Preview Pre-season practice: GWS v Sydney Swans, 6 pm Friday 25 February 2022 @ Lavington Sports Ground

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS

Match Details

GIANTS v Swans
Friday, February 25 at 6:00pm
Lavington Sports Ground

Gates open at 4:00pm

Tickets

GIANTS Members

GIANTS members will be eligible to redeem one free of charge ticket to our upcoming practice match against the Swans in Albury. Details on how to book their free ticket will be sent via email to eligible members. If you have not received this information, please contact the GIANTS membership on 1300 442 687 or email membership@gwsgiants.com.au.

General Public
General Admission tickets are available from $15.00 with gates opening from 4:00pm.

Tickets are available HERE from the Albury Entertainment Centre Website.

Open Training Session

The GIANTS will hold an open training session at Lavington Sports Ground on Thursday, February 24 from roughly 4.45pm.

This is a great chance to get up close to your favourite GIANTS players including Stephen Coniglio, Josh Kelly, Callan Ward, Lachie Whitfield and Tim Taranto.

The session will take place at Lavington Sports Ground as the players take part in a training session involving skill work and match simulation.

Date: February 24
Time: 4.45pm-5.30pm
Where: Lavington Sports Ground

Squad Selection

The GIANTS will name their squad at 5pm on Thursday night at giants.afl.

Broadcast

For those who can’t attend the match, all the action will be streamed live on Kayo.

Have we named our team, I am especially keen to see if any of our draftees play.
I presume tonight, given the timings for teams being named for yesterday & today's games.

I would think we'll see at least Leek Aleer; and possibly Josh Fahey & Cooper Hamilton as well given the larger sized squads.

What about Finn, do you think he plays round 1 in VFL, or later than that to debut in the VFL ( I assume he won't debut in AFL unless he does as the Medical sub).

GIANTS fans will get their first opportunity to see the 2021 draft class in action with first-round draftees Finn Callaghan and Leek Aleer to play, along with Academy product Josh Fahey and rookie Cooper Hamilton.

New recruit Jarrod Brander will play in GIANTS colours for the first time, along with ruck Braydon Preuss who is yet to debut for the club.

Key defender Lachlan Keeffe will also return to the field, nine months after tearing his ACL in May last year.

It’s a strong squad for the first hit-out of the pre-season with three Academy products and VFL listed players in Josh Green (brother of Tom), Harry Grintell and Sam Frost to also feature.

GWS GIANTS

1. Phil Davis, 3. Stephen Coniglio, 6. Lachie Whitfield, 7. Lachie Ash, 8. Callan Ward, 9. Ryan Angwin, 10. Jacob Wehr, 11. Braydon Preuss, 12. Tom Green, 13. Isaac Cumming, 14. Tim Taranto, 17. Finn Callaghan, 18. Conor Stone, 19. Nick Haynes, 20. James Peatling, 21. Leek Aleer, 22. Josh Kelly, 23. Jesse Hogan, 24. Matt de Boer, 25. Lachlan Keeffe, 26. Jake Riccardi, 27. Harry Himmelberg, 29. Cameron Fleeton, 30. Matt Flynn, 31. Jarrod Brander, 32. Kieren Briggs, 33. Xavier O’Halloran, 34. Josh Fahey, 35. Will Shaw, 36. Harry Perryman, 37. Bobby Hill, 38. Daniel Lloyd, 39. Connor Idun, 42. Jake Stein, 43. Cooper Hamilton, 46. Callum Brown, 47. Josh Green (VFL), 48. Harry Grintell (VFL), 49. Sam Frost (VFL)

Notable absentees: Toby Greene, Jacob Hopper, Sam Taylor, Adam Kennedy

Good opportunity for guys we haven't seen much of/ have lacked development opportunities due to covid, can not express how excited I am to see how Callaghan goes at this level, especially if he has grown even more

Don't love the idea of Hopper getting knee surgery, disappointed that we don't get to see Bruhn but if there's any concern over health at all players should be giving these games a miss, gonna be fun to see Callaghan hopefully he doesn't look totally out of place, out of everyone hoping Cogs dominates really want the best for him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't love the idea of Hopper getting knee surgery, disappointed that we don't get to see Bruhn but if there's any concern over health at all players should be giving these games a miss, gonna be fun to see Callaghan hopefully he doesn't look totally out of place, out of everyone hoping Cogs dominates really want the best for him.
We haven't heard much about Callaghan at all since he's been drafted.
It's less exciting when a top end draft pick isn't getting a walk up spot in a team like Daicos and JHF. He's going to be bigger bodied than those two and that might take some time to develop, but he's a hell of a runner which is super exciting. More two way mids.

The rise of Tom Green and Lachie Ash.

Also...after all the photos of Taranto coming out I'm half expecting him to turn Super Saiyan.

I guess the main thing to watch is which forward line variations we try out.
Stevie J is acting head coach...which I guess is so Leon can focus on that forward line for the game.
Riccardi/Brander/Stone/Flynn I think will all be trying to impress and earn a spot.
I think Riccardi is a super interesting player if he starts clunking them and playing as the deepest forward.

We haven't heard much about Callaghan at all since he's been drafted.
It's less exciting when a top end draft pick isn't getting a walk up spot in a team like Daicos and JHF. He's going to be bigger bodied than those two and that might take some time to develop, but he's a hell of a runner which is super exciting. More two way mids.

The rise of Tom Green and Lachie Ash.

Also...after all the photos of Taranto coming out I'm half expecting him to turn Super Saiyan.

I guess the main thing to watch is which forward line variations we try out.
Stevie J is acting head coach...which I guess is so Leon can focus on that forward line for the game.
Riccardi/Brander/Stone/Flynn I think will all be trying to impress and earn a spot.
I think Riccardi is a super interesting player if he starts clunking them and playing as the deepest forward.
Really excited to see how the Ash on ball minutes look, if he can be effective I'm not sure there's many midfielders in the entire comp that'll be able to run with him

Remove this Banner Ad

Back