Port Adelaide's plan to use jumpers similar to Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Lexus, Armani and Emirates are or recently have been Collingwood sponsors. Are the brands synonymous with the working class roots the Collingwood brand claims, or are they more inline with the silver spooners at Melbourne and Carlton?

Collingwood don’t claim anything about working class roots connected to their sponsors. They just keep signing up A grade, multi million dollar companies who pay big dollars to be part of their superior brand that gets non stop coverage by every media outlet around the country.

Port can keep their prison bar/ working class bogan roots thing all for themselves. Go for it.

Last night you were claiming that NBA brands were too big to be affected by similar guernseys.

Today Australian Soccer brands are too small to be affected by similar guernseys.

But somehow good old Collingwood forever exists in a Goldilocks zone, where unfortunately their brand is just the right size to be negatively affected by a similar guernsey but you can’t really explain how. And they are the only one in this zone apparently, because no other sports club in the world has this issue.

Jeeze how unlucky for you guys.

It’s almost as if the market you operate in and your brand value affects how you might make business decisions.

Remarkable isn’t it.

You’ve been demolished here sunshine.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It's simple. Port wore the black and white to celebrate their 150 years and connection with Port Magpies.

In terms of the showdown, there is no, and has never been a history of the Crows playing against the Port Magpies so it makes no sense for Port to wear a Magpies jumper against the Crows. The showdown has only ever been Port Power vs Adelaide Crows.

It makes as much sense Port wearing blavc and white against the Crows is it does them wearing the West Coast Blue and Yellow, or Richmond's Yellow and Black.

The Black and Teal looks pretty good I think
Yep, as does the black n silver. Potentially even a combination, ie silver bars and add teal for collar etc.

And it gives the clear link to Port's SANFL heritage by retaining the "prison bar" wharf pylon design.

It was clear when they joined, that they were to leave the black n white Magpies back in the SANFL where it remains today.

This is purely a Port problem, they missed the opportunity to try to retain heritage link by running with the "prison bar" design in different colours when they entered the AFL. They had a chance to build their own AFL identity Black n Teal/Silver that was still linked to the "prison bars" but they chose not to.

So yes in novelty "heritage" rounds when clubs like Freo woukd go back and play in WAFL jumpers, Port was also given permission to play in a SANFL strip.

And the Pies were happy to give a nod to help Port out for 150 year and special members jumpers that were all about celebrations.

But as a regular jumper, nup. AFL Port has no link to the wharf pylons....they themselves made that call.

Screenshot_20210502-115024_Samsung Internet.jpg

Yep, as does the black n silver. Potentially even a combination, ie silver bars and add teal for collar etc.

And it gives the clear link to Port's SANFL heritage by retaining the "prison bar" wharf pylon design.

It was clear when they joined, that they were to leave the black n white Magpies back in the SANFL where it remains today.

This is purely a Port problem, they missed the opportunity to try to retain heritage link by running with the "prison bar" design in different colours when they entered the AFL. They had a chance to build their own AFL identity Black n Teal/Silver that was still linked to the "prison bars" but they chose not to.

So yes in novelty "heritage" rounds when clubs like Freo woukd go back and play in WAFL jumpers, Port was also given permission to play in a SANFL strip.

And the Pies were happy to give a nod to help Port out for 150 year and special members jumpers that were all about celebrations.

But as a regular jumper, nup. AFL Port has no link to the wharf pylons....they themselves made that call.

View attachment 1116741
I'll think you'll find we were told before entry that black, white & silver wasn't enough and to add another colour, but things change Freo have dropped two colours for example.

View attachment 1116741
It is a simple fix ... but common sense doesn’t come into it ... yes I agree the Black and Silver is a great combo too

I'll think you'll find we were told before entry that black, white & silver wasn't enough and to add another colour, but things change Freo have dropped two colours for example.
The black and silver look great ... I would have no problems with that ... maybe not against Collingwood though

It is a simple fix ... but common sense doesn’t come into it ... yes I agree the Black and Silver is a great combo too
Ed has a tizzy about us wearing silver as well my suspicion is this would get blocked also..

1619751484037-png.1114986

We actually had several early options knocked back so it wasn’t Port missing the opportunity by choice.

Freo are embracing their own unique identity - purple. So yes, no need for red or green.

Port keep trying to move back to black n white stripes....another established AFL clubs identity.

They had the chance to retain the wharf pylons as part of jumper with a different colour combination....they didn't.

The wharf pylons have absolutely nothing to do with the AFL, or Showdowns or the Crows.

The only place the wharf pylons are relevant are in 150 year celebrations, or "heritage rounds" where clubs bring out old jumpers - ie Freo where WAFL jumpers, Adelaide play in old SA tops, Richmond play in stripes etc.

Port chose to leave the wharf pylons to the SANFL

It’s almost as if the market you operate in and your brand value affects how you might make business decisions.

Remarkable isn’t it.

You’ve been demolished here sunshine.

You still can't explain why the market is different and why another team changing to their colours hasn't affected the Chicago Bulls, Toronto Maple Leafs or Sydney FC but it will affect Collingwood.

You've argued the cost to Collingwood's brand will be "many millions" worth of Collingwood's $39mil brand valuation, so such a significant percentage should be easy to explain.

Any time you're ready.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We actually had several early options knocked back so it wasn’t Port missing the opportunity by choice.
And it wasn't Eddie knocking them back (he had nothing to do with Collingwood when Port were entering), it was the league that knocked you back if you couldn't differentiate yourself from Collingwood’s black n white stripes.

Nothing has changed from AFL perspective.

It is just Port trying to pivot away from the AFL Power identity, and again trying to push the black n white stripes.

And it wasn't Eddie knocking them back (he had nothing to do with Collingwood when Port were entering), it was the league that knocked you back if you couldn't differentiate yourself from Collingwood’s black n white stripes.

The options knocked back weren’t black and white stripes, they were more like the examples you used in the post I responded to.

Ed has a tizzy about us wearing silver as well my suspicion is this would get blocked also..

1619751484037-png.1114986

Adelaide Uni Blacks. Bob Neil would be rolling in his grave.

I have no problem with the use of teal in our current home kit but if we choose to drop it that's our business regardless of numpties over the border screaming ITS YOUR BRAND!!!!!!

Magenta was knocked back, bright teal was knocked back?

What options were put forward back in mid 90s when joining? Pics?

Your post mentioned silver, not magenta. Besides, magenta has never been part of the AFL colour scheme.

We presented several options with a black and silver colour scheme as our initial pitch and was knocked back.

I don’t have pics but know this via a connection I have to the Port board at the time.

As a Collingwood supporter, I have no issue with Port wearing the prison bar guernsey for home games.

Logically, the 'brand' argument doesn't stack up when you compare sporting clubs and competitions internationally. If the strength and value of Collingwood's brand is dependant upon what other clubs wear in their home games, then it isn't a very strong brand to begin with. Also, the prison bar guernsey and Collingwood's guernsey are fundamentally different designs. Obviously, you would avoid a clash situation - but they are hardly one-to-one facsimiles of each other.

Many of the other arguments against Port wearing their prison bar guernsey for home games are nothing more than thinly-veiled parochial "bend the knee" power trips based on historical factors. The persuasiveness of these arguments fade with time as there are now generations of Port supporters (and Collingwood supporters) who cannot readily conceive of a time before Port was part of the national competition.

That said, I don't know why Port would abandon teal on their home guernsey entirely as it is probably in the top 5 colours.

Your post mentioned silver, not magenta. Besides, magenta has never been part of the AFL colour scheme.

We presented several options with a black and silver colour scheme as our initial pitch and was knocked back.

I don’t have pics but know this via a connection I have to the Port board at the time.
Three example alternate "prison bar" designs that I added as a pic. The magenta a dramatic clash option that actually aligned with Port heritage.

Be good to see original options that were knocked back.

But in any case, a black and Teal prison bar in AFL whilst the Magpies still played in BnW in SANFL helps align heritage, whilst also ensuring it doesn't encroach on the Pies black and white stripes in the AFL.

Three example alternate "prison bar" designs that I added as a pic. The magenta a dramatic clash option that actually aligned with Port heritage.

Be good to see original options that were knocked back.

But in any case, a black and Teal prison bar in AFL whilst the Magpies still played in BnW in SANFL helps align heritage, whilst also ensuring it doesn't encroach on the Pies black and white stripes in the AFL.
Dunno why it's a foreign concept to you but the fans want to see (on the odd occasion) their best team playing in a strip exactly as they had been seeing it for the better part of a hundred years) not a diluted version of it.*

Is it because you guys only occasionally wear your traditional one as a clash strip?

*Full disclosure, I'd tolerate a silver teal FrankenGuernsey as an alternative, but only as a secondary version of the original

Remove this Banner Ad

Back