Is Buckley A Good Coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The senior coach is an important club figure and a legitimate topic of discussion. It's fair to do so and everyone has a right to express their view.

The mod team observed that the thread was dominated by a few protagonists and their points were repeated i.e. 8 years of regression vs marked improvement in 17,18 etc Pretty much everyone with a strong opinion has already expressed it here.

What further degraded discussion was the simplistic "sack FIGJAM" or "he's a legend" type posts.

This thread will remain open. If your view has slightly shifted or you have new thoughts please share. In an effort to encourage quality discussion repetitive statements and circular arguments will from now on be deleted as will silly posts suggesting that we sack a coach on match-day.

FYI Gone Critical Anzacday Maggie5

Last edited:
Don't quote me, but I'm pretty sure there have been assistants leave clubs mid season to take up a senior role. I can't think of a name at the moment but I can recall an assistant leaving a club mid season and that club stating that they would not stand in the way of him taking up a senior role. Maybe someone here can remember.
There have been in the past but I think the AFL put a stop to it. Sack Bucks and it would most likely be Harvey in charge for the remainder of the season.

Ive just outlined we have access to $40 mill
Not really. What you outlined was that an ex-president with a penchant for hyperbole has quoted some figures that have not been substantiated.

I stand by my original premise. If attendances continue to remain low the financial impact of Buckley remaining coach will be one of the major criteria for the board when considering whether to renew his contract.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me mate, I appreciate it.

I'm supportive of whatever is best for the club going forward, that includes how to manage the rest of the year.

Buckley can make a real difference to the kids by showing faith in them and weathering the media storm, even if he doesn't remain for next year.

jmac70 this answers your post too. Thank you as well for your considered reply. :)

I’d have no issue with him finishing the year if the club comes out and says he will not be offered a new contract and they’ve started the process to find a new coach.

Then it’s up to Buckley if he’ll finish the job or walk.

The well worn, discredited and obsolete narrative continues.

The trend existed up to 2017, but became irrelevant with the 3 Top 8’s, 2 Top 4, a GF and PF in the last 3 years, not to mention Coach of the Year in 2018.

No thinking person is buying that narrative.

Yet 2019, 2020, 2021 the trend continued...

The only thing Buckley defenders can use is the 2018 GF, the one outlier in 10 years.

I’d have no issue with him finishing the year if the club comes out and says he will not be offered a new contract and they’ve started the process to find a new coach.

Then it’s up to Buckley if he’ll finish the job or walk.
We would win the spoon if that happened.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But seriously, would it be that silly to get a non serving coach in for the interim. I don't think we could stand a year of Harvey, but I do believe our purgatory will be extended if we don't do something soon.
I don’t think you would find anyone interested. The club needs to back Buckley for the rest of the season.

That would look good on his resume wouldn't it?

Nathan Buckley - Wooden Spoon Coach

To go with,

Nathan Buckley - Wooden Spoon Captain
All I know is that he’ll do everything possible to avoid us winning the spoon. It would be good if the current playing group could do the same.

Yet 2019, 2020, 2021 the trend continued...

The only thing Buckley defenders can use is the 2018 GF, the one outlier in 10 years.

No resume on GW desk today is better than Buckley’s - it’s the simple truth of the last 3 years, which has been his best 3 consecutive years in his tenure.

Your narrative is naive by comparison, because the above would be how prospective Clubs will look at his ability, and the achievements of that period in any assessment for a Coaching position.

Buckley is too stubborn to be considered a great match day coach. A good coach is proactive when his team is struggling. Buckley develops a thousand yard stare as if to say whatever's happening out there has nothing to do with me. One of the only up sides of coaching is the fact that you can experiment and try a few surprise moves. Hafey was the same. His refusal to shift the tall athletic Wayne Gordon to half back on the rampaging Arnold Breidis and the undersized Mannassa to the wing (he had amazing pace for his bulky stature) on the rampaging Stan Alves cost us a premiership in 77.

Not at this level. If they need motivation they shouldn’t be playing.

Umm Jmac, you do realize it's the coaches job to motivate playing group right? It's not just tactics and game style, it's mentoring the group of players and instilling confidence - that is a big big part of successful coaching.

Motivation is not solely the responsibility of the player / individuals, if that were the case coaches would only be used for tactics and game planning and nothing else.

I don’t recall a single logical, thoughtful and unemotional post, that outlines how sacking Buckley before seasons ends, accelerates our list development or prospects for 2022 - or offers any other tangible benefits.

Maybe someone who feels strongly about the issue can offer me some insight.
I’ll have a go cutting and pasting some of my recent posts....

Doesn’t matter. Let skipworth coach out the year, thrashings and game plan be damned. Just the simplest of game plans, kick it to the top of the square and play on instinct.Narrow the focus for the next 4 months on BEATING YOUR MAN. We’ll see who can beat their man and who has good instincts. Celebrate winning one on one contests Rather than winning games. Why not make good use of the time. change is as good as a holiday and the players will enjoy the freedom and simple instruction. Winning one on ones never goes out of fashion. Start today.

He doesn’t need to be sacked. He can resign with dignity and a smile on his face and shove it up media by not acknowledging the BS. He tried his best, got close, gave us some great memories and been a positive in dozens of young men’s lives. He’s had successes, regrets and failures like everyone. I’m twice married, twice divorced. Addicted to wedding cake. Clearly I’m no F...ing good at it. If it’s not working there is no shame in moving on. In my case and his case it’s best for all.

JTs body language and JDG miss are not game plan. Playing the wings is game plan, if the instruction is to go down the middle or wings, the players do that. Reacting or not reacting to a plus one is game plan, because bucks either feels that his game plan is or isn’t good enough to counter the plus one. Set pieces are definitely game plan. We have one of the best ruckmen who had been instructed not to use his strengths and instinct and take it out of the ruck. Like forbidding a Ferrari to get out of first gear and using it to plough fields. No wonder BG is a depressed shadow of himself.

A conversation I’d like to hear....

New Coach: “where would you be happiest playing Darcy?”
DM : “I’d like to play (insert answer)”
New Coach: “ok let’s work with that”

the conversation in worried about...

New Coach: “where would you be happiest playing Darcy?”
DM : “Sydney, melb, Geelong ..anywhere but here”

No resume on GW desk today is better than Buckley’s - it’s the simple truth of the last 3 years, which has been his best 3 consecutive years in his tenure.

Your narrative is naive by comparison, because the above would be how prospective Clubs will look at his ability, and the achievements of that period in any assessment for a Coaching position.

So your entire argument is that because Buckley has been a failed head coach for the last 10 years he is better placed to keep failing than giving a new coach a go?

After Saturday we’ll be odds on favourite for the wooden spoon, hell of an achievement to crow about!

We would win the spoon if that happened.

And? A new coach isn’t going to turn things around this year, but there is zero point giving anew contract to a coach responsible for the demise. its also stupid to wait until the year is over to look for a new coach, if you want the best you have to get in first.

If the club isn’t already sounding out options then they are being negligent

So your entire argument is that because Buckley has been a failed head coach for the last 10 years he is better placed to keep failing than giving a new coach a go?

After Saturday we’ll be odds on favourite for the wooden spoon, hell of an achievement to crow about!

I’m tipping insightful and professional assessments of Buckley don’t suffer from your naive approach, and frankly would find it laughable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back