Game Day Around The Grounds - Finals Week 2 - 1st & 2nd Semis 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

What an amazing game. I wanted the Dogs to win, but was never confident. What's that for Brisbane now, three consecutive top-four finishes, and one finals win out of six? Ouch. And it's always tough watching those matches, because they're a reminder that we're a million miles away from that level.

I think it's fair to rank Bailey Smith alongside Sam Walsh. Yes, he's had more quality around him, but he has also proved himself on the big stage. Maybe he would have struggled if we'd picked him... but maybe he'd be the very, very good player he is now.

Finals footy is so finely balanced, sometimes it just seems like a game of rotten chance. Two weeks in a row Brisbane lose a key forward to friendly fire before half-time - what are the chances? And then Jarrod Berry to concussion at half-time. A man down on the bench for the entire second half... and they still broke even on the scoreboard. Huge, unbelievable effort... and no reward.

Mind you, it is a huge tick for the maturity of the game, and the imperatives correctly placed on the wellbeing of the players, irrespective of the status of the match. It doesn't seem like that long ago, that people were decrying a newly-introduced blood rule... now, we are having blokes like Jarrod Berry ruled out of matches on concussion tests, even when that medical decision is likely to be a season-ender for his team. It is a great thing.
you write a good post, 64 - who wants to put a few clams on walsh standing up in a big game or two?

Wonder how good Smith would be if he cut his hair. Didn't Sampson lose his strength when he cut his hair?
that was dalhaus........

They’re venting after losing a game by 1 point.

Who cares what they write on an Internet forum to fellow supporters…
clearly not you - but hell yeah, advocating violence against umpires is a good thing!!

Geez, Smith with his run & carry played a great last 1/4, almost bog for me & I wish we had him in our side. But I prefer & I'm happy with Sam, and don't regret us recruiting him before Smith.

did you actually watch the game ? Last goal was magnificent but he had at least four kicks inside fifty where he completely stuffed under pressure . He struggles to hit a target running full pace

you write a good post, 64 - who wants to put a few clams on walsh standing up in a big game or two?

I have complete faith in Walsh to stand up when the heat is on, and to dominate as those around him tire (Smith has those qualities as well - his last quarter was exceptional). Just don't want Walsh to be the Doug Hawkins type (or Simpson and Murphy more recently), 300+ games, and only half a dozen finals.

I am concerned about the capacity of Walsh's teammates to help him onto that stage - I think we have a few slackers in our playing group, and the Match Committee could not or would not act. Obviously we talk about the coach and the football department, but for what it's worth, I think the Club was right to terminate David Teague. The real challenge for the next coach will be getting buy-in from all 40 players. It shouldn't be the case in a professional league, but, well... Given the talent on the list, I think effort is much more important than strategy or tactics.

Bit off-topic now, I guess. But it's hard to remember tonight's level of skill, intensity and competitiveness from our blokes. Not because we didn't compete fiercely in our finals under Ratten, but just because it has been so looong now!

Luke Darcy makes the broadcast almost unlistenable.
They need to clean out the entire team. Just can't take any more calls from BT. They need a whole new class of callers. I miss Dennis badly at finals time. The sooner we get easy technology on our TV's for choice...like radio callers, or hec, icelandic language...anything is better than BT and gangs' recurring nightmare calls.

Bont robbed.

The Cinderella Lions, always looked after by their fairy godmother cheating umpires.
Can't wait till the power from port dismantle these scumbags next Week, they are reaching Geelong levels of cheating.
Going out on a very slender limb a lot lately, Elmer. You ok?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bugger, fell asleep at half time, only to be woken up by the barking dog next door. Missed a classic methinks. Might catch the second half replay this arvo. Love Kayo!

How about the efforts by that Coleman kid
I want him here. He's juuuuuuust starting to click, and with that skillset and gameread you just want to be there when he gets it.

And there's no way in hell he'd cost much; more than what he was worth when he was drafted, but not much.

People can whinge about the Bulldogs and Umpiring till the cows come home, but i will tell you that I wish we played with the type of heart and grit the Doggies have shown the last 2 weeks.

Winning a final away from home, at a packed hostile venue is very impressive stuff, at any rate.

Big run of Brisbane goals, horrible collapse.

Up there with our 1 point prelim final loss in '76 as one of the most frustrating losses in a final.
I recall Daniel Bradshaw doing most of the damage late in the game.:(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back