VFL 2022 VFL R1 v Box Hill (Sun 27-Mar 12.10pm @ Vic Park) [Channel 7]

Remove this Banner Ad

There’s still plenty of time… but did anybody notice McRae take little steps when the ball was there to be won, last quarter, at our half forward?
The kid ain’t playing AFL until he sorts that out…

Some stuff to look forward to, Ash will get opportunities, Begg could be anything, Reef looks the goods, the other was Harrison showed some class but was in and out a bit too much.

Anyone who thinks Kelly is a dud………………could be onto something.

I can’t believe people are shi!!ing on Macrae.

First VFL game this year:
15 disposals & 8 TACKLES.

Decent for a bloke who’s been affected by the pandemic.
I agree he was good today got tired towards the end that’s all just has to work on his tank like a lot of out young boys ppl need to have patience kids gonna be a gun

Great win, lads! That was stunning entertainment. To get up there when he were so short on tall players, and against some of the more dubious umpiring I've seen in a long time, was really impressive! We've now got lots of young blokes we can be getting excited about, but Johnson has a huge amount of talent. AFL-fit or not, he should be in the seniors very soon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How good a pick up was Neville Jetta! And that's before even considering his coaching and development role

That game was about as good as it gets. Super high quality of play for the VFL, against a strong opposition, and against three umpires who gave Box Hill no fewer than five goals from awful free kicks.

The stories of the game are, from an AFL perspective, Ash Johnson, Reef McInnes, and Tom Wilson.

Ash has springs in his heels. He dominated the ruck against guys six inches and 20kgs taller than him when he went in there, regularly leaping over them and taking clean possession, getting the clearance himself. He's got a huge jump and sticky fingers, and just looks like a player.

Reef is a natural footy player. He was tough on the inside when thrown into the midfield, he is actually fantastic overhead and in contested marking situations, and he oozes class around goal with two inspired snaps (one on the left, one on the right) to drag us back into the game in the 2nd quarter. He might play AFL as soon as next week - he already offers more than Tyler Brown.

And Tommy Wilson should never play defense again. He has X factor in spades. Leaping high, taking contested marks, kicking what will just about be VFL goal of the year with a left foot checkside under pressure from deep in the pocket, and then slotting two excellent set shots on the right very late in the game, including the winner with seconds left on the clock. He looked nothing like the nervous back flanker we saw at AFL level last year. His development has been immense.

Those three guys could slot in at AFL level in a pinch right now.

What a ****ing great start to the year. Go Pies!

Of all the players on our list in the 2s, happy to see that begg , johnson and mcinnes are trending well. Id say they are the 3 with the most potential on our list for high impact and its important they are tracking well

Some of the other that I have hopes for - draper, poulter, harrison, mccrae - still have plenty of time and have showed a bit.

It would be a pleasant surprise if wilson found another level, but in reality wilson and callum brown are looking like they are those cheap top up players who can play a role with discipline that you need to have a few on your list for list balance and insurance - like madgen - at least until you can find some better replacement.

Great win, lads! That was stunning entertainment. To get up there when he were so short on tall players, and against some of the more dubious umpiring I've seen in a long time, was really impressive! We've now got lots of young blokes we can be getting excited about, but Johnson has a huge amount of talent. AFL-fit or not, he should be in the seniors very soon.
You are being bloody generous with that umpiring assessment - I have a word for it but not in public.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back