are important.

Meanwhile the US went to sh*t because the guy was the antithesis of a leader.
Well i was answering in the context of Trumps interactions with the public and press.

For a rubbish leader in your eye, he did do bloody well with the vaccines, by the time biden got in they were already vaccinated millions a day.

Meanwhile the US went to sh*t because the guy was the antithesis of a leader.

The US went to s**t well before Trump though - any country that hadn't gone to s**t wouldn't have elected him as their President. Life expectancy in the US had begun dropping under Obama, a trend that continued under Trump and has only gotten worse with the pandemic. Inequality has been widening for decades, and the endless wars had ground everybody down.

I agree with you that of course Trump wasn't the answer to these problems. But he also wasn't the cause of it.

I do have borderline affection for Trump because I did find him funny and entertaining. He was a woeful President and is a horrible man, but in a world of awful careerist neoliberal hack politicians, he was different, and that's why people were willing to give him a go after being let down again and again by the former - of whom there's some I have soft spots for! Of the presidential candidates I thought Julian Castro did seem to have some honest reflection on the failures of Obama, and I liked and related to Klobuchar's absolute contempt of Buttigieg, and think Cory Booker's and Rosario Dawson's "two totally 100% heterosexual people" relationship is fun and I like that once he knew he wasn't going to win he began having a bit more fun with his campaign.

But Kamala is one of the least likeable politicians I've ever seen, in a sea of awful people. I would vote for her over Trump, because she would pretend to reflect my values more closely than he ever would, but I would rather sit through a speech of his than hers.

Well i was answering in the context of Trumps interactions with the public and press.

For a rubbish leader in your eye, he did do bloody well with the vaccines, by the time biden got in they were already vaccinated millions a day.
Just 10.6 million Americans have received a shot since federal regulators last month granted emergency approval to two vaccines, one from Pfizer Inc and BioNTech and a second from Moderna Inc, the Centers of Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) report
That tally falls far short of the 20 million vaccinations the Trump administration had promised to administer by the end of 2020, as the COVID-19 pandemic raged virtually unchecked with ever-increasing record numbers of infections, hospitalizations and deaths.

The US went to sh*t well before Trump though - any country that hadn't gone to sh*t wouldn't have elected him as their President. Life expectancy in the US had begun dropping under Obama, a trend that continued under Trump and has only gotten worse with the pandemic. Inequality has been widening for decades, and the endless wars had ground everybody down.

I agree with you that of course Trump wasn't the answer to these problems. But he also wasn't the cause of it.

I do have borderline affection for Trump because I did find him funny and entertaining. He was a woeful President and is a horrible man, but in a world of awful careerist neoliberal hack politicians, he was different, and that's why people were willing to give him a go after being let down again and again by the former - of whom there's some I have soft spots for! Of the presidential candidates I thought Julian Castro did seem to have some honest reflection on the failures of Obama, and I liked and related to Klobuchar's absolute contempt of Buttigieg, and think Cory Booker's and Rosario Dawson's "two totally 100% heterosexual people" relationship is fun and I like that once he knew he wasn't going to win he began having a bit more fun with his campaign.

But Kamala is one of the least likeable politicians I've ever seen, in a sea of awful people. I would vote for her over Trump, because she would pretend to reflect my values more closely than he ever would, but I would rather sit through a speech of his than hers.

What is your specific issue with him? (apologies if youve already stated it in here).

What is your specific issue with him? (apologies if youve already stated it in here).

In the end, I think Trump governed as a typical Republican - exacerbating the wealth gap through enormous tax cuts to the wealthy, throwing fuel on the upward redistribution of wealth. He cut Medicaid, he didn't end a single war, he didn't pardon Assange or Snowden, and he amped up many of the existing conflicts. He didn't in any meaningful way truly challenge the establishment, which I think is what a substantial amount of people voted for him for (in this way he's not dissimilar from Obama, who was elected by people wanting a change from Washington status quo only for him to pivot to being an establishment Democrat).

By the same token, I do find some of the intense hatred of him compared to the "better" Republicans of yore by some liberals a bit absurd, when personality aside Trump wasn't any different than any other post-Reagan Republican, and certainly not as damaging as W in particular.

In the end, I think Trump governed as a typical Republican - exacerbating the wealth gap through enormous tax cuts to the wealthy, throwing fuel on the upward redistribution of wealth. He cut Medicaid, he didn't end a single war, he didn't pardon Assange or Snowden, and he amped up many of the existing conflicts. He didn't in any meaningful way truly challenge the establishment, which I think is what a substantial amount of people voted for him for (in this way he's not dissimilar from Obama, who was elected by people wanting a change from Washington status quo only for him to pivot to being an establishment Democrat).

By the same token, I do find some of the intense hatred of him compared to the "better" Republicans of yore by some liberals a bit absurd, when personality aside Trump wasn't any different than any other post-Reagan Republican, and certainly not as damaging as W in particular.
Sorry to be clear I did bold the part of your post about Peter Buttgeig specifically - just wondering how a relatively low profile / harmless politician (i thought) has earnt your dislike.

Sorry to be clear I did bold the part of your post about Peter Buttgeig specifically - just wondering how a relatively low profile / harmless politician (i thought) has earnt your dislike.

Oh! Sorry, I missed that part.

I think this article basically sums it up extremely well - he is the epitome of an empty suit, the kind of person who is building a CV purely for the purpose of becoming President rather than with any actual want to do anything to improve the world. He is everything wrong with politics, and has worked in roles for organisations that have been responsible for truly evil acts in his careerist drive.

Also, anyone that can speak more than one language knows how absolute horseshit his claims of speaking 28 languages or whatever really is.

But hang on a second, we know this is wrong. That we heard his thoughts.

He tweeted for months, and made statements, that the virus was nothing worse than a flue and downplayed it in a number of ways. But we know from the interviews he did on the side that he actually knew it was much much worse. So you weren't hearing his thoughts, you were hearing his lies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And his thoughts were invariably worthless horseschitte.

As to ratings, gee, some of us believe there are more important criteria by which to judge a US president than TV ratings. (Something Dumb Old Chump never understood, of course.)

There's every chance she'll be the next pres, so better get used to her I guess.

I ain't his biggest fan at first but he is definitely growing into the job more and more, decent SOTU
In a sense Trump made Biden's job easier in that he only had to show a modicum of competency to be seen as an improvement from his predecessor in the eyes of many.

In a sense Trump made Biden's job easier in that he only had to show a modicum of competency to be seen as an improvement from his predecessor in the eyes of many.

Honestly, even without Trump, he'd still be doing a decent job right now. I like his current rhetoric, it's better than Wall St Bill Clinton's, the things he is proposing is pretty much Obama stuff. Time will tell whether he can deliver where Barry couldn't

This is the most progressive SOTU I've heard in a long ass time, he is giving pretty progressive policies, way more than any president in recent history tbh

Just listened to a podcast comparing Lloyd-George and Baldwin who followed him in Britain.
Left unsaid was the modern comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back