Universal Love Overlooked/unheralded moments from the GF

Remove this Banner Ad

We also kicked 3 goals in 45 seconds against the cats.
Like the more and more I think about it the more I think I might never ever see us play as well as we did in the prelim and GF ever again

Few seconds off the clock from the 50 metres but yeah it unreal. I think we’ll be more consistent in 2022 and win more games but the highs won’t be as high.

Did anyone else see the Hannan dive? Can't remember when it was but he copped a very soft rub to the head in a contest, touched his face and then literally sprung into the air and onto the ground for the free. Couldn't believe my eyes

Like the more and more I think about it the more I think I might never ever see us play as well as we did in the prelim and GF ever again

I actually said that to my 11 year old boy watching the last quarter. I said soak it up mate because the last two games could quite possibly be the best football this club ever plays in our lives. You could argue that from the moment we were 44pts down against the Cats, we played the best month of football this club has ever witnessed. It's honestly like a dream.

These three might be better as it has the added feature of Joel Selwoods whinge.

I loved that Gawn went for that same goal on the run from outside 50 in the GF that he nailed in the PF. Just missed it, but who cares, it was party time at that stage.

He understands the theatre of footy, that man.

And yet didn't go for the torp smh.

He's a purist and was trying to replicate the moment in its entirety, kicking to the same end and went for the same hard and low drop punt.

Nah I'm talking about the one with one minute left hard on the boundary about 70 out. Crowd were calling for him to torp it he dropped it to the pocket for a turnover and got rightly booed for his effort.

This is a long video but has a lot of great insights

My favourite one (20:35) is when we started dominating in the centre Treloar was matched up on Viney. Viney knew he could outmuscle treloar so when it looks like Martin is about to win the ground ball Viney just pushes Treloar into him causing a fumble, Oliver then swoops on the loose ball and we get away.

Very good, thanks for sharing. Some nice tactical analysis there but it also highlights how big an impact little things like fumbles, arm holds, body work as well as chance can have on a centre clearance result.

I think it was quite obvious how often Stef Martin went to ground during the game. Was completely out of the contest in a handful of clearances. Unfit and also past it I’m afraid.

Very good, thanks for sharing. Some nice tactical analysis there but it also highlights how big an impact little things like fumbles, arm holds, body work as well as chance can have on a centre clearance result.

I think it was quite obvious how often Stef Martin went to ground during the game. Was completely out of the contest in a handful of clearances. Unfit and also past it I’m afraid.

I had to laugh at all the times he said "...and Stefan Martin goes to ground." I get why Beveridge went with him but yeah he was no where near it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought after the prelim we'll never play this well again, was wrong in the GF. No reason I can't be wrong again thinking we won't top that.

I thought after the prelim we'll never play this well again, was wrong in the GF. No reason I can't be wrong again thinking we won't top that.

Agree - still reckon this team has a couple more gears to go.

Just hope they maintain the hunger to drive it.

I loved that Gawn went for that same goal on the run from outside 50 in the GF that he nailed in the PF. Just missed it, but who cares, it was party time at that stage.

He understands the theatre of footy, that man.
I still love the smirk on his face during the anthem in the prelim, dude was just enjoying the moment, he knew our best would win us a premiership anyway.

I still love the smirk on his face during the anthem in the prelim, dude was just enjoying the moment, he knew our best would win us a premiership anyway.
Only the pessimism of being a dees supporter ( me included ) stopped us from seeing we were number 1.

We beat everyone around us. Fairly easily aswell.

Only the pessimism of being a dees supporter ( me included ) stopped us from seeing we were number 1.

Yeah it took me a while to realise we were good, and the ‘old’ Melbourne was a thing of the past, but probably fair enough given our history. The comeback and win against the Cats in round 23 solidified that we were something else, and the flag was ours to win.

Yeah it took me a while to realise we were good, and the ‘old’ Melbourne was a thing of the past, but probably fair enough given our history. The comeback and win against the Cats in round 23 solidified that we were something else, and the flag was ours to win.

Round 23 had me so pumped. Felt like destiny from then on.

I genuinely didn’t believe until Nib’s goal. They’ve scarred me so much. Nib’s goal was the one that made me realise we were good, although I kept doing the Leigh Matthews calculus for a while after.

Agree we were pessimistic, afraid to believe we wouldn’t stumble. But also it was an even home and away season where late in the season punters thought up to 4 sides could win it. I think the injuries to Hipwood and Bruce helped swing belief our way a little bit but I don’t think many were predicting the fashion we have smashed the finals series.

Agree we were pessimistic, afraid to believe we wouldn’t stumble. But also it was an even home and away season where late in the season punters thought up to 4 sides could win it. I think the injuries to Hipwood and Bruce helped swing belief our way a little bit but I don’t think many were predicting the fashion we have smashed the finals series.
Also though the best team doesn't always win it. Geelong 08, Collingwood 11, Adelaide 17, Richmond 18 etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back