Autopsy 30 point grind against Collingwood - Rd 9, 2021

Did

i was beginning to think you’d kicked the bucket, King. Glad you are alive and emerging from your social media blackout.

Mainly back to say hello to the great Jewelsbon

We are actually kicking it to him on the wings specifically for his marking strength.
A win is a win. The thing about Hayward is that his marking and tackling is superb on most days, but with ball in hand, he is a liability. He takes for ever to make a decision after marking it, by which time most viable options are covered. Frustrating. If he can tidy that up, we have an invaluable next gen Reid - possibly better (and I rate Reid).

18 disposals, nine marks and 6 tackles for McLean

Pretty decent game.
Horse was pretty low key about it in the presser but you know the coaches will be very pleased with his progress since the end of last season. PB 2k, running huge k's during games, doing his role, hitting the packs, kicking a few. Definitely a significant part of our future. Hard to remember he's still a kid with plenty of development left.

McLean had a great game. Completely unsure how he replaced Sinkers though?
A) Both were in the side last week
B) McLean didn’t ruck this week, Sinclair did last week

McLean played the same position as last week but did push up the ground more (with Heeney in he was given a bit more flexibility to push up).

Blakey replaced Sinclair as he took his minutes in the ruck. Once fit Reid would likely come back in to play the role.
We were too tall up forward last week. TBH I think it was more a case of being not too good below the knees in the conditions. In the dry today both Bud and Hayden applied heaps of pressure and with an extra mid/small (Heens) we looked a lot better structured/balanced. We needed two talls to keep Moore accountable so we had to go with Blakey who is over 190 and jumps well as the cut out.
When Reid is fit he can come back in as he applies serious pressure as well as being a very good cut out.
Perhaps McDonald can come in if Bud is rested this week against Freo. Play in front of family. Would be a good call both ways IMO.

Phil Hillyard @philthy295
E1aTFMoUYAEH8cO

E1aTFMoVEAEiI0a

Forwards had the following in tackles:

Hayward - 7
Wicks - 7
McLean - 6
Blakey - 5
Papley - 3
Heeney - 3
Franklin - 2

33 tackles in all from the forwards has gotta be up there for the season. Excellent.
Such a good mix in our forward line now. Crazy to think we have players the quality of Reid and McDonald to squeeze in.

Degoey is a first class idiot, overrated player and just has to be the stupidiest person in the league
cameras are on in the rooms, maybe keep your hand to yourself

dickhead

... You just ruined our win today.

We have a really good record against the Eagles in Perth but we have always struggled to beat Freo there... next week is no certainty!

Degoey is a first class idiot, overrated player and just has to be the stupidiest person in the league

dickhead
Collingwood have apparently released a statement saying they don't believe the behaviour was inappropriate. You know what? If one of my colleagues walked into my classroom and poked their finger up my arse in front of my class, I'm pretty sure that would be deemed inappropriate.

Saw that, gross... welcome back btw!

Collingwood have apparently released a statement saying they don't believe the behaviour was inappropriate. You know what? If one of my colleagues walked into my classroom and poked their finger up my arse in front of my class, I'm pretty sure that would be deemed inappropriate.
Give Collingwood a break, they have a very good record with knowing what is inappropriate \s

I have a feeling that Monday morning will be a historic and proud day for them.

Where's The King! when you need to tag him? :disrelieved:
Looks like a win against Collingwood was all it took for all time notorious spammer The King! to reactivate his account.
occasionally you walk into the house you used to live in to see whats happening, who changed the paint job etc

then the new owners find you and say "get out of my friggen house"

very good win in an enjoyable season, was curious what people would be saying, I thought we took a dump on these pricks

they were lucky it was windy and sunny

my only problem was the rugby sh*t everywhere on the ground

some great players today but to me mcinnerney stands out with warner, jmac especially pops and gets it on the wing in f all space so often

buddy would have 5-6 goals today if he got umpired like any key forward

enjoy the year , attacking footy is good (bar that suns game what the fu** was that)

and fix the HTB rule, sydney are allowed to be rewarded for tackling

back to my box
WELCOME BACK MATE!!

Up the bloods!!

images.jpeg.jpg

For all the talk of the wind, I thought our foot skills were actually pretty good today, so too were our handballs. If anything the biggest challenge just seemed to be actually picking the ball up and possessing it. There were a lot of fumbles under the impressive pressure Collingwood applied. But these are the challenges we will have to get used to facing. If we're ever to play in a final, these boys will have to learn how to win clean ball even under huge pressure. Great test for them and pleased that they (mostly) passed.

And sorry, but I'm ranting. It's impossible not to when you have team performances like that, because to highlight a few means to ignore a few. Not an option.

In no particular order.

Hewett - OK maybe it's in order to start with ;) I just love this bloke and the way he goes about it. He is a calming presence. I know we love the guys who do the flashy things but they only get you so far and at some point you need a guy who just won't be a headless chook at important moments. Ding, here's ya boiiii.

Lloyd - Can he just never ever play in the defensive 50 again? Seriously that run and carry passage through the middle gave me flashbacks to 2016/2017 Lloyd, when I audaciously called him one of the top 50 players in the comp. And it's something he still does so well. Probably better than anyone, even the kids like McInerney and Florent. We need more of it from him. Also even his kicking in was ace today, with some bold long bombs down the eye diddle diddle. For a long-time Lloyd fan who has not overly enjoyed his last few years, today was such a pleasure to watch.

McInerney - This is why you ride the bumps. He has had an up and down season but his ups have been so ******* exciting. That play where he ran down the boundary line he just took that extra second or two to size up his options and he ultimately made the good decision to kick it long over the head of Papley and it resulted in the Heeney goal late. Little moments of composure like that that few others in the team are capable of.

Florent - Wasn't a big game possession-wise but I think it says a lot about how far he's come that he is able to have relatively quiet games but still have a big impact on games with his agility around the contest.

Blakey - I love a statement performance. I still think his body is in too awkward a phase for him to actually put together a complete performance. But he wanted to have a statement performance and honestly I think that was the most pleasing thing. Especially considering I feel some of the criticism levelled at him has bordered on vitriolic in terms of his ticker, hardness etc.

McLean - Just looking so confident now. I feel like he's starting to believe that he isn't just a stop-gap in the forward line but can actually be a legit presence. The last two weeks he has felt like the commanding presence f50, not the 957-goal legend he shares it with.

Buddy - Looking better than last week. As expected. It will be a week by week thing with that knee. Just needs to keep chipping away at his goal tally and he'll get 1000.

Heeney - He is a class above. Have said it before and I'll say it again when he is on song there is no one on the ground who can match him for class and talent. And he was on a ground with Buddy Franklin and Scott Pendlebury today.

Papley - The man's insane. And I wouldn't have it any other way.

Warner - He has got total confidence in his body and his ability. You get the feeling he will be one who will relish the games down the road where he'll be at a centre bounce with none of his baby-sitters in JPK or Parker around.

Kennedy - I have made my point about him quite clear and he wasn't exactly dominant today. But I thought there were a few times where he just stood up and looked composed. He actually became the Pendlebury to us that Collingwood needed Pendlebury to be (thanks George!) Even though he's old and he's been doing it for years I thought he had some huge wins that if they were done by Warner or someone they would be raved about. Credit where it's due to the great man.

Mills & Parker - Bunching these two together as well because even though I didn't feel like they were overly damaging with the ball whenever the question of "When are we gonna wake up and realise we could lose this game?" needs answering, they are usually the two that pull their socks up and set the standard for work rate.

Hayward - Speaking of credit, while I still am not sure he is a best 22 player, you can't ask for much more than a guy who will mount his case that he should be a best 22 player. Is just throwing himself at every ball and every contest with reckless abandon, and it was great to see, and it makes the not-so-great moments (like him getting run down) a lot easier to bear when you know he's still impacting elsewhere.

Wicks - SLICK WICKS! Back to his best today. Didn't slot that goal but in terms of behaving like a mad man out there who wants to bulldoze every player in his path, it was a return to form for him. He also has some surprising moments of craftiness where he spins himself out of trouble or gets a deft touch to a team-mate's advantage. Invaluable.

Hickey - I feel like if anything he is going under the radar atm because he is going up against these premier ruckmen and doing it so casually! I thought he got beaten by Gawn last week but was able to nullify his dominance. Today I thought he straight up made Grundy's work bloody difficult while still being a beast himself. (Just please stop winning the clearances yourself Tom!)

McCartin, Rampe & Fox - Bunching these guys together because they don't always get it right and you can tell that our back six/seven is still working things out. But geez they had some great one on one wins. I was especially encouraged by McCartin's performance, as he had a few moments early in the game that he would've liked back, but he didn't let them beat him and went on to have a bloody strong game.

Even the guys I didn't notice as much, like Cunningham and Dawson, it was because they were just quietly going about doing their roles with minimal fuss.

I don't rate Collingwood much but this felt like a really mature win. Winning kinda ugly, but also kinda working through the ugliness to get things on our term and have some really exciting passages of play.
HEWETT!!!!!!!!

I loved Hewett's game, probably because he got some more time in the middle with pendles, but though he played a top notch role.

Back