Port Adelaide's plan to use jumpers similar to Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Ed has a tizzy about us wearing silver as well my suspicion is this would get blocked also..

1619751484037-png.1114986
That is a great colour combination... I could see than being ok ... and maybe reversed against Collingwood ... with silver the main colour

That is a great colour combination... I could see than being ok ... and maybe reversed against Collingwood ... with silver the main colour
Congratulations you just described our current clash strip which the former C-wood Pres. just had a sook about

Dunno why it's a foreign concept to you but the fans want to see (on the odd occasion) their best team playing in a strip exactly as they had been seeing it for the better part of a hundred years) not a diluted version of it.*

Is it because you guys only occasionally wear your traditional one as a clash strip?

*Full disclosure, I'd tolerate a silver teal FrankenGuernsey as an alternative, but only as a secondary version of the original

As a comment above noted, there are now a generation of Port supporters who cannot readily conceive of a time before Port was part of the national competition...25 years and Port has had no wharf pylons.

Embrace teal which really is a great unique colour which pops against black.

If a Port fan wants a dose of nostalgia, or to show their kid what SANFL footy is, they still can go and watch Port play Norwood at Alberton and tell em stories about Russell Ebert, Cunningham, J.Cahill, N.Buckley and Jeremy Clayton etc all the SANFL Port Magpie champions.

Embrace teal which really is a great unique colour which pops against black.

This is a repeated theme in this thread where we're being told what the Port Adelaide supporterbase should like as if I can just send out a group text and everyone will suddenly not like the bars anymore.

The club is now pushing this because the supporterbase has been pushing it hard for years. Teal stuff is less popular across the board.

This is a repeated theme in this thread where we're being told what the Port Adelaide supporterbase should like as if I can just send out a group text and everyone will suddenly not like the bars anymore.

The club is now pushing this because the supporterbase has been pushing it hard for years. Teal stuff is less popular across the board.

You could pop a sign up at Centrelink....the fans will see that soon enough.

....It works for pies fans - albeit the message needs to be in crayon.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Port have been in the AFL for almost 25 years...a generation and have never had any association with the 'Bars.

The 'Bars are in the SANFL every week...they haven't gone anywhere.

Port had the chance to create an AFL identity linked to the 'Bars, but went with lightning bolts and chevrons.

Port had the chance to create an AFL identity linked to the 'Bars, but went with lightning bolts and chevrons.

Myth.

Port entered the comp with black, white, silver teal and no vertical stripes because they HAD TO in order to be granted a license.

Find me one Port fan old enough to remember the 90s who thinks the club wanted to distance themselves from the prison bars, I'll wait.

Port have been in the AFL for almost 25 years...a generation and have never had any association with the 'Bars.

The 'Bars are in the SANFL every week...they haven't gone anywhere.

The supporter base has been pushing for the bars since the day the Power identity was announced, and the club has asked to wear the bars basically every year since the first heritage round in 2003.

The idea that we've completely ignored the bars since 1996 is insane from the perspective of a Port supporter. The original guernsey was never popular and was so unpopular that we changed it when a design by a 7 year old was submitted as part of a competition. The bars have been the preferred guernsey of the supporterbase the entire time.

Remember that our board has never been supporter controlled. It was previously SANFL controlled and since the OneClub merger has been AFL controlled. If supporters had control over the club this would have been pushed a lot harder a lot earlier.

The original guernsey was never popular and was so unpopular that we changed it when a design by a 7 year old was submitted as part of a competition.
It's very strange to me that the Port supporters apparently hate the only jumper the club has won a top league premiership in...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's very strange to me that the Port supporters apparently hate the only jumper the club has won a top league premiership in...

It's not complicated. It was a compromise that for a huge section of the supporter base never really felt like a Port guernsey. It's a very 90s product of its time and it's a symbol of our ban from wearing our preferred guernsey.

If we were allowed to wear the bars at our leisure it would probably be looked upon fondly as a quirky product of its time like the Norwich birdpoo shirt or the West Coast Ochre guernsey.

The supporter base has been pushing for the bars since the day the Power identity was announced, and the club has asked to wear the bars basically every year since the first heritage round in 2003.

The idea that we've completely ignored the bars since 1996 is insane from the perspective of a Port supporter. The original guernsey was never popular and was so unpopular that we changed it when a design by a 7 year old was submitted as part of a competition. The bars have been the preferred guernsey of the supporterbase the entire time.

Remember that our board has never been supporter controlled. It was previously SANFL controlled and since the OneClub merger has been AFL controlled. If supporters had control over the club this would have been pushed a lot harder a lot earlier.

In what planet can a team join a league and copy the identity of an existing club?

What's next, the Tassie team wanting to be the Tigers and wear black and yellow?

Ludicrous.

In what planet can a team join a league and copy the identity of an existing club?

What's next, the Tassie team wanting to be the Tigers and wear black and yellow?

Ludicrous.

There are countless examples all over the sporting world of teams adopting colours that were used by existing teams in their league.

Nobody is asking for us to be the Magpies.

If it wasn't for the success in the 'Bars we would never have been given an AFL license, it's a ridiculous point you are babbling about.
And if it wern't for the failures of the Fremantle, you wouldn't have been given an AFL license.

Then you’re delusional.

Collingwood has been the biggest name in football since the early 1900s.

Eddie amplified it further, but now you’re being disingenuous to the extreme, and hardly discussing this in good faith.

Bigger than West Coast or Richmond? Well you learn something new everyday.

Bigger than West Coast or Richmond? Well you learn something new everyday.

Can’t imagine there was much chat about west coast in the 1930s.

But since you ask. Yep. Even bigger than the weagles or tiggers.

It's simple. Port wore the black and white to celebrate their 150 years and connection with Port Magpies.

In terms of the showdown, there is no, and has never been a history of the Crows playing against the Port Magpies so it makes no sense for Port to wear a Magpies jumper against the Crows. The showdown has only ever been Port Power vs Adelaide Crows.

It makes as much sense Port wearing blavc and white against the Crows is it does them wearing the West Coast Blue and Yellow, or Richmond's Yellow and Black.
Well there is. The Crows lifesaver colours represent (supposedly) the colours of the composite SANFL teams minus the ports black and white. Ports heritage in the showdowns do mean something. Port very reasonably wants to wear the PBs in showdowns while others here, without any credible evidence, are claiming it is some sort of an ilicit strategic plot to wear the PBs in all matches. Some here are claiming Port want to use the magpie moniker in AFL matches even though Port has retired that moniker from its SANFL side. I mean FFS.

We actually had several early options knocked back so it wasn’t Port missing the opportunity by choice.
Yet in its original 1990 AFL bid, Collingwood seemed to have no issue with Port wearing their black and white PBs in all matches except when they play Collingwood. If the SANFL hadn't scuppered Ports bid this thread wouldn't exist.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back