AFLW 2021 AFLW Trade Period - OPEN FOR BUSINESS

Remove this Banner Ad

Too right TigermanM2 this years 3 recruits are as good as last years 4 (Dargan not so much)
If as expected we get 2 very good mids with our 2 1st rd's, the mids are going to have to perform

Ah yes. Dargan not so much. You are right. I still say we haven’t seen the best of Dargan and you wonder what the effect the breakup of her relationship had on her season. Must have been difficult to have the new squeeze of your ex also be your team mate.

Even allowing for the fact that it’s a lower tier comp she played much better in the SANWFL comp just finished.

Last edited:
Has her

Ah yes. Dargan not so much. You are right. I still say we haven’t seen the best of Dargan and you wonder what the effect the breakup of her relationship had on her season. Must have been difficult to have the new squeeze of your ex also be your team mate.

Even allowing for the fact that it’s a lower tier comp she played much better in the SANWFL comp just finished.

I think Tessa Lavey will be our big improver next year. Looks to have real talent

M.Shevlin has been earmarked for a backline rebounding role, much like D'Arcy
P.Kelly like TigermanM2 said will play Ruck/Fwd
J.Hosking will rotate thru midfield, with her sister Sarah, Conti, Elle, Molan, Kodi & Maddy & our 2 x 1st Rd picks
Would be rapt if Shevlin comes on like D’Arcy , once she settled in was a very good player for us. Impressed with how Sarah H really cracked into the contest remember the blues game, she was off after two brutal dangerous tackles and it cost us a couple of goals, as they got upper hand , was a good game of footy that . If Jess can help double that contested work , we ll be a much better side, exciting moves

Has her

Yea I noticed she was playing over there, did her team make GF , hope she improves a bit , was a very low possible player,and didn’t look to like going in very hard

Has her

I'm not having a go at Dargan, far from it, she's young and has promise going forward
Has been mentioned in the majority of West Adelaide's games, played well in the finals, getting 1 of 2 goals for her team in the GF
Definitely a work in progress

Yea I noticed she was playing over there, did her team make GF , hope she improves a bit , was a very low possible player,and didn’t look to like going in very hard

Dargan had ave 15-20 possies, kicked a few goals, had a very good season with the Westies, lost to the E.Marinoff led Glenelg Tigers in the GF
Dargan's getting confidence & coming along nicely, baby steps :)

I'm not having a go at Dargan, far from it, she's young and has promise going forward
Has been mentioned in the majority of West Adelaide's games, played well in the finals, getting 1 of 2 goals for her team in the GF
Definitely a work in progress

i didn’t think you were having a go at her Stan. You were correct. She didn’t have a good season.

I think Tessa Lavey will be our big improver next year. Looks to have real talent

The good thing is that Olympics will be out of the way when next AFLW season comes around and she has been quoted as saying that she has no interest in playing basketball overseas so I take from that that she is good to go next season.

Jess was always touted as the better footballer. Had a knee issue when drafted and only reason she didn't go higher in the draft was that she was going to miss the whole of her first year in AFLW.

Make no mistake. Blues would be filthy to lose her.

Hahaha, yeah been reading social media and they're filthy for sure, like they've traded Walsh 🤣 😂

Would be rapt if Shevlin comes on like D’Arcy , once she settled in was a very good player for us. Impressed with how Sarah H really cracked into the contest remember the blues game, she was off after two brutal dangerous tackles and it cost us a couple of goals, as they got upper hand , was a good game of footy that . If Jess can help double that contested work , we ll be a much better side, exciting moves

Yes from the small sample of her highlights and looking thru her stats, Shevlin kicks 3 x more than handballs, is good at contested ball, has a good long kick & gets high metres gained, good mark and has pace, ticks all the boxes for a halfback role

The good thing is that Olympics will be out of the way when next AFLW season comes around and she has been quoted as saying that she has no interest in playing basketball overseas so I take from that that she is good to go next season.

With the AFLW season being brought forward there is the likelihood of a significant clash with the WNBL so that presents a possible issue for Conti and Lavey.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would love to see some genuine pace and can play , with a decent midfield now , we need more class on outside with speed . Priority 1 , hope they’re available with our early pick

With pick 5 (Vic pick 3) we sure can get class on outside with speed
Stella Reid OC, Tara Slender BP & Ella Friend GWV, any of these types, who play on the outside (wing/half fwd) would be straight into our best team

Last edited:
I'm happy with the talent we got in this period. I still have reservations about the quality of young players on the list, but I'm not sure what can be done with the relatively poor access to picks and with how far back we're starting from. Stuck between a rock a hard place.

Still, it is frustrating to see the likes of Carlton and Collingwood build strong draft hands in the first two rounds while already having better lists and better growth potential.

Reckon we're still holding the path on a respectable middle-of-the-road 5-8 finish when this list peaks in a few years time.

With the AFLW season being brought forward there is the likelihood of a significant clash with the WNBL so that presents a possible issue for Conti and Lavey.

True but I guess if they really wanted to play both the answer would be to skip WNBL and play WNBA which runs it’s season from May to Sept and then play AFL from Dec to March.

Commonwealth games next year are in July so it’s going to be interesting to see what happens.

Woodward was no surprise.
The delisting of Monahan probably answers some questions here and maybe raises some others!

All the best to all the girls leaving.

We saw that coming TM2 from games we saw at Port - even struggled to engage there at times - one very distracted footballer

True but I guess if they really wanted to play both the answer would be to skip WNBL and play WNBA which runs it’s season from May to Sept and then play AFL from Dec to March.

Commonwealth games next year are in July so it’s going to be interesting to see what happens.

Conti isn’t WNBA standard, I don’t know enough to say whether Lavey is at that level but as someone said earlier she isn’t interested in playing overseas anyway.

Lets also not forget what we also get....

A great leader who enhances our culture and helps our young players be the best footballers they can be.

Priceless.

Sarah was a massive addition this season - gave us some midfield steel with skill - sister is as good, Carlton even believed better. Great get!

Some big surprises yesterday but probably the biggest was to find out Tayla Harris moved to Dees and is on T2 contract with no marketing dollars.

Some fun and games being played. Wonder if Tayla wanted out of Blues but the high price she told the Blues was just to also scare off bottom of the ladder teams. They would have trumped Melbs offer if they knew the 150k she demanded was a smokey. Reckon Melb were in the picture all along knowing they would get her on the cheap. Well played.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back