Autopsy Doomsday - Diabolical Dogs Downed by Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

we will go 0-4. Better hope North continues to be crap.

You don't think you'll beat Sydney at Marvel or an undermanned and out of form Richmond? You will win one, but more likely both of those games.

For a team that loves to press up with our defence and get in the face of the opposition, the retreating on the man on the mark seems to fly in the face of everything our defensive structure stands for,

basically just allows the play on and for entry to be deeper. Crazy.

I disagree, going back from the mark allows us to control angles of our oppo more with our team defence.

We are not good at it yet, we are still learning. To my eye Bev is playing the long game with this one and it looks like he sees it as something we can exploit. We are not executing it well at the moment but it is not illogical as some are making it out to be.

After tonight I'm thinking that Naughton might have to go back. He has no goalkicking routine and it's a surprise if he actually kicks the goal. Maybe we have to accept that he is a defender. Hope I'm wrong but he's never going to go close to winning the league goalkicking despite supposedly being a dominant forward. He can take five inside fifty marks and not look like kicking a goal.
I don’t like overreacting to a loss but I 100% agree with this call on Naughton. He is an absolute force out there but he is not a full forward. Put him back and watch him save games rather than trying, and failing to win them off his own boot.
Premierships are built on rock solid defence and a pairing of Keath and Naughton down back is just that.
I honestly cannot believe this team made a GF last year. Cannot believe it.
Our midfield is no where near the best in the comp. Smashed regularly.
How do we come back after last year without addressing any of our positional issues? not one? jesus!

Can we afford to play 3 rebounding / attacking defenders in the back six against 6/6/6 ?
Are we simply placing to much pressure on our defensive system that favours outlet defenders to play like point guards ( if we win the ball ) over 1/1 defensive skill set’s.
It’s only 2 games and we made a GF last year however we can see the comp is always evolving and improving and those blessed with good KP stock are going to trouble us . We clearly don’t have key backs to come in and ask a lot of Keith .
There’s a whole lot to play out however my feeling is that i would rather have Naughts play back ( or at least swing back against certain teams ) .
That would require English to play a big role forward which requires a second ruckman . Neither likly to happen .
There’s a Long ways to go and still confident we will win enough season games to make finals this year. Question is how to beat the 6/6/6 which like the 3 man up rule has exposed us vs certain teams .

I don’t like overreacting to a loss but I 100% agree with this call on Naughton. He is an absolute force out there but he is not a full forward. Put him back and watch him save games rather than trying, and failing to win them off his own boot.
Premierships are built on rock solid defence and a pairing of Keath and Naughton down back is just that.
I honestly cannot believe this team made a GF last year. Cannot believe it.
Our midfield is no where near the best in the comp. Smashed regularly.
How do we come back after last year without addressing any of our positional issues? not one? jesus!

You cannot believe it but we did...

It would be crazy to throw our ONLY 40+ goal forward down back. He kicked 4.1 last week. How soon people forget.

Stef isn't fit (and never really will be) and Sweet isn't ready to take no.1 ruck without growing his game. It would be a net loss. IMO it's a list management issue not a coaching/selection issue.
How do we know if he never gets a chance in there?

We won every game Sweet played last year except the Melbourne debacle. But let’s be honest they have proven capable of pantsing us with Martin and English Rucking and English alone. Don’t see how testing out Sweet and English as a combo could hurt.

It’s like people’s argument for not playing Marra, supposedly his conditioning was going to hurt us
more than his forward craft was going to help us. He’s definitely still not fit enough but it makes no bloody difference. He is by far the most natural forward on our list and his presence completely transforms our forward 50. The fact that he will likely ping at least two goals per week is just a bonus.

Can we afford to play 3 rebounding / attacking defenders in the back six against 6/6/6 ?
Are we simply placing to much pressure on our defensive system that favours outlet defenders to play like point guards ( if we win the ball ) over 1/1 defensive skill set’s.
It’s only 2 games and we made a GF last year however we can see the comp is always evolving and improving and those blessed with good KP stock are going to trouble us . We clearly don’t have key backs to come in and ask a lot of Keith .
There’s a whole lot to play out however my feeling is that i would rather have Naughts play back ( or at least swing back against certain teams ) .
That would require English to play a big role forward which requires a second ruckman . Neither likly to happen .
There’s a Long ways to go and still confident we will win enough season games to make finals this year. Question is how to beat the 6/6/6 which like the 3 man up rule has exposed us vs certain teams .
I thought bringing Williams back in was a masterstroke. I think that you are spot on that our defense is way too offensive without him. When Daniel, Dale and Dr cumulatively have shockers they can definitely be a huge defensive weakness for us.

The strange thing yesterday was that we got totally embarrassed on the ground defensively. On paper our small defenders and ground ball players look good but every lose ball in the first two quarter in and around our forward 50 got turned into a goal by their smalls.

I think 1-2 more mediums who are more defensively minded would go a long way. Buku??

We still need a true ruckman or second ruckman playing along side English. We also have a lot weighing on O’Brien fixing our tall defensive issues.

Our midfield is both a strength and a weakness. Whilst we have outstanding midfielders and great depth to rotate through there, they lack a defensive edge though due to their strength they are offensively minded and defending at stoppages is an after thought. When we have momentum they look brilliant but when the opposition has a run on we fail to lock down and defend first.

The obvious list management point is that Sweet has now been on the list for 3-4 years and extended. He has sufficient development and you’ve given him a contract. Bloody play him.

We’ll be right about Sweet the same way we have been right about Marra.

We don’t have many magnets to move. The only obvious one is to get Sweet in hopefully he can knock the door down today. But we have no other tall options bar the ones that we played last night. Schache is the only key position player that was left out last night (that isn’t on the injury list). The cupboard is bare for quality in those key position posts and our list balance is out of whack. We need quality talls (including a second ruck who is dangerous forward).

I’d like Jones and Bedendo in. Two players with real talent and speed. But they won’t make a real massive difference this year.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Genuinely do hope he is okay... but after that could Crozier play next week or do you sit him out of all levels as a precaution?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Am I right here? Seems to me whenever Timmy looks at his opponent when going for tap outs instead of watching the ball, he loses the contest. Apart from being a sign of lack of confidence, it takes away a split second where he could be reaching for the ball, then by the time he returns to looking at the ball it's gone!
Last week he didn't seem to be doing this and went way better.

Spot on. He often loses front position and is easily bodied out of the contest.

I disagree, going back from the mark allows us to control angles of our oppo more with our team defence.

We are not good at it yet, we are still learning. To my eye Bev is playing the long game with this one and it looks like he sees it as something we can exploit. We are not executing it well at the moment but it is not illogical as some are making it out to be.

Its the longest long game in AFL hsitory. The time is now.

I think 1-2 more mediums who are more defensively minded would go a long way. Buku??
Tim O'Brien should be ok this week. He's an automatic in

Can one of our awesome stats people let me know if my below inclination is right?

With Jamarra in we managed 26 shots from 51 inside 50s. More than Carlton who were on fire for half the game and couldn’t miss a target.

That’s an efficiency of over 50%

That has to be miles better than our long term average. Because he is an actual forward with real leading patterns and a threat in the air there is automatically more space and more defenders shitting the bed.

Why was it so obvious to all of us that he would have that impact??

It might even be the making of Hannan who now realised that if he doesn’t pull his finger out and have some impact his career is over. Was a ghost in the first half again but looked much better for having Marra in their with him.

Last edited:
Just want to join the chorus of criticism about our negligence in not having at least one developing KPD on the list. I made the point in the VFL thread that having only two players over 192 cms on the list was poor and reflected badly. ( I presume they are both rucks). How it has not been addressed after years is shameful and incompetent.
Also I support the calls for O’Brien to come in but that is based solely on hope. 10 years at the Hawks and I never noticed him. Probably a recruiter knows more than me. I hope so.

Playing Seeet and English solves more problems for our side than it creates.
Play timmy 50% ruck and resting down back.Timmy can take a mark, and looked good resting down back( in the roughy role).
Sweet can ruck and provide some physical presence around the ground.
Besides Libba,Keathy, and the Smith boy's who else in our team has some mongrel about them??
I would call most of our players talented but lacking some real physical presence.

Maybe a reality check of where we really are at..

We finished 5th last season and losing a grand final doesn't always mean you are the second best team going around.

Teams are going to hunt us hard this season and Carlton looked more hungry last night.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back