North Melbourne Priority Pick 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then provide a "valid argument " why your club deserves a priority pick....its also round 8

I have no doubt they should get one if they go through the season with 2 wins or less, but it's what type of pick or compo North should get that is the question for the court.

No way do they deserve (or will get) pick 2, so a more sensible, realistic and fair type of PP needs to be discussed.

I have no doubt they should get one if they go through the season with 2 wins or less, but it's what type of pick or compo North should get that is the question for the court.

No way do they deserve (or will get) pick 2, so a more sensible, realistic and fair type of PP needs to be discussed.

I’ve always though any priority pick should be traded to bring in any established talent

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

No way. Would be outrageous on recent historical precedent. You made a choice to gut your list and start a rebuild, delisting 10+ players at the end of last year.

If you want more higher picks, trade up for them.

Where is this precedent that clubs can’t gut their list and still get a Priority Pick? Been referenced 50 times in this thread.

Point me to that rule or shut up.

Where is this precedent that clubs can’t gut their list and still get a Priority Pick? Been referenced 50 times in this thread.

Point me to that rule or shut up.
The rule is that it is up to the discretion of the AFL Commission who would take contextual factors like intentionally gutting your list to start a full rebuild into consideration.

Carlton are clearly the recent precedent.

North are doing the right thing by rebuilding, but no way do you deserve a PP.

Applying your logic.

On Pixel 3a using BigFooty.com mobile app
Are you under the wrong impression here..the crows finished last last year and coukd not even get the supposed best player in the draft with pick 1 the 1 year another team had an academy pick who was number 1. We had no PP at all in any way shape or form so you will need to explain what you are getting at for all of us on here

Less than 7 wins over 2 seasons, if that's the case this year then apply the rules evenly.

Round 8 is irrelevant, the draft isn't until the end of the year buddy.

What rules? It's up to the discretion of the AFL.

Also, the fact it is round 8 isn't irrelevant as you don't know how many games you'll win this year...

Are you under the wrong impression here..the crows finished last last year and coukd not even get the supposed best player in the draft with pick 1 the 1 year another team had an academy pick who was number 1. We had no PP at all in any way shape or form so you will need to explain what you are getting at for all of us on here
Your self inflicted rebuild allowed you thilthorpe at the expense of the rest of the comp not having the ability to get him....

Your self inflicted rebuild allowed you thilthorpe at the expense of the rest of the comp not having the ability to get him....

WTF..you might want to re read my posts and then i will accept your apology as you have got it all wrong..they are about PP's..nothing to do with getting the actual pick you are entitled to

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had we played a combo of Brown, MacMillan, Williams, Pittard and hell even Daw and Ahern (and some injury luck), we could have scraped a win or 2 so far.

I don't think Collingwood, Hawthorn, Essendon etc deserve to be penalised by dropping down the order because we chose to delist senior players who might help the team get 1-2 extra wins a year and go from say 1-21 and historically bad, to 3-19 or maybe even slightly better, but not be further advancing the kids.

This is a s**t season for North and if we can't get over Hawthorn in Launie this week it's difficult to see a win, maybe the Suns in Hobart. BUT this is the path the club chose to take by undertaking a dramatic clean out of senior deadwood. Of course none of the above players were going to be part of our next tilt, but they are going to be more competitive than the likes of Lazzaro, Mahony, Scott, Bosu, even slightly older guys like Young and Bonar who are playing roles above their grade. To then turn around and say "hey we sucked historically bad, can we have a PP" is a slap in the face to sides like Essendon and Adelaide who have committed to making the best of their situations and are showing competitive rebuilds (Adelaide running out of legs but should still get up to 6 wins for the year).

Number 1 draft pick in the ND, MSD, PSD and Rookie draft is plenty of leg up.

Neither of those things equals a priority pick.

Carlton fans are actually very critical of some of our recent trade periods.

Your list is in a bad way but it is entirely the clubs fault. There are plenty of creative ways to engineer higher draft picks (or bulk high draft picks) through smart trading. Free agency and unprecedented player movements open up many possibilities to refresh the list.

Priority picks are a relic from the 2000s and should never be used again
Every club that has received a PP it has been their own fault. Hell Essendon got a #1 for drug cheating.
In saying that I don't really want one- they should have been scrapped years ago. There are other ways to assist clubs.

Our injury management and/or fitness/conditioning issues are also of our own making.

Zurhaar, Hall and Cunnington concussions. No issues there. McDonald was a freak injury too. Tarrant has a mass on his kidney.

Cunnington and Ziebell missing the majority of last season, meaning we lost 2 senior players contributing to our 1-21 record in the past 22 games, our own fault. Corr seems to just be as far away from playing as he was after round 1. Lots of hamstrings. Always about a dozen players on the injury list.

Basically seemingly as an outsider up there with Freo and GWS for injury management and conditioning or lack thereof.

At the conclusion of 2019 where Essendon finished 8th, Hawthorn 9th and North 12th I would not expect to be sitting here saying that both clubs are performing better with their rebuilds than North.

Essendon have more or less got their talls sorted for the next 5-10 years, and are awaiting development over time. Few midfield pieces.

Hawthorn have got their future backline for next 5-10 years, and will obviously need to go hard to build a midfield that is more dynamic and less "same-same" with O'Meara/Mitchell/Worpel. But at least it's clear.

North - got a few midfield pieces, Powell now the standout but if Simpkin and LDU are anything to go by, is every chance to stall. McKay and Larkey are basically our only real obvious pieces going forward at the 2 ends of the ground.

The mismanagement runs deep currently and a PP rewards that. It shouldn't.

If they go winless then sure, otherwise no.

The GC handouts of recent times were beyond ridiculous, and if I recall the AFL's tune last time North Melbourne were struggling they basically said we're not going to give them handouts if they struggle again.

Every club that has received a PP it has been their own fault. Hell Essendon got a #1 for drug cheating.
In saying that I don't really want one- they should have been scrapped years ago. There are other ways to assist clubs.

Technically, Essendon didn't get a Priority Pick in 2016 (bit having said that, should still have never been allowed to get the first pick that year)

I actually think lifting the soft cap for struggling club's like North so they can get better credentialed coaching and fitness staff etc to help out Noble etc, or a financial grand to upgrade medical facilities at Arden St etc, would be of more benefit to North long term, seems like you have been decimated by injuries to key players innthe past 3 or 4 years.

A Priority Pick is probably only going to work as a Placebo for understandably frustrated supporters,
As I say, getting better fitness, training and medical staff and facilities seems like a more practical and productive solution for North.

Richmond and their redevelopment of Punt Road in the last 6 years played a pretty significant role in their flag success (in my opinion)

The GC handouts of recent times were beyond ridiculous, and if I recall the AFL's tune last time North Melbourne were struggling they basically said we're not going to give them handouts if they struggle again.

Now let's be fair here, I can never recall North asking the AFL for handouts once (Least in terms of draft picks/assistance)

Struggle again? AFL House have never helped us.

We are the ugly red headed step child who lives under the stairs according to them.

*em, we will be fine in time. A PP ‘may’ shorten the time, maybe.

So don’t want, don’t need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back