Training 2022 Pre-season

Remove this Banner Ad

sense some frustration at being named emergency for a number of games. I really like his enthusiasm and forward pressure and hopefully he gets a run at it this year. We have a good team and at least 5 or 6 very competent fringe players so competition for some spots can only make us a stronger team as frustrating as that might be for some young players. Still not as bad as Scott Boland, man of the match with 6 for 7 and probably is dropped for the next test if Hazlewood is fit.

I hope he gets quite a few games next season or we risk the chance of him going to other pastures......and I believe he would really rather be a Lion. Loyalty is so important, he's shown spades of it so far.
I actually rate him as a better contributor than Jarrod. Given a run of games I feel he would cement his spot in the 22 and become a real important player for us.
The other contributing factor with some players on the fringe (like Thomas & Jack Payne) is that The Lions are threatening to win a flag which is every players dream & is the main motivating factor in playing for a club. Should we be seller dwellers I am sure we would have significant problems keeping the list we have right now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

sense some frustration at being named emergency for a number of games. I really like his enthusiasm and forward pressure and hopefully he gets a run at it this year. We have a good team and at least 5 or 6 very competent fringe players so competition for some spots can only make us a stronger team as frustrating as that might be for some young players. Still not as bad as Scott Boland, man of the match with 6 for 7 and probably is dropped for the next test if Hazlewood is fit.

Rewind three weeks & go ask Scott Boland if he'd be happy playing for Australia, being man of the match in an ashes deciding test match & then being dropped for the following test.

I'm sure he'd still say hell yesssss.

Rewind three weeks & go ask Scott Boland if he'd be happy playing for Australia, being man of the match in an ashes deciding test match & then being dropped for the following test.

I'm sure he'd still say hell yesssss.

I actually rate him as a better contributor than Jarrod. Given a run of games I feel he would cement his spot in the 22 and become a real important player for us.
The other contributing factor with some players on the fringe (like Thomas & Jack Payne) is that The Lions are threatening to win a flag which is every players dream & is the main motivating factor in playing for a club. Should we be seller dwellers I am sure we would have significant problems keeping the list we have right now.
Jarrod has had a few issues (injuries and illness) the last couple of years and needs to lift next season. I see Dev as potentially taking his spot.

Agree with you that if Lions were a bottom team it would be hard to keep players, as we have seen in the past. However, IMO there are players that will consider leaving if not getting a regular run. Seeking an opportunity for regular AFL games at another club is not uncommon and it also likely results in a player potentially earning higher contracts into the future. As an example a competent KPD, KPF & midfielder playing regular AFL games, could likely earn $400-$500K per season, especially from a weaker club attempting to build their list. IF the players game develops further whilst regularly playing AFL, then their earning capacity for the next contract increases. as opposed to being a fringe player at a strong club. I doubt any of our young fringe players (Tom Berry, Dev, Fullarton, Madden, Answerth, Payne, Prior, Ely etc) are on anything near $300k a season.

Jarrod has had a few issues (injuries and illness) the last couple of years and needs to lift next season. I see Dev as potentially taking his spot.

Agree with you that if Lions were a bottom team it would be hard to keep players, as we have seen in the past. However, IMO there are players that will consider leaving if not getting a regular run. Seeking an opportunity for regular AFL games at another club is not uncommon and it also likely results in a player potentially earning higher contracts into the future. As an example a competent KPD, KPF & midfielder playing regular AFL games, could likely earn $400-$500K per season, especially from a weaker club attempting to build their list. IF the players game develops further whilst regularly playing AFL, then their earning capacity for the next contract increases. as opposed to being a fringe player at a strong club. I doubt any of our young fringe players (Tom Berry, Dev, Fullarton, Madden, Answerth, Payne, Prior, Ely etc) are on anything near $300k a season.
Most afl players have the following priorities (in order) when considering their careers:

1) To play finals with the prospect of winning a premiership.
2) To play with a group of team mates who are very close and stick together.
3) $$$

Money jumps up a little to 2 maybe when they get near the end of their career but if you ask most afl players I am reasonably sure that the majority would prioritise as above. (Fringe players included)

Most afl players have the following priorities (in order) when considering their careers:

3) $$$

Money jumps up a little to 2 maybe when they get near the end of their career but if you ask most afl players I am reasonably sure that the majority would prioritise as above. (Fringe players included)
Not sure you can make a broad comment about most AFL players and their priorities... unless you are associated with them (and not just from one club cohort). Are you associated with the Lions, and/or are you a previous AFL player?. IMO there is arguably little doubt that most if not all AFL players likely desire to play on the last Sat: in Sept and win a flag, but there are numerous players that are very good players that have stayed with struggling clubs, due to loyalty and or $$$.

Personally I would rate playing finals and winning a flag very highly, as you have indicated, but arguably for some fringe players, securing a permanent 'best 22'spot with a club would be a priority. The AFL only awards 23 premiership medals on GF day, not for the entire squad.

I don't know how close the entire squad is at the Lions, maybe you do?

3) $$$

We have lost quite a few fringe players in recent years but it doesn’t seem to have hurt the Culture of the Club and or the on field prospects of the club.
It is pretty widely known that fringe players are ‘gettable’ during the trade period and it is possible we will lose more who may leave for more opportunity if not given a continual run at it here.

We have lost quite a few fringe players in recent years but it doesn’t seem to have hurt the Culture of the Club and or the on field prospects of the club.
It is pretty widely known that fringe players are ‘gettable’ during the trade period and it is possible we will lose more who may leave for more opportunity if not given a continual run at it here.
Who was the last fringe player we lost, that the club didn’t want to lose?

For me, a fringe player is a player in that 23 to 30/33 bracket. Very close to best 22, and potentially ready to replace another player in the best 22.

Players I’d consider fringe players (depends if they’re in your best 22 or not).
Payne
Lester
Madden
*Answerth
Mathieson
T.Berry
Sharp
Fullerton
Ah Chee
*Cockatoo
Fort

Note: I have K.Coleman, Prior and Robertson all in my best 22.

Answerth and Cockatoo have to prove to me they are over their injuries before they really cement their place as borderline best 22 quality.

And I’m not including the draftees just yet, as they haven’t shown anything yet.

Fringe players stuck behind some gun players is an interesting one
Lets say said fringe player get to play 10 to 15 AFL games before his contract is up
I imagine that sort of player may have an idea where his future lies after his end of year interviews
Also that player has some currency for his manager to use if they decide to seek another opportunity
I doubt many move on to big money at another club. Could be some exceptions that get offered good coin

Anther type are ones stuck in the VFL and only have VFL form for managers to use for a possible new club
Unfortunately for these guys the VFL had limited games for them to show what they can offer over the last 2 years
No way those guys get good money if they leave.
However if they get offered a spot at another club they do get another opportunity to impress. Hopefully they get a better deal down the track

Then the ageing fringe player. They need to play extremely well if given opportunities. Could be retained for depth maybe a trade or delisted
With restricted list spots delisting is most likely

Then of course the club has to cull their list to make way for youth each year, so fringe players are always considered for delisting

I cant think of any fringe players we have lost recently. There are a few we have let go but none I recall that went on their own.

I cant think of any fringe players we have lost recently. There are a few we have let go but none I recall that went on their own.
The last few years (2017-2020) I don't believe we have had the depth we now have with our fringe players, especially the 3-5 year player. I feel we are very strong with our 23-30 best range of players. Last couple of years we let players go like Walker (who is permanent 22 with North), Ben Keays, now permanent with Crows etc.

The premise of my earlier post was firstly, that some fringe players are likely not to wait around for years for an opportunity, especially at a strong club; eg Coleman-Jones and Chol . Secondly, being let go by the club or requesting a trade etc, some of our fringe players would likely get an opportunity at weaker clubs and eventually after a couple of years of playing regular AFL their earning potential increases, as they are seen as permanent best 22 AFL players. Apparently Coleman-Jones and Chol on upwards of $400k per season. If they play well for their new teams their earning capacity increases dramatically for their next contract.

The last few years (2017-2020) I don't believe we have had the depth we now have with our fringe players, especially the 3-5 year player. I feel we are very strong with our 23-30 best range of players. Last couple of years we let players go like Walker (who is permanent 22 with North), Ben Keays, now permanent with Crows etc.

The premise of my earlier post was firstly, that some fringe players are likely not to wait around for years for an opportunity, especially at a strong club; eg Coleman-Jones and Chol . Secondly, being let go by the club or requesting a trade etc, some of our fringe players would likely get an opportunity at weaker clubs and eventually after a couple of years of playing regular AFL their earning potential increases, as they are seen as permanent best 22 AFL players. Apparently Coleman-Jones and Chol on upwards of $400k per season. If they play well for their new teams their earning capacity increases dramatically for their next contract.
Both signed long’ish contracts at their new clubs.

Who was the last fringe player we lost, that the club didn’t want to lose?
A fringe player is a fringe player, whether as a club they want them or not?
Correct?
There are many so called fringe players that are no longer at the club.
And you don’t need me to spell them out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back