Is Buckley A Good Coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The senior coach is an important club figure and a legitimate topic of discussion. It's fair to do so and everyone has a right to express their view.

The mod team observed that the thread was dominated by a few protagonists and their points were repeated i.e. 8 years of regression vs marked improvement in 17,18 etc Pretty much everyone with a strong opinion has already expressed it here.

What further degraded discussion was the simplistic "sack FIGJAM" or "he's a legend" type posts.

This thread will remain open. If your view has slightly shifted or you have new thoughts please share. In an effort to encourage quality discussion repetitive statements and circular arguments will from now on be deleted as will silly posts suggesting that we sack a coach on match-day.

FYI Gone Critical Anzacday Maggie5

Last edited:

Yep I saw what you saw and just like you I found it frustrating but I still cannot accept it is coaching direction. I believe it is confidence and belief in team-mates. We have made at least 4 positional changes week in week out. Not sure how chemistry and belief in each other can be built in this manner especially since we have debuted so many players and our senior players are not playing to the expected standard.

This year is gone, however I will still go (after lockdown) and watch them live and on TV not wishing failure every week but to see what future we may have in debutantes.

You do realize that is the job of the coaching panel right? To instill confidence into the whole squad, not just the starting 23 right?

So either they're failing to instruct or it is instruction, and it's hard to know what it is. He has stated publicly that we're a defensive team and that's how we want to play or when we have glimpses of offence he states that's the ideal game.

My bet is the instruction is ideal game that can't be maintained and then lock it down and negate the oppo. That is not going to win flags, we've already proved that with a really really good list in the GF and ever since. Can't just say 'list' or 'injuries' now coz we've playing this way since 2019.

My bet is the instruction is ideal game that can't be maintained and then lock it down and negate the oppo. That is not going to win flags, we've already proved that with a really really good list in the GF and ever since. Can't just say 'list' or 'injuries' now coz we've playing this way since 2019.
Why do you think it can't be maintained?

Can't just say 'list' or 'injuries' now coz we've playing this way since 2019.
I can and do say the list. Do you really think our list is a GF winning list?

We have made so many mistakes in our list management, this is one of our worst lists in recent memory and given we haven't had Elliott who is capable of a goal or two and also Howe who saves a goal or two and drives us forward I think we have been at least 3 or 4 goals behind before the first bounce.

Yep I saw what you saw and just like you I found it frustrating but I still cannot accept it is coaching direction. I believe it is confidence and belief in team-mates. We have made at least 4 positional changes week in week out. Not sure how chemistry and belief in each other can be built in this manner especially since we have debuted so many players and our senior players are not playing to the expected standard.

This year is gone, however I will still go (after lockdown) and watch them live and on TV not wishing failure every week but to see what future we may have in debutantes.
But don't you see, if it's not a coaching directive Buckley should step down as they have been ignoring his game plan for two years!

Buckley should use the media to motivate the players and fool the opposition.

Unless Buckley is prepared to go 'off the record' you'll never hear the truth coming from him. Same with journalists re. Give em a McDonald's voucher and they'll ask the same ol'. All intertwined.. all there to give the appearance that our game is great and all encompassing and that re. Don't want to kick up too much of a stink and that re.

Everyone wants to go beast mode journalism.. but it's not AFL mode man.

Doesn't matter though.. the Christina Aguilera is already out of the bottle re in regards to Buckley and the way we play our football.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

An interesting view.

He doesn't owe the supporters anything in relation to media appearances, in my opinion. It seems that most people in this thread would be happy if he didn't bother speaking to the media at all, and that might be one of the few things I agree with them on.

Footy media is little more than 'feeding the chooks'. Media drives the game as much as anything these days, and 'access' is a vital part of how the industry works. That's why we have cameras to capture some sly arse-grabbing between players.

But you know, Bucks does host online Q&A sessions with supporters, so maybe you can select one of your really really important queries and confront him with it next week?
He once said that the club communicates to its members and fans through the club website. I haven’t seen any special comms from him on this platform though, so if all they are doing is posting his pressers and pre and post game, then they must be his only efforts to communicate with fans.
I don't see an issue with that. Defensively we have held up well, doesn't necessary mean that because we haven't kicked more than our opposition our game plan is defensively. Our forward line hasn't been settled since our first game.

Not sure I would call it 'raved'. He answers questions he is asked. If you have an issue with the media not asking the questions you want, how is that a 'Buckley' issue?

You seriously don't think each game is reviewed by him and assistants then sections shown to the players?
It’s the asking him to explain it that is the important point. We - and the media - observe this and point it out every week, with no simple explanations given.
Is he happy with Mayne’s style of play? And the teams’. Are they his instructions or not? Was he happy with Cal’s output, and why? Likewise Thomas. Don’t care that Henry and macrae didn’t set the world on fire when in. They are the future and need to adapt to this level, so why keep playing the above players who are not long term solutions, who have no aerial presence, and haven’t been able to find the goals or the football for the past 18 months.

Why do you think it can't be maintained?

I can and do say the list. Do you really think our list is a GF winning list?

We have made so many mistakes in our list management, this is one of our worst lists in recent memory and given we haven't had Elliott who is capable of a goal or two and also Howe who saves a goal or two and drives us forward I think we have been at least 3 or 4 goals behind before the first bounce.

If we could we obviously would.

The list? Not now, but it apparently it was and when it was we played the same as we are now.

Even after reading that a few times.. feels like I barely know 1% of what's 'really going on'. Tentacles going here there and everywhere. Not very well written. I think who ever wrote is confused.. looking for answers.. or perhaps.. should have written a book about it.

Utterly confusing.

Last edited:
Caro. She writes about footy as if it's Days of our Lives. Cringeworthy.

The conflict of interest that Kelly (and Moore) have are factual but everyone already knew that, it was nothing new.

I'll never get those 4 minutes it took to skim through that crap back.

Last edited:
No it doesn't but then why would the club bring in someone like GW? If they're not gonna listen to his recommendations? Why not just leave the FD to the board then.

Nah don't buy it.
there’s a committee that’s been set up consisting of Murphy, licuria, Anderson and Wright. It’s not Wrights decision alone.

there’s a committee that’s been set up consisting of Murphy, licuria, Anderson and Wright. It’s not Wrights decision alone.

The Kord a few weeks ago did say it was the Lic Ando and the GW that will make the decision. I didn't hear Murph's name. Fancy the Murph not endorsing Buckley 4 yrs later.

Watching Kozzie Pickett after the game interview say they’re encouraged to express themselves ...its a killer blow when you compare it to Nathan

there’s no way you will ever here that from our players, let alone see it with your own eyes on field

Kozzie was there last year too remember? When the Dees were a shambles and played scared footy? Mark Williams has given a few boys down at the Demons some "spine", they've missed out on any "big injuries" to date and they're all playing with confidence. Amazing what you can sometimes do when you realise that someone believes in you.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back