Wayne Carey Says He Is Indigenous (or might be and might look into it one day)

Remove this Banner Ad

Ash Barty identifies as Indigenous through her great grandmother - only found out about it at age 12.

Obviously it's fashionable to be Indigenous these days - people like Carey, with tiny percentage, if that, never lived as Indigenous, rushing to jump on bandwagon. My great grandparents were Danish and Irish respectively. I'm happy to acknowledge the link but it would never occur to me to claim i was Danish / Irish.

This is not what he said though. It’s not “purely because you are diverse”.

Meh, who cares about people like that? Acknowledging their prejudices just gives them more oxygen

To be considered Aboriginal you must have the following three criterion:

1) Genuinely identify as Aboriginal.
2) Be accepted as such by the Aboriginal group to whom you belong (Noongar, Koori etc).
3) Have an element of descent, that is almost invariably biological in nature (i.e: a parent or grandparent was also Aboriginal).
Is that a legal criteria?

“Stunning indigenous claim”.

Yeah my grandmother said we probably had an indigenous person somewhere in our ancestry.

Front page news!

SMH and we wonder why Indigenous players feel excluded from the game...

I suppose you just boo'd Goodes because you didn't like him as a player, right?

SMH and we wonder why Indigenous players feel excluded from the game...

I suppose you just boo'd Goodes because you didn't like him as a player, right?
I'm just a Nazi, really.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

find me a major University that doesn’t have an indigenous scholarship program, please.

major companies also have indigenous employment programs
This is not what you said though. It’s not “purely because you are diverse”.

Do you think anyone can rock up and demand a scholarship based on the colour of their skin or their sexual orientation?

This is not what you said though. It’s not “purely because you are diverse”.

Do you think anyone can rock up and demand a scholarship based on the colour of their skin or their sexual orientation?

obviously if you’re a complete drop kick, then no, but being aboriginal is a major major advantage in getting into major education facilities and national companies. These places see more diversity as a win and often have zero indigenous employees so any application they get is treasured.

being aboriginal is a major major advantage in getting into major education facilities and national companies

These places... often have zero indigenous employees
The potential seems limitless...

Ash Barty identifies as Indigenous through her great grandmother - only found out about it at age 12.

Obviously it's fashionable to be Indigenous these days - people like Carey, with tiny percentage, if that, never lived as Indigenous, rushing to jump on bandwagon. My great grandparents were Danish and Irish respectively. I'm happy to acknowledge the link but it would never occur to me to claim i was Danish / Irish.

Obviously it’s about us being threatened by anyone who can claim to be a bit more dinky di Aussie than us immigrants.
Me claiming to be English or Irish doesn’t help me Aussieness. Especially with all these other types than have come over and called themselves Aussies.

obviously if you’re a complete drop kick, then no, but being aboriginal is a major major advantage in getting into major education facilities and national companies. These places see more diversity as a win and often have zero indigenous employees so any application they get is treasured.

I'd assume the scholarships are to make up for the less likely odds that Indigenous people will pursue higher education. It's an advantage in the way that a 10m headstart against Usain Bolt is an advantage: Technically.

obviously if you’re a complete drop kick, then no, but being aboriginal is a major major advantage in getting into major education facilities and national companies.

Is it though?

I would have thought coming from a stable wealthy household, going to private schools and being male is a major advantage in both areas.

Those programs (which are very limited in operation) give a leg up to people who tend to suffer from the effects of racism, poverty, and a raft of socio-economic issues.

It's a little bit like saying 'building a wheelchair ramp is a major advantage for handicapped people to get into major education facilities and national companies'.

The whole point of those programs is to try and help out those that we recognize have a major disadvantage in getting into those facilities and companies.

Calling it an 'advantage' is a bit rich. Tends to ignore context.

“Stunning indigenous claim”.

Yeah my grandmother said we probably had an indigenous person somewhere in our ancestry.

Front page news!
Ok, Well Chief from Bigfooty is now the best indigenous player I have seen. It was Wayne but now I’ll have to go with Chief from Bigfooty

Gotta love Carey.

'I hate talking about myself...'

As he precedes to talk about himself for the next 15 minutes.

He does multiple times a week across TV and radio.

He is one of those people who used to like talking about himself so would do it for 3 hours a day. Now he hates talking about himself and he hates it so much he limits it to 30 minutes a day instead as some form of social favour to humanity that by not giving the world 30 minutes of Carey time it would greatly hurt our ability to think logically

Remove this Banner Ad

Back