Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
People have short memories. It’s a shame they have forgotten just how good we were in 2007.
I don't think they're anywhere near as dominant as the cats were in 07, but there's something accurate in the comparison. I see a parallel between where their team has been the past few years in terms of building a team from the ground, the unfulfilled expectations of a talented group and a long premiership drought, and where we were in 2004-2006 just before everything clicked.

Last 7 of home and away. They weren’t all gimmies though - the last two rounds they played Brisbane and West Coast. Then Brisbane at the Gabba in the Qualifying Final. Key thing was, in order to even make top 4, they had to keep winning. It’s why I think that was the most meritorious of their flags.
They did have a lot of injuries that year from memory too.

Dees don’t have a weakness, it’s all clicking for them, the thing they need to get right though is peaking come finals, because their best is better than anyone else’s this year.
Lions played well in the first half, put them under pressure around the ball and looked dangerous when the ball went forward. Seemed to expose them a bit. They’re not unstoppable but they are very good and very even across the park. It will take an extremely good performance in September to knock them off.

Feels like Melbourne have finally got their cattle right, but we'll see if they can sustain the performance for another half of the season.

Feels like they just absorb during the first half and come out firing in the second - which could be a strategy to "preserve" themselves.

Going to be hard to beat

Also, maybe threatening your coach with the sack is what's needed? Seemed like Goodwin was on the verge of being turfed last year, Hardwick was for ages etc

I don't think they're anywhere near as dominant as the cats were in 07, but there's something accurate in the comparison. I see a parallel between where their team has been the past few years in terms of building a team from the ground, the unfulfilled expectations of a talented group and a long premiership drought, and where we were in 2004-2006 just before everything clicked.
well said, that's basically what I wanted to say

About time too, but you are right, they are Cats 07.

I think one can see what one likes to see, and there is a bit of 07..if you are looking for it. Confirmation bias.

We were never 11 and 1, we were never built with access from early picks, we were never a side that he been so long since multiple GF's attendance. A part of our clubs burden was the failure on the big stage. They have their own little story of misery.

There is this feel of non belief that is similar. If Geelong or Rich etc were playing like Melb, the vibe would be different. Till they win it they are not real yet. The lid is being referenced etc.

There have been a few games recently that have been convincing that they were potential GF's ... is it Port v Rich or Melb v Bris..

I suspect its the form near the finals that will count. Melb are hot at the moment. Very hot. We will see if it is sustainable.

Adelaide has received a $50,000 sanction from the AFL after players and staff were found to have not appropriately worn facemasks on a flight last Sunday.

The Crows conducted an investigation, while asking the League to do the same, after other passengers raised concerns and Crows CEO Tim Silvers said the Club had not lived up to its own standards, nor those of the community.

“We are well aware of our responsibilities and the need to adhere to guidance and protocols put in place by the AFL and health authorities, Silvers said.

“We failed in this area and we would like to apologise to the other passengers on the plane.

“Our Club accepts the AFL’s penalty and from top to bottom owns this error in judgement.

“We were complacent and this matter must serve as a reminder to be vigilant in playing our part to try and limit the spread of COVID-19.

“It is a privilege to be playing games during these challenging times and we acknowledge the government requirement for people to wear facemasks in airports and on all domestic commercial flights.”

Bulldogs and Brisbane are their to be beaten by the cats. Dees just did it! No excuses ! If we’re good enough then we get the W!
Well we've already beaten the Brions and play the Dogs in Round 14 at GMHBA. I think we can beat em but I'm sure there will be excuses related to the ground :rolleyesv1:

For those who haven't seen it, this is one of the photos showing the Crows lack of mask wearing

So dissapointing when footy players carry on like they're better than everyone else.
I get that they are the best at the sport, and they get paid a lot because of the effort they put in and how much they entertain us. But when they start behaving all 'Hollywood' it really takes the sheen off.
Some of us havent been on a plane in a long time, and it might be a long time coming still.
Jealousy is one thing, blatant disregard of the issues keeping a chunk of people in lockdown is another.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For those who haven't seen it, this is one of the photos showing the Crows lack of mask wearing

The effort put in by many ALF ppl (including ours) is pretty dismal. It makes me cringe when I see the masks under the nose, or someone pulling the mask down to speak to someone. They ALL do it.

The effort put in by many ALF ppl (including ours) is pretty dismal. It makes me cringe when I see the masks under the nose, or someone pulling the mask down to speak to someone. They ALL do it.
To be fair I see it out in the public as well, it’s I very frustrating that people don’t take it seriously

I feel like they're better than Richmond 2017. Richmond's list looked bog average at the time. Melbourne's looks top shelf everywhere.

There's a gap to go on quality difference between them and our 07 side but there's similarities in having a great ruckman, elite contested mids, and an outstanding backline

And there's a reason for that. A plethora of very early picks (which you get when you're really irrelevant for a really long time), which they have ended up using reasonably well.

Gawn is out of the box (after taking quite some time to establish himself), and came at pick #34 ('09).

After that, you have:

Hogan (mini-draft pick #2, '12), who ended up netting pick #6 ('18) to jag May.
Salem (compo pick #9, '13)
Petracca (pick #2, '14)
Brayshaw (pick #3, '14)
Oliver (pick #4, '15)
Weideman (pick #9, '15)
Lever (traded in off their pick #10, '17)
Jackson (pick #3, '19)
Pickett (pick #12, '19)

I'd be the first to admit they now look imposing. But, with picks like that over such a sustained period (at a level where it is empirically established that you are much more likely to get them 'right'), you'd have to wonder how you could not be finally pushing up closer to the pointy end. That's a massive chunk of their prime movers pretty much all drafted before the Cats had a pick in any given season.

If they were to jag a premiership this year (or soon), it would be the first real win for the AFL's equalisation policy. After all, it would finally establish that you can go almost all the way to the back of the field for years (banking all the early draft picks along the way), and then eventually rise from the mediocrity to be the best in the game. It will have been a long time coming, but I'm sure the AFL will feel totally vindicated in their approach.

Source for drafting details...https://www.draftguru.com.au/clubs/melbourne

If they were to jag a premiership this year (or soon), it would be the first real win for the AFL's equalisation policy. After all, it would finally establish that you can go almost all the way to the back of the field for years (banking all the early draft picks along the way), and then eventually rise from the mediocrity to be the best in the game. It will have been a long time coming, but I'm sure the AFL will feel totally vindicated in their approach.

Source for drafting details...https://www.draftguru.com.au/clubs/melbourne

Apart from Richmond in the last 5 years as well of course. Hawthorn before that, Geelong to a lesser extent (didn't have super early picks, but raided drafts very heavily over a long period), and even the Dogs went nuts at the draft for a few years.

Apart from Richmond in the last 5 years as well of course. Hawthorn before that, Geelong to a lesser extent (didn't have super early picks, but raided drafts very heavily over a long period), and even the Dogs went nuts at the draft for a few years.

But apart from all them.... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back