Food for thought (or more accurately, food thoughts and inspirations)

Remove this Banner Ad

Hopefully it was a zinger bacon and cheese box.

I am making my family burgers for lunch! You should come over hehe
I was not that impressed by the zinger burger. I don't think that they do it right - the chicken should be flattened out like a schnitzel and the bun should be larger. The same piece of chicken would be far nicer if it was squashed out a bit. The buns that these franchises use are not nice at all. Does anybody know how you can make bread have such a bad taste and texture? I think they are steamed when they should be toasted and made from real bread.

I was not that impressed by the zinger burger. I don't think that they do it right - the chicken should be flattened out like a schnitzel and the bun should be larger. The same piece of chicken would be far nicer if it was squashed out a bit. The buns that these franchises use are not nice at all. Does anybody know how you can make bread have such a bad taste and texture? I think they are steamed when they should be toasted and made from real bread.
Did u get the normal zinger of the bacon and cheese

Let's see if anybody is able to watch this... It is on Facebook so that might limit some of you.

Skip to 10:30 to avoid the set up.

The video is a walk-through of the night market in Gaya Street Kota Kinabalu (Borneo Malaysia). This is a really great intro to the street foods of Sabah, Borneo and Malaysia in general.

By the way - the video is an hour long but I liked it. If you ever get an urge to visit Malaysia, in my opinion, Borneo is a must. The city KK (Sabah) is terrific as is the other Malaysian state capital, Kuching (Sarawak) - which I personally preferred (the rest of my family liked KK better). We have visited several times, including when my son was in preschool so (Covid notwithstanding) we reckon this is a safe yet exotic destination.

1642765239798.png

Last edited:
Hi all,

Have to prepare something for a group dinner on Friday. Theme is bougie bogan.

Can I get some suggestions of essential bogan foods? I’ll try my best to make them ~bougie~

Hi all,

Can I get some suggestions of essential bogan foods? I’ll try my best to make them ~bougie~
Baby cheesus

Hi all,

Apologies if the following offends, no judgement here, just experience.

Arrival spread: pre cut cheese cubes and ‘kabana’, French onion dip and philly cheese with sweet chili sauce. Offer a beer or sparkling to guests to ‘get up’ them.

Entree: prawn cocktail is too easy, so I’d go with puff pastry squares topped with sun dried tomatoes and, once again, pre cut feta cubes. Sprinkle some oregano on that, you know you want too!

Main: chicken Kiev, tomahawk steak surf and turf, some plastic offal bags for the kidlets. If you have an airfryer, go a fisherman’s basket, and talk about how quick it took.

Dessert: sorry, has to be Pav or sticky date pudding.

After dinner: individually wrapped after dinner mints, maybe some type of melon, cut in oversized crescents.

Apologies if the following offends, no judgement here, just experience.

Arrival spread: pre cut cheese cubes and ‘kabana’, French onion dip and philly cheese with sweet chili sauce. Offer a beer or sparkling to guests to ‘get up’ them.

Entree: prawn cocktail is too easy, so I’d go with puff pastry squares topped with sun dried tomatoes and, once again, pre cut feta cubes. Sprinkle some oregano on that, you know you want too!

Main: chicken Kiev, tomahawk steak surf and turf, some plastic offal bags for the kidlets. If you have an airfryer, go a fisherman’s basket, and talk about how quick it took.

Dessert: sorry, has to be Pav or sticky date pudding.

After dinner: individually wrapped after dinner mints, maybe some type of melon, cut in oversized crescents.
Absolutely nailed it

Just heaps of suger in them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just heaps of suger in them.
Like fairy floss with flour.

Speaking of bread...

My wife can make pretty good bread but it is far cheaper to buy it Occasionally, I make it - we knead using a bread maker - lazy option. My wife prefers to make bread using the Tanzong Method (nothing to do witrh the rythm method) although I prefer a more basic style and usually it's for pizza dough (which I might try tomorrow come to think of it).

But tonight, Hot Cross Buns is my peeve.

I like them and I don't complain when they are available on boxing day (although that is a cynical marketing strategy). I bought a 9 pack from Coles that were OK, even if not up to home made standard. So I bought more, not realising that the six pack would be different. The bread was heavy and soft, somewhat doughy and had very fine bubbles compared to the harder, dryer 9 pack of buns. I have to rate the 6 pack of buns as a 2/10 at best. They have fruit but no spice flavour and they are just lacklustre.

The reason they didn't get 1/10 is because...

I then got a pack of Brick Lane HCBs (also from Coles). They were actually worse.

Traditional new year rice cake soup ( rice cakes, grilled beef mince, dried seaweed, chopped omelette ) and a Yeosu dry white wine.
No Korean corn dogs😔

Remove this Banner Ad

Back