Entertainment & Music Guess the song from a line

Remove this Banner Ad

Another easy one/two, arguably this was part of the best sporting PR exercise to date in Australia - which happened mainly by chance friendships and coincidence regarding the specific artist's involvement..

Song 1:
Some guys got lips that you can't help kissing
And some guys got a smile you can't resist

Song 2:
Each time you leave me I start losing control
You're walking away with my heart and my soul

Last edited:
Tina Turner and the ARL promotion.

It all started late 1988, when then-NSWRL boss John Quayle's assistant, Nicky Braithwaite, happened to be best mates with Roger Davies - who happened to be an Aussie bloke who was a huge rugby league fan - and also coincidently was the manager for US rock queen Tina Turner.

Phone calls were made, things progressed, offers were accepted, agreements signed. And most importantly Quayle ignored the doubters, which included some on his board reluctant to fund a media campaign, asking how an American/Black/Women/Singer could possibly be successful promoting Australian Rugby League..?

But Quayle boldly pushed on and in 1989, Turner's TV commercial featuring "What You Get Is What You See" changed the direction of rugby league in Australia.
The follow up with this campaign was "Simply the Best", which Turner also recorded with Jimmy Barnes, their one and only recorded collaboration.

For those interested, here is an excellent short 7 min doco on the above - and below the collaborative STB version with Turner, Barnes and Diesel on Guitar.

Last edited:

It all started late 1988, when then-NSWRL boss John Quayle's assistant, Nicky Braithwaite, happened to be best mates with Roger Davies - who happened to be an Aussie bloke who was a huge rugby league fan - and also coincidently was the manager for US rock queen Tina Turner.

Phone calls were made, things progressed, offers were accepted, agreements signed. And most importantly Quayle ignored the doubters, which included some on his board reluctant to fund a media campaign, asking how an American/Black/Women/Singer could possibly be successful promoting Australian Rugby League..?

But Quayle boldly pushed on and in 1989, Turner's TV commercial featuring "What You Get Is What You See" changed the direction of rugby league in Australia.
The follow up with this campaign was "Simply the Best", which Turner also recorded with Jimmy Barnes, their one and only recorded collaboration.

For those interested, here is an excellent short 7 min doco on the above - and below the collaborative STB version with Turner, Barnes and Diesel on Guitar.

My fave Mad Max chick
Cashes out lump sum style
Screenshot_20211009-013230_Samsung Internet.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gotta admit the NRL smashed it out of the park with this.

AFLs "id like to see that" was pretty awesome too tho

The simply the best marketing campaign is still the most iconic one I can think of. That song makes me think of rugby league.

The afls “I’d like to see that” with unbelievable by EMF is a close second.
Tbh... makes me think more of David Brent :D

Surely this is the GOAT boxing song

Rising up..back on the street
Did my time took my chances

Yeah it's been done though. Actually this next song was nearly the Rocky 3 theme over Eye of the Tiger

Try to be best cause you're only a man
And a man's got learn to take it
Try to believe while the going gets rough
That you gotta hang tough to make it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back