List Mgmt. Club greats - time to say goodbye

Remove this Banner Ad

I think with the squeeze on the soft cap it will save one or two of them. A lot will depend on what happens with coaches and other list management decisions but can see Jack staying on purely as a playing coach type thing.

Unfortunately Bachar's time is up. Fantastic servant to the club and s**t of a way to go out but we need to be playing kids in his role.

Cotch is a bloody hard one. Body & mind both look cooked at the moment. Could easily see him finishing ups just as easily as I could see him determined to bounce back next year. He deserves to call it when he's ready.

I could probably see Dave finishing up this year too actually.

Geez its a prick of a time but I suppose with the good times their inevitably come the bad times. Will remember them all as absolute champions of the RFC.

Far too many are like this campaigner towards our old washed up leaders

IMG_8971.JPG

Their time has come & its come hard, let’s not be sensitive about it simply because they’re club champs, if they feel Ike they can play 1 more season, that’s fine but it shouldn’t be at the Richmond Football Club

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We were the oldest premiership team in history last year. We’ve come off the shortest preseason ever. The quarters have been lengthened and interchanges have been reduced. We’ve had the rules changed to prevent our biggest strength. And we’ve been cruelled by injury. 9 premiership players out injured today and we’ve been 4-6 short each week all year.

I think our era may be over but the club deserve one last crack at it. I think the time might be right for Cotchin and Houli to retire, but if they feel they can have one more crack then let them play on.

Give them an extended break because we probably won’t feature in September, and hope for a refreshed team next year. Even if we don’t go near a flag, we’re good enough to make the 8. I’d hate for us to collapse the way Brisbane did after 04.
I can't like this enough.

These guys, and the entire team for that matter, have all played deep into September for the last four years. In 2021 they lived away from home for most of the season, won the premiership and then probably celebrated it harder than other flag has been celebrated before given the circumstances of the 2021 season AND going back-to-back. They then had the shortest off-season in history.

So I say if any of them want to go around again then they have earnt that opportunity. They could well be physically and mentally exhausted, they don't have the team-mates they expected to have around them because of injury and (lack of) experience and the game is changing. They get 2022 to have another crack, but nothing after that.

Other teams that have forcefully got rid of their leadership core in a hurry have after falling off a cliff have just wandered around in the doldrums for years. We can't get rid of those 3 in one hit. Houli this year, Jack midseason next year so we can all get to the G to see him off and then draft some gun in the mid season draft, Cotchin at the end of next year. Maybe Shedda as well at the end of 22, it'd be good to see him get to 300.

I'd rather go the geelong route being thereabouts consistently (and having all the rules changed to suit us when Gale leaves) than a hawthorn that just disappeared after their 3peat.

Why? It's true.

Maybe your truth , but not mine.

Lets' look at the facts:

• Houlis form has been good this year . He was very good v GC, ok v Saints , fantastic v WCE. But lets fk him off . Pfffttttt.
  • Jack is our leading goal kicker ,competitive as ever. Always double and triple teamed. Yep fk him off as well.
  • Trent was super first half f the year , and LAST THREE MATCHES off Half Back ( always under the pump) had 12 , 21 and 19 possessions . I d say his going ok. But lets get rid of the most inspirational skipper we've had in 70 years , stop carrying him.....

But the galling part of the comment is that we have carried them !! That's right, carried them ! GAGF. Shameful comment. As far as any Richmond supporter is concerned , those blokes can play until they're 55 and not be dropped. I was there all through the Patterson. Sproule , Bartlett , Jeans , Northery, Walls, Geishan, Frawley Wallace, Rawlings eras. I drove to Sydney for SOS Campaign thinking it could be the last time I’d see the tigers play , i PRAYED FOR CHAMPIONS LIKE THESE . I can tell you these fellas are never carried.

This shameful and ignorant post was from a bloke who used to be on the Podcast and would get on and say he hadn't watched the match that as being reviewed and then talk about taking a sh*t at Geelong like some giant intellectual . Just knobheads.

So , now tell me , who do we replace them with ? I hear all this crap from our podcast and this board about how good Mansell is . Guess what , he isn't. He is a stop gap measure at the very best. Garth fk me.
  • Aarts cost us the match sealing momentum in the third with a simple turnover, there's a reason he was in the VFL for six years.
  • George , fk me why does he get a game ? Wank on about chaos etc. as much as you want. He's there to kick goals at the end of the day ,He doesn't.
  • RCD , shocked that he is not AFL match ready and has not developed 1 iota. He has been with us for a while , was high end draft , i know COVID but I don't buy that. Others from other clubs progress.
  • Chol. I'm speechless.
But lets focus on those 'we carry'.....

People on this board should always be called out for crap comment's.

The post I have replied to is the dumbest comment Ive READ yet.

Yeah , we carry them! FFS.

And that's the truth.

Last edited:
100% spot on

Jack, Houli, Sheds and Cotch in the last 18 months have clearly shown family is far more important than the club.
Good for them, but its not good for the club, team, members etc.

As elite professionals the club must come first. Simple as that.

Three out of four is beyond our wildest dreams, and even the Lions, Cats and Hawks couldn't continue.

Time to move on, pass the batton and reset (not rebuild ) the playing group.

Absolutely. All 3 need to go. As soon as possible. We can't carry them anymore.
Yeh man after 300 games and 3 flags this last 3 weeks has been rough. We've been s**t for so long in this last 3 weeks. They've had kid enough in this 3 weeks. We can't carry them more after this s**t 3 weeks.

Some of you have got so entitled. We look s**t for 3 ******* games and it's push the club champions out? Ungrateful.

Far too many are like this campaigner towards our old washed up leaders

View attachment 1175479

Their time has come & its come hard, let’s not be sensitive about it simply because they’re club champs, if they feel Ike they can play 1 more season, that’s fine but it shouldn’t be at the Richmond Football Club

Yeh let's push them out, * the club's culture and go spend another 37 years in the dark.

How many years did you wait a flag? These guys gave 3 of them to you. How you call it on them is disgraceful. If they want another one, then they will get it.

Worst case is what? Our rebuild starts 1 year later? Suck it up princess. You waited 37 years for a flag, you can watch at worst case 1 extra season of s**t. And that's if they don't get up after a full off season.

But I enjoy you think you're tough here

All 3 are greats of the game & the club ! They are past their match winning games status , so when we are badly undermanned they are being made to look not so good.

Tough decisions ahead for club & player , but like a few others have said they need to be shown ultimate respect in how this pans out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All 3 are greats of the game & the club ! They are past their match winning games status , so when we are badly undermanned they are being made to look not so good.

Tough decisions ahead for club & player , but like a few others have said they need to be shown ultimate respect in how this pans out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree .

Just some really disgraceful and petulant responses here .

You’d give them all one more year. They deserve another chance, 2021 has been a campaigner of a year. If we’re not competitive in finals at least they’re sticking around another 12 months helping the kids.

They’re playing bugger all vfl footy these days so the longer the old blokes hang around the better.

we just need to be smart about how we spend our picks in relation to the list

They should all go. Cotchin
raking in 700 grand still makes me sick. I'd like to think he'll be honourable and realise he's cooked but doubt it. I guess when your Mrs 2 previous businesses failed spectacularly you need to subsidise the 3rd. Boxing gyms in covid times when most gyms are failing why not start up that. We're stuck with Cotchin and Riewoldt unfortunately

Whose your real account? Asking for a friend. Sterge didn't you want to know? Something like that?

Riewoldt has won us games this year and taken big marks.
As if a VFL player is going to be better than him.
He's easily got a year left, he's only 32 years old.
Cotchin is better than our 23rd player as well and he's still only 31.
This thread stinks like a dead fish under a mattress.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Truth be told Cotch can play for 3 more, we could lose most weeks and I'd still love him. I had 30 long years waiting for a top end group like these and they have delivered 54 years worth of flags in 4.

The journey with Dimma going back to that day with pissing rain at Footy park for their first win is everything a sports fan can hope for. Pies fans who have seen 3 flags are nearly 70. Dees fans who have are all dead and Dogs fans who have don't exist. Be thankful Tigers.

If these guys want another shot next year, let them have it. I don't think they will but just remember.. we COULD (although almost certainly won't) draft the next Dusty this year and it is 2028-2029 till they start to hit their absolute peak.

Rebuilds take forever and don't always work. Flags are ridiculously hard to win. Whatever happens.. stick behind those who delivered what so many never will.

Poppy is more important than the club. Priorities.
Cotch is one of the all time great leaders and captains, but also a b, b+ at a stretch grade player now.

Time for Lynch to take over the mantle as number one key forward and Dusty or Vlaus as captain.

Personally I thought we were past the Graeme Richmond days of chucking out loyal club servants like the frayed pair of old socks that you wouldn't give a second thought to, all in the name of on-field 'success'.

As far as I see it there is more to supporting a club than premierships. Yes, they are the pinnacle, but also of great importance is treating our people with respect - especially those that have been instrumental in an outstanding period, in incredibly difficult circumstances. We had 37 years of misery. I'm prepared to cop a mediocre season or two if some of our greats can go out on their own terms as the sun sets on their careers.

Okay, it is fair that people want to have the conversation, but the "F them off!" attitude of some on here is utterly appalling.

Houli and cotch are done. Reckon Jack will stay on another year, he’s already said he wants to stay on so I doubt the club will force his hand and given we don’t really have a 2nd tall breaking the door down I can see him Playing on

At the end of the year:
Cotchin, Riewoldt, Houli.

It's a hard call, but tell me I'm wrong?

These guys are only going to decline further and are finished.

A chance to send them off against the Hawks in the final round at the MCG would be my recommendation.
Surely Riewoldt has some footy left in him. He's still kicking well over 2 goals per game this year. Basically on par with his career average.

While some tough choices need to be made over the next few years we need to be careful...
Given the age makeup of our list we could easily end up with a too young list with not enough experience to protect / lead etc....
Even if we nail this years mega draft the players we draft will be only 21 in 3 years time...Need to be careful..

Don’t mind the idea of Cotchin and Jack handing over the leadership to a new captain and vice captain combo. This might free them up to focus on playing better footy and supporting the next generation

Don’t mind the idea of Cotchin and Jack handing over the leadership to a new captain and vice captain combo. This might free them up to focus on playing better footy and supporting the next generation
I think this will happen. Houli will retire, cotchin and Jack will hand over the leadership roles. But man, Jack killed us in that last qtr...

There are lots of walks in life where you can precede a 32 and a 31 years of age with an 'only'. Unfortunately AFL football aint one of them. Worse still in three months from now Riewoldt will 'only' be 33. Like it or not they are getting very old by league standards and it's beginning to show.

What to do not sure? Both are contracted for next year so if they don't want to go they aren't going. However they are reaching the point even if they are not told they won't be automatic selections in 2022, they might nevertheless still need to be 'managed'. How they will feel about it and how that will effect the balance and morale of the team week by week is anyone's guess. Of the two Riewoldt is more problematic, not just because he is older, but also because we have a young key forward in CCJ who might decide to leave in part for more opportunity.

Again not sure what we do (I am mindful of what happened at Hawthorn), but I'm not going to pretend that there aren't reasons to be concerned about these two going into 2022 and a couple of others. And that the concern they might go on for a season too long might not be real. The player review interviews at the end of the year are probably going to be the most interesting in the last decade.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back