VFL 2022 VFL R1 v Box Hill (Sun 27-Mar 12.10pm @ Vic Park) [Channel 7]

Remove this Banner Ad

To all those calling for Kelly’s beheading. What did you honestly expect today? He is the only true KPP in the back line against the best tall forward line he will come up against in the VFL. Yet Kozi, Jeka and Callow combined for two goals, one from a ruck free kick. He was rarely out marked all day.
Is Kelly’s beheading like your Cox’s beheading?

Just kidding mate he did his job today……..agreed.

To all those calling for Kelly’s beheading. What did you honestly expect today? He is the only true KPP in the back line against the best tall forward line he will come up against in the VFL. Yet Kozi, Jeka and Callow combined for two goals, one from a ruck free kick. He was rarely out marked all day.
I thought he held up alright too.

Nice summary.
I agree.
Who makes way?

I will start things off.
Noble, Ginnivan and Tyler Brown.
Maybe not this week… but those boys will be feeling the heat. This is how great teams are made.
Heat being generated in the VFL and AFL players having to lift and/or maintaining their game.
Ginnivan will in no way shape or form be feeling any heat. He was fantastic yesterday and is the attacking small forward we’ve been screaming out for.

Reef starting to announce himself
Murley show real promise
I like it much better when our new boys in the centre - That’s H’s spot
Need more of the others in there including Arlo
Fin needs to play in front more - should be getting more touches
McMahon looked to present
Ash impressive around the ground

Last edited:
Watched the last few minutes on 7, what an amazing finish! Go Pies!

The team were absolutely over the moon, and that's the kind of win that can keep a team going even through stretches when luck or form doesn't go their way.

Wish i'd been able to catch more of the game. Great to see our depth developing.

Agreed.
But there are boys in the VFL that want his spot.
Put the Go-Pro away and focus on being un-replaceable.
You need to get over the go pro thing. It was handed to him by the media team, it’s not like he whipped it out to chuck on his own Instagram.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can’t believe you would post that
Dave has elderly parents who he relies on for pretty much everything. I guess being a smart arse is pretty cool though huh?
Masks are optional & nobody should be pulled up for choosing to wear one. Or for choosing not to.

Dave has elderly parents who he relies on for pretty much everything. I guess being a smart arse is pretty cool though huh?
Masks are optional & nobody should be pulled up for choosing to wear one. Or for choosing not to.
I consider Dave a friend………..I am always honest with him and he knows that.

Disagree all you like I don’t GAF.

I don't have a problem with Caleb Poulter learning some football business in the VFL, but I'm keen to see him back at senior level.

Having not seen the game, is he on the cusp?

It might also be wondered where he plays.

I know I’m a big fan and this might come off as biased. However, Poulter started amazing. Very quiet 2nd half. He only had 2 disposals after half time.

The 2 disposals were very important.

1st: He received a handball from Mcinees and hit Johnson on a tight lead on the wing - which lead to a goal.

2nd: He took a strong mark on the wing. Probably should have been 50 for the contact after the mark. He then went quickly down the line - which lead to a goal.

Some stuff to look forward to, Ash will get opportunities, Begg could be anything, Reef looks the goods, the other was Harrison showed some class but was in and out a bit too much.

Anyone who thinks Kelly is a dud………………could be onto something.
I like the way Johnson moves - could play different roles for seniors, including maybe Howey's long-term replacement.
Beggy is showing good early signs for such a young big.
Harrison looks like being a beauty.
As for Kelly, I think best-case scenario is consistent VFL defensive roles and slow build to third tall back at senior level one day.
McInnes and Macrae will play seniors before too long, and Poulter probably should be now, but I don't mind them 'earning it' a bit more. Bianco's already been dropped for underperforming, and Tyler is likely next. Building pressure from below will keep the seniors honest.
One other pleasant surprise among the AFL-listed was Wilson's strong production up forward - good skills on display.
Did well to beat Box Hill after falling 4 goals behind.

Competition for spots to this degree is something we haven’t seen for quite a while.

Ash Johnson and Reef McIness look genuinely ready. Tom Wilson too if they wanted to bring him in for Kreuger and some more exposure.

Poulter, Harrison, Begg, Murley, Bianco, Macrae all had very positive glimpses. Cal Brown worked hard, and showed out at this level.

Kelly and McMahon were not embarrassed and can only benefit from regular footy.

I thought he was outmarked quite regularly by Callow to be fair. Callow's a good player, no shame in that. But AFL calibre forwards are gonna be even better.

I just don't see the raw ingredients for him to make it as a defender, he loses body contact far too much and can't seem to find the right position in the contest. I much preferred him as a forward where he didn't have to worry about marking a man.

Given he's behind Checkers, Kreuger, Cox, Cameron, and now likely Johnson, Wilson and McMahon, I can understand why he's being played down back.

I hope Will proves me wrong – it's really valiant of him to throw his hand up to fill the dearth of KPD roles.

Fantastic standard game. High scoring on both sides.

Dave and I were in the ryder stand, just opposition the coaches box.

Umpires were horrible. Dave thet them know haha. But the boys fought on, and against the odds got the win.

For the afl boys, plenty were around: Noble, Tyler, Ginni, Henry, Cox, Cameron, Pendles, Crisp, Madgen, Daicos x 2, IQ, McCreery. Checkers.
Dean and Murphy were doing some bench type stuff.

Lynchy and Phillips were having a catch up with checkers post game.

in regards to the game;

How impressive was Beggy? Kid will be a star. His tap work, his athleticism, high reach and contest work so so good. We missed him when he was on the bench. But poor kid rucking 99% of the time would have taken a lot out of him.
Johnson was good in the ruck. It was much better using him in there than McMahon who appeared to roll his ankle for a bit during it. Its not natural for him. But it may have been something Johnson could have down in SANFL for all we know.

Johnson looked good today.

Tardrew and Fowler had fantastic games. I always knew Fowler was an avid goal kicker, bit geez, he's like he has improved so much in the last 12 months.

Reef was great. Love his marking and goals.

Wilson, geez, he is a much better forward than defender that's for sure.

Cal, 31 disposals. He had a bit of it, was good.

Debut goals for Harrison and Murley. Both had good patches in the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back