Coach Adam Simpson Megathread est. 2017 - Staying for 2024, Lyon’s Cryin’

Will Simpson be Head Coach at WCE in 2024

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was exactly my take on it. I also think the SPP could be a Schofield suggestion. To sort out the clubs woes with not winning contested ball and ground ball the playing list also needs looking at.

Agreed. Get the feeling that J.Schofield sees a bit of O.Wines in S.Powell-Pepper and would like to bring him over as a pet project.

Considering Schofield just turned Wines into a Brownlow medallist I wouldn't be against his opinion on the matter either.

Will be interesting to see how this develops.

Duffield on Brander: 'My mail on Brander is that he's a player that needed a bit more positive reinforcement, a bit of a cuddle.'

And that it partly didn't work because 'Simpson is more of a 'Man up and get on with it coach'.

******* hilarious given some posters here think Simpson is the Head Cuddler in Chief.

Duffield on Brander: 'My mail on Brander is that he's a player that needed a bit more positive reinforcement, a bit of a cuddle.'

And that it partly didn't work because 'Simpson is more of a 'Man up and get on with it coach'.

******* hilarious given some posters here think Simpson is the Head Cuddler in Chief.

If that’s true he’s unlikely to be going to Hawthorn then in case Smitch tips Gatorade on him

Well Nisbett came out today pretty strong not mixing words.

I suggest we can look forward to change next season because every player and coach now knows that if they dish up the same standard as 2021 then MORE heads will roll.

Got a link? Listened to the 6PR interview from a couple of days ago. Didn't think there was too much in it

Yes, would like a link past the paywall if possible? Otherwise it's just clickbait news like "Gun Eagle Done for Drink-Driving"? Crazy huh, Jones is already a gun..?

Hurn in recent interview predicts some tinkering with West Coast’s gamestyle, and a focus on moving the ball faster.

He suggests there will be change with the new assistant coaches, some different ideas and "being able to talk to ‘Simmo’ (?) … because last year it didn’t work unfortunately..."

He reckons they'll play less of the kick+mark game and says there'll be a focus on getting the ball going forward, the randomness or chaos ball and get some pressure around the footy.. he predicts quicker ball movement from the midfield into the forward line is the ideal scenario?
This is not really new news of course , blind freddy knew this halfway through last season, and it's what you'd want to hear from your club going forward into another preseason.
But we definitely have the players to implement these changes, and at the risk of being repetitive, with a solid preseason and fewer injuries it's not unreasonable to leap back into finals action...however that's a long way ahead at the end of the rocky road known as the football season and all the wheels have to stay on the cart!?

Good to see we’ve re-signed a couple of spritely 30+ year olds to help us with that new faster game style.

ancient saying but the ball always moves faster than anyone can run

think he was meaning this, not actually moving fast while holding the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good to see we’ve re-signed a couple of spritely 30+ year olds to help us with that new faster game style.
Oh for sure, hard not to be cynical at this stage! And ironically these comments about faster ball movement coming from an increasingly inert object? Who will fill Jetta's boots - Witherden hasn't been quite the revelation many of us were hoping for - yet? (Jets would've been suited to faster ball movement).
Anyway, I remain optimistic until all is partially revealed in the pre-season matches.

It was a curious sentence about players now being able to talk to Simmo? Meaning he was unreachable last season or what?

Last edited:
I think this is the year of Simpson.Can he really coach when theres a bit of uncertainty within the ranks?
Ive tipped us for top 4 as talent doesnt go away but it can hide.
Its no good just giving everybody a giant rocket and then sitting back and watching success come.
The rockets from the media,Nesbitt etc were well founded but with an aging profile thats where Simmo comes in.We dont want a successful year and fade away come finals aka Geelong.
Like it or lump it we need to rest older players even for big games.We also need to keep playing younger players to put pressure on [Geelong didnt]
This list is very different to 2018 where we had young star after young star debutting.Its a balancing act that needs to peak at the big weekend in Sept not August.
I believe this season more than any other will frank Simmos coaching credentials.

I think this is the year of Simpson.Can he really coach when theres a bit of uncertainty within the ranks?
Ive tipped us for top 4 as talent doesnt go away but it can hide.
Its no good just giving everybody a giant rocket and then sitting back and watching success come.
The rockets from the media,Nesbitt etc were well founded but with an aging profile thats where Simmo comes in.We dont want a successful year and fade away come finals aka Geelong.
Like it or lump it we need to rest older players even for big games.We also need to keep playing younger players to put pressure on [Geelong didnt]
This list is very different to 2018 where we had young star after young star debutting.Its a balancing act that needs to peak at the big weekend in Sept not August.
I believe this season more than any other will frank Simmos coaching credentials.

Like it all eaglesnutcase - but especially the bold. As a team with enough talent (on paper) to make the finals we need to be peaking at the pointy end. I reckon although it might cost us one game across the season we'd be best served picking only 21 of the best available 22 and using the other spot for a developing player. That means we have a bigger better list when it really matters.

The other aspect with JK playing on is that affects our future forward line and ruck stocks - esp Williams, Waterman and OA. My solution is play JK off the bench rather than Williams. And occasionally use him higher, in short bursts, as he seems better value in that role than JD (or JW).

...My solution is play JK off the bench rather than Williams. And occasionally use him higher, in short bursts, as he seems better value in that role than JD (or JW).

JK vs Richmond 2021.

15 touches, 4 goals, 6 I50, 3 GA, 3 Tackles. 2 Brownlow votes.

His work up the ground brought a tear to the eye. Possibly the last time we'll see the best of him.

Any tactical talk coming out of the club from either a player or a member of the coaching staff that doesn't make mention of tackling and contested ball should rightfully have us all very, very nervous

All well and good to want to move the ball faster, but thats hard to do when you either can't win it in tight (contested ball), or win it back defensively (tackling)

Any tactical talk coming out of the club from either a player or a member of the coaching staff that doesn't make mention of tackling and contested ball should rightfully have us all very, very nervous

All well and good to want to move the ball faster, but thats hard to do when you either can't win it in tight (contested ball), or win it back defensively (tackling)
Agree totally.Thats why its so important to keep the youngsters coming.Our new generation Nelson,Edwards,Cole Xo etc may not be as super talented as some previous generations but the easiest way to earn some love is tackling.We need young legs for that chasing pressure.
If a kid came off with six possessions and twenty tackles i think youd be hard pressed to drop him.
Its always easier to be the Hunter rather than the Hunted!! For a start you dont have to be first to the ball.

Agree totally.Thats why its so important to keep the youngsters coming.Our new generation Nelson,Edwards,Cole Xo etc may not be as super talented as some previous generations but the easiest way to earn some love is tackling.We need young legs for that chasing pressure.
If a kid came off with six possessions and twenty tackles i think youd be hard pressed to drop him.
Its always easier to be the Hunter rather than the Hunted!! For a start you dont have to be first to the ball.

Age is not a barrier to chasing pressure. It is simply a need by the coach and a non negotiable to make sure all players buy in to it. Those who don't and refuse to do it then must be made an example of. This is how you put in place standards within the group.
Younger players won't do it either if it's not a major requirement.

Age is not a barrier to chasing pressure. It is simply a need by the coach and a non negotiable to make sure all players buy in to it. Those who don't and refuse to do it then must be made an example of. This is how you put in place standards within the group.
Younger players won't do it either if it's not a major requirement.
Thats a given.But younger players bring energy.Instead of older players sitting around patting each other on the back we have younger players hungry for their spot.Harks back to my earlier posts about how Simmo manages the team this year.

Oh for sure, hard not to be cynical at this stage! And ironically these comments about faster ball movement coming from an increasingly inert object? Who will fill Jetta's boots - Witherden hasn't been quite the revelation many of us were hoping for - yet? (Jets would've been suited to faster ball movement).
Anyway, I remain optimistic until all is partially revealed in the pre-season matches.

It was a curious sentence about players now being able to talk to Simmo? Meaning he was unreachable last season or what?

We should have slotted witherden in from round 1 and made others adjust, can’t recall if he was injured or not

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back