• Gold Coast

Votes: 30 22.2%
  • GWS

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • Other

Votes: 25 18.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

If we take Clarko's comments about taking a year off at face value, reading between the lines, this says to me that he's not interested in the Collingwood gig, as they need a coach for next year, but that he might have interest in Carlton, but Teague is contracted for 2022 and he doesn't want another coach sacked.
One thing is for sure. Until all senior coaching roles are confirmed for 2022, his name will be attached to just about any potential gig.
If he does take a year off, he will be mentioned all year for any team that has a coach coming out of contract, or struggling for results.
We'll all be very sick of hearing about him.
If Carlton sack Teague then whoever appointed him probably needs to be shown the door also. You picked a coach without doing a lot of due diligence because he was available, popular and was a good ‘fit’. You owe it to your members to have the members of the board step aside for not getting it right, again.

It’s all well and good wanting to go for Clarkson, but with the same administration what is to say you want just throw Clarkson out if it doesn’t work? Luke Sayers isn’t much of an upgrade of the former President. He is pretty much out for blood but nobody is accepting Carlton has a culture of dumping coaches in with a big name or putting in club legends. They don’t get it right.

You should be sticking with Teague for next year and looking at all the surrounding elements that aren’t working. You need to support the man you chose. Sacking Teague simply undermines your decision makers. Carlton clearly still have this mindset that they are this big swinging club of the eighties and nineties. The fish rots at the head and appointing Clarkson ‘just because’ is terrible amateur.

The conspiracy theorist in me thinks that Clarkson already has signed on to another club hence the reason he has announced he's leaving the Hawks. My money is on Pies or Blues if that is the case.

He would be the ideal candidate for the Suns but he would need to knife his mate Dew to take the gig.

Doesnt need to be a conspiracy. The line about conspiracy vs incompetence... Kennett ****ed this up so royally. The deal didnt last 1 week of scrutiny.

If Carlton sack Teague then whoever appointed him probably needs to be shown the door also. You picked a coach without doing a lot of due diligence because he was available, popular and was a good ‘fit’. You owe it to your members to have the members of the board step aside for not getting it right, again.

It’s all well and good wanting to go for Clarkson, but with the same administration what is to say you want just throw Clarkson out if it doesn’t work? Luke Sayers isn’t much of an upgrade of the former President. He is pretty much out for blood but nobody is accepting Carlton has a culture of dumping coaches in with a big name or putting in club legends. They don’t get it right.

You should be sticking with Teague for next year and looking at all the surrounding elements that aren’t working. You need to support the man you chose. Sacking Teague simply undermines your decision makers. Carlton clearly still have this mindset that they are this big swinging club of the eighties and nineties. The fish rots at the head and appointing Clarkson ‘just because’ is terrible amateur.
Did you quote the right post? Not sure what any of that has to do with what I said.

A full strength Carlton is 10 goals better than Collingwood and a genuine threat.
Charlie Curnow and Mackay make a big difference. Clarkson will also play OBrien, Dow, Honey, Kemp, Carroll every week next year. Not sure why Teague hasn’t. Walsh, Cripps, Weitering, Jones, De Koning needs another preseason. Jack Silvagni looks good. Saad, Williams, Fisher. It’s a great list. Just need to get them working harder and fix defensive set up.
Collingwood stink. The new Daicos coming in will be their best player, along with Moore, this time next year. Complete stinkfest that list. Pendles and Sidebottom not getting any younger. Plus Eddie says he will stay in the background…huge annoying shadow. Just like our arrogant a-hole Kennett. He’s ruined my state and now he’s ruined my club.

There wouldn't be a hawks supporter who would remotely agree surely. won 4 of the last 12 flags and you think it comes at a cost?
All clubs go through rebuilds, Hawthorn did it the right way. They won and kept trying to win while they thought they could. Maybe one year to long but who cares after you have won 3 in a row.
The other option is to be forever in a rebuild like 90% of AFL clubs and keep putting faith in unknown kiddies. Not a coincidence that Hardwick and Clarkson both kept trading in players to win flags with now instead of drafting for 6 years time.
Hawks fans can rejoice in watching their 3peat for the next few years while they get back on track and in that same time clubs who have been rebuilding and drafting kiddies for years will still not of won a flag and or even looked like they will.
What the Hawks have done over the last 20 years every single club should be copying.
Clarkson and Scott? Yes. Very much.

I wouldn't include Hardwick/Richmond in that statement. Other than Houli 8-9 years ago. The little spree in 2016, netting Nankervis, Prestia and Caddy (with the latter looking likely to be delisted) And then of course, free agent Lynch in 2018. 90%+ of Richmond is home grown and nurtured talent, with a s**t load of successful rookies amongst that.

Will be very interesting to see what Richmond do with their 6 picks under 50 or so this coming draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We should be putting our hand up for Clarko after our woeful performance last night, Ratten can go back to being his assistant.

With Rath and Roughead also on our coaching panel it will be like a home away from home for him.

Clarkson has mentioned a number of times that his youngest will finish school next year. This would make no difference if he were interested in a job in Melbourne. Reckon it will be GWS or GC in 2023. He will want to run the joint, and won’t want a repeat of his run ins with Wright and Kennett. Won’t be Pies or Blues.

If Carlton think Clarkson is better than Teague and will get them better results they should make that change.

It's a brutal business

All coaches eventually get sacked/moved on, it is probably something we are bad at in the football industry of knowing when to let go. We are good at getting rid of players who no longer live up to expectation but the coach tends to drag on until the club hits the skids completely.

I liked Clarkson when he was that angry little man punching walls and yelling at junior umpires. He was an arsehole, but he was a hungry arsehole who was driven. Last few years he seems laid back, like someone who has won the lottery who no longer gives a s**t about anything.

I think Clarkson's change is a big part of why the club fell off a cliff, I think Hawks feel it too which is why they have moved to secure Mitchell.

I do think Clarkson even in his current state is a lot better than other coaches going around, but I am not sure he has the hunger any longer, he has basically rolled over and allowed Mitchell to take his job, the Clarkson of old wouldn't have copped that.

Yes I think a job at AFL House would be what he'd like. Stephen Hocking has moved on hasn't he.

Outside chance coaching Carlton or Melbourne.

A membership revolt would follow -if he was even hypothetically in the conversation at the Swans. Which he isn't.

I don’t think either Collingwood or Carlton will want him. Pies will hopefully look for a younger more offensively minded coach, like Pyke or Kingsley, whilst Carlton who are turning the corner will reward Teague with an extension

I think you are completely wrong. If Clarkson approached Collingwood tomorrow and said I want to be head coach, he would get it immediately. Carlton is a little more complicated because they still have a coach in contract but still, you can guarantee that they are thinking about it. Clarksons record speaks for itself; you don't throw someone like that away, especially since he isn't overly old. Also, there is zero evidence Carlton are turning the corner. They are the same inconsistent team they have been for years.

Back