Preview The 2022 Pre Season Training Official Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

But part of the game is using correct disposal
If a player doesn't have prior, there should be ball up if he doesn't immediately dispose of it (correctly) or it's not knocked out in the tackle, like was the case in the 90s and 2000s. The umpires let the play go too long now.

The rolling mauls are worse than a ball up. Call the ball up, and throw it up after 2 seconds. Don't wait 20 seconds for rucks (and 15 other players) to come in from 50m away and cause congestion. It's the nomination of rucks which is causing congestion.

If prior opportunity (and that's about 2 seconds), and no legal disposal (kick or handball), it's HTB whether it's knocked out, dropped, given to another player or held in.

It's not rocket science!
  • Prior opportunity (~2 seconds)-> If it's not immediately (<1 second) handballed or kicked, it's HTB.
  • No prior opportunity-> Knocked out, or legally disposed of within 1 second- play on. Otherwise, ball up within 3 seconds.

I think it's close. If he continues on his trajectory from late last year there's plenty reason to be excited.

Might take a couple more preseasons until we see him in physical condition needed to translate his talent into star wingman.

I'd probably have Rachele behind Thilthorpe given the hype seems real.
I'd have Harry in that conversation as well. But yeah, all those boys seriously have something about them.

Will be fun to look back at this conversation in 5 years and see who made the biggest jump.

I'd have Harry in that conversation as well. But yeah, all those boys seriously have something about them.

Will be fun to look back at this conversation in 5 years and see who made the biggest jump.
The players that I think have the potential to become true A graders are:
Thilthorpe
Schoenberg
Rachele
Cook
Pedlar
Jones

God I hope these guys reach their potential.

Thilthorpe
Schoenberg
Rachele
Cook
Pedlar
Jones

I don't think Jones can be in that group currently. Needs to show a lot more this season. Was better late obviously, but I don't think A grade is likely yet.

Sholl is one I hope recaptures his first half 2021 form.

Thilthorpe
Schoenberg
Rachele
Cook
Pedlar
Jones

I would add Dawson and Scholl to that list, with Thilthorpe, Rachele, Schoenberg and Dawson being (at the moment) most likely.

No love for Sam Berry?

Came in off of playing no football in his draft year but managed 17 AFL games all out of position is a pretty good effort and augurs well for the future IMO.

Zac Taylor has the talent and traits to be our next Rory Laird clone but with far superior foot skills.

No love for Sam Berry?

Came in off of playing no football in his draft year but managed 17 AFL games all out of position is a pretty good effort and augurs well for the future IMO.

Zac Taylor has the talent and traits to be our next Rory Laird clone but with far superior foot skills.
A bit early for me to put either on my list, but you've seen more of both so very happy you think both would be on your list.

Off topic a bit, but what are your thoughts on Soligo? The club assumedly had him rated higher than Taylor, who I like the look of, but Soligo wasn't on my radar.

A bit early for me to put either on my list, but you've seen more of both so very happy you think both would be on your list.

Off topic a bit, but what are your thoughts on Soligo? The club assumedly had him rated higher than Taylor, who I like the look of, but Soligo wasn't on my radar.
IMO Soligo can be a contributing best 22 type, Taylor with his immaculate foot skills has a higher potential ceiling IMO.

I don't think Jones can be in that group currently. Needs to show a lot more this season. Was better late obviously, but I don't think A grade is likely yet.

Not sure about Sholl. His biggest issue was exposed badly last year.
Jones on the other hand made real strides. He has A grade qualities. If he keeps building that confidence, he can be a real difference maker.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No love for Sam Berry?

What Sam Berry did was incredible. I just don't think he has the ceiling of the others. I think he will be very good, but probably not at that level.

What Sam Berry did was incredible. I just don't think he has the ceiling of the others. I think he will be very good, but probably not at that level.
I kind of feel like Sam's ceiling could be a peak Paul Chapman (which I say with a begrudging respect because I used to hate how often he burned us in that annoyingly great Cats dynasty).

I don't think he's going be our cream, but could certainly be a very dangerous "best of the rest" type.

I kind of feel like Sam's ceiling could be a peak Paul Chapman (which I say with a begrudging respect because I used to hate how often he burned us in that annoyingly great Cats dynasty).

I don't think he's going be our cream, but could certainly be a very dangerous "best of the rest" type.
Chapman is a great comparison actually. The sort of bloke you don't think about too much now that he's retired, but he was a massive thorn in your side whenever you played against him.

If Sam Berry turns out to be half as good as Chapman I’d be very happy.

He’s not a flashy type, but he has some of the cleanest one touch hands and strongest core I’ve seen in a first year player. Both attributes of extremely good players

Thilthorpe
Schoenberg
Rachele
Cook
Pedlar
Jones

I'd probably have Gollant and Murray in a list like this as well. Both showed a rather massive rate of improvement over 2021, and both have a game that doesn't seem to need a whole lot added to it to really push higher.

I don't particularly like Jones in this conversation either. Seems a bit too desperate to have him in a similar place to someone like Schoenberg/Cook at this point, seeing it is really only half a season of solid football as a small defender for someone who has spent 3 years on the list.

I'd probably have Gollant and Murray in a list like this as well. Both showed a rather massive rate of improvement over 2021, and both have a game that doesn't seem to need a whole lot added to it to really push higher.

I don't particularly like Jones in this conversation either. Seems a bit too desperate to have him in a similar place to someone like Schoenberg/Cook at this point, seeing it is really only half a season of solid football as a small defender for someone who has spent 3 years on the list.
Personally I'd have Butts there. He has really not put a foot wrong and will only get stronger and more experienced. He has the potential to be a real A grade key defender imo

I think that Jones might be a good explanation of the difference between potential and likelihood. He definitely has the tools to make it, but you wouldn't have him in the same conversation as Thilthorp or Schoenberg for likelihood of getting there.

That said, I went fishing with a guy who golfs with Tex and Sloan (next door neighbour's cat etc). Apparently they do have Jones in the same conversation with Thilthorp, Rachele, Dawson and Schoenberg. Also said they liked Pedlar, but he was held back by his groin issues. They like Fog, particularly Tex, but he needs to get to more contests.

Chapman is a great comparison actually. The sort of bloke you don't think about too much now that he's retired, but he was a massive thorn in your side whenever you played against him.
I know right, when you think of that world beating Cats team you don't think of Chapman right away, but in nearly every big game that guy was in the best players. Snagged himself a cheeky Norm if my memory serves me.

Thilthorpe
Schoenberg
Rachele
Cook
Pedlar
Jones

Add Butts and it is potentially a great core of young players going forward.

When a group of high quality comes through from a young age, you win Premierships.

We had that in the 1990s, and should have won more.

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Personally I'd have Butts there. He has really not put a foot wrong and will only get stronger and more experienced. He has the potential to be a real A grade key defender imo

I want to see how Adelaide treat him next year before I do, as I reckon the path we're looking like going down (full blown shutdown defender) will probably stop Butts from reaching those heights. If we're willing to expand on his offensive game, he certainly has a shot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back