Play Nice 46th President of the United States: Joe Biden (1) O Brave New World

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well i was answering in the context of Trumps interactions with the public and press.

For a rubbish leader in your eye, he did do bloody well with the vaccines, by the time biden got in they were already vaccinated millions a day.
One vaccine the US uses had no funding from Operation Warp Speed, and other countries got them developed just as fast. I don't think it counts as a brilliant piece of policy because it's just the normal thing to do it a pandemic. The fact that Trump supporters make a big deal of it reflects it was the only thing he didn't actually bugger up in the US response to Covid.

I was still trying to figure out if she was supporting him or not. Pretty important difference.

Yep, what she has written doesn't make it clear at all. I assume by the sycophantic first sentence that she is trying to criticise Biden, but she failed.

Clearly a typo and she meant "can't," but criticising Biden for not being able to speak in-depth about policy while bizarrely implying that Trump could does make you do a double take lol

Clearly a typo and she meant "can't," but criticising Biden for not being able to speak in-depth about policy while bizarrely implying that Trump could does make you do a double take lol
Trump could have a conversation about his speeches, because they were usually juvenile drivel, and trump is fluent in drivel.

Biden had a briefing with TV anchors prior to the joint session of congress.

Some highlights from Jake Tapper tweet thread.

Biden on the transition and covid.

'When I came to office, we had a circumstance that - we didnt have much access to information about what the state of play was in the various agencies. We didnt have - in other words, there was little transition that took place. So there was one thing that I was certain of, as it got worse and worse, is, I had to do something about covid, and get something moving. But I didnt know how bad off it was going to be. And the second thing was that there wasn't a whole lot of time to think about larger initiatives that I had talked about through the campaign. Because it just become so clear so many people were hurting. I mean really hurting badly - being evicted from their homes. And thats why I focused on the rescue package. Its not like I had decided 2 months earlier. And so we were able to deliver that $1400, which made a big difference to 85% of the households in the country, and begun to put food on peoples tables. And I dont know about you, but I have been around a long time, I never thought I`d see lines a mile long with automobiles waiting to get a box of food, and people coming up in, not jalopies, but in decent cars.

Biden on China

They are going to write about this point in history, about whether democracy can function in the 21st century. Not a joke. Werther autocracy is the answer - they were my discussions and debates I`d have in the many times I met with Xi. Think about it, things are moving so damn rapidly. Things are changing so rapidly in the world in science and technology and a whole range of other issues - the question is, in a democracy that is such a genius as ours, can you get a consensus in the timeframe that can compete with autocracy. Xi does not believe we can, that is what he is betting on. Betting on, democracy cannot keep up with him. Democracy needs to function, because if we go 4 more years like we had in the last 4, I really, honest to god, think we are in jeopardy as a nation.

In a sense Trump made Biden's job easier in that he only had to show a modicum of competency to be seen as an improvement from his predecessor in the eyes of many.
He also divided the Republicans, perhaps fatally, and united the Democrats to a degree unseen in years, meaning Biden is on his way to being the most progressive president since FDR, and receiving massive credit for it from the American people.

All panning out very nicely.

Last edited:
He also divided the Republicans, perhaps fatally, and united the Democrats to a degree unseen in years, meaning Biden is on his way to being the most progressive president since FDR, and receiving massive credit for it from the American people.

Depends on what he can actually get through congress.

Biden had a briefing with TV anchors prior to the joint session of congress.

Some highlights from Jake Tapper tweet thread.

Biden on the transition and covid.

'When I came to office, we had a circumstance that - we didnt have much access to information about what the state of play was in the various agencies. We didnt have - in other words, there was little transition that took place. So there was one thing that I was certain of, as it got worse and worse, is, I had to do something about covid, and get something moving. But I didnt know how bad off it was going to be. And the second thing was that there wasn't a whole lot of time to think about larger initiatives that I had talked about through the campaign. Because it just become so clear so many people were hurting. I mean really hurting badly - being evicted from their homes. And thats why I focused on the rescue package. Its not like I had decided 2 months earlier. And so we were able to deliver that $1400, which made a big difference to 85% of the households in the country, and begun to put food on peoples tables. And I dont know about you, but I have been around a long time, I never thought I`d see lines a mile long with automobiles waiting to get a box of food, and people coming up in, not jalopies, but in decent cars.

Biden on China

They are going to write about this point in history, about whether democracy can function in the 21st century. Not a joke. Werther autocracy is the answer - they were my discussions and debates I`d have in the many times I met with Xi. Think about it, things are moving so damn rapidly. Things are changing so rapidly in the world in science and technology and a whole range of other issues - the question is, in a democracy that is such a genius as ours, can you get a consensus in the timeframe that can compete with autocracy. Xi does not believe we can, that is what he is betting on. Betting on, democracy cannot keep up with him. Democracy needs to function, because if we go 4 more years like we had in the last 4, I really, honest to god, think we are in jeopardy as a nation.

I think he's spot on about Xi's thoughts about Democracy and the ability to respond versus Autocracy.
Can imagine Xi , Putin and little Rocketman rubbing their hands together when they realised a useful idiot like Trump had the baton for 4 years.......

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is clearly referring purely to domestic policy (the State Department under Blinken is a broad continuation of Pompeo's, which is frustrating when there's opportunities to return to more sensible Obama-era policies with countries such as Cuba or Iran). But while I'd agree he's certainly that in my lifetime (not a difficult feat), he's nowhere near Johnson's Great Society and Civil Rights achievements, which are more of a triumph than even the New Deal, but sadly we've never seen close to being replicated since.

In a sense Trump made Biden's job easier in that he only had to show a modicum of competency to be seen as an improvement from his predecessor in the eyes of many.

Yeah but he seems more organised and willing to get s**t done than, well basically anyone I can remember in their first 100 days.

The US expert on ABC radio tonight was saying he’s probably already done most of what he can do, but that on its own is the most reform of any US pres in decades.
The ACA was a much bigger reform.

Yeah but he seems more organised and willing to get sh*t done than, well basically anyone I can remember in their first 100 days.
Obama had this little thing called the GFC occurring and got a lot done in his first 100 days too.

I'm a bit sceptical of this. Firstly progressivism doesn't really = leftist policy. But surely the actual left of the Dems like AOC are still fighting him? Surely?!

I think Biden is trying to work legitimately collaboratively to establish a working liberal-left alliance, which is probably the prime reason why he's been substantially more radical as President than he ever looked likely to be as candidate. In that, I do think Bernie and AOC and company have pulled some punches at times to keep the peace, which has disappointed some of their grassroots supports (eg Bernie went along with the $1400 = $2000 thing, AOC has expressed concern about border facilities but didn't really point at Biden over it).

It mightn't last, but compare that to Keir Starmer, who took the leadership promising to unite all sections of the British Labour Party and then almost immediately went to war with the party's left, and this model should certainly look preferable to centrists. Probably depends on the level of pragmatism of the leftist as to whether they would prefer the Biden or Starmer approach, but I think most would choose the former, which certainly in the short term is going to achieve more.

Trump could have a conversation about his speeches, because they were usually juvenile drivel, and trump is fluent in drivel.

Yeah, I'd say that's why she worded the tweet like that (Trump can talk 'about' his speech topics vs Biden can't get in-depth into policy)

"So, great speech Don, if we could just drill down into some specifics of your environmental policies?"
"The sound from wind turbines gives you cancer and there isn't enough water in dishwashers" :tearsofjoy:

I'm a bit sceptical of this. Firstly progressivism doesn't really = leftist policy. But surely the actual left of the Dems like AOC are still fighting him? Surely?!
Well yes, as someone personally more aligned with the AOC end of the spectrum I guess I'm talking through the prism of Realpolitik.

In my ideal world Sanders would be president. But he's not, it didn't pan out that way, and I'm quietly pleased with how progressive an agenda Biden is revealing, and how the US is to a large degree approving of it. (In raw numbers the American populace has long wanted far more progressive politics than they get. It's just that the sizeable minority opposed to it are so energised and noisy.)

The much-ridiculed reality-based community?

Much ridiculed certainly.

You have as much grip on reality as Quade Cooper had on a world cup.

The incessant drivel from the origami weavers like yourself on here is ever so tiresome. The unhinged whining from those with zero idea on economics, science and basic statistics is just a pathetic indictment on the Australian university system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back