VFL 2022 VFL R1 v Box Hill (Sun 27-Mar 12.10pm @ Vic Park) [Channel 7]

Remove this Banner Ad

I like the way Johnson moves - could play different roles for seniors, including maybe Howey's long-term replacement.
Beggy is showing good early signs for such a young big.
Harrison looks like being a beauty.
As for Kelly, I think best-case scenario is consistent VFL defensive roles and slow build to third tall back at senior level one day.
McInnes and Macrae will play seniors before too long, and Poulter probably should be now, but I don't mind them 'earning it' a bit more. Bianco's already been dropped for underperforming, and Tyler is likely next. Building pressure from below will keep the seniors honest.
One other pleasant surprise among the AFL-listed was Wilson's strong production up forward - good skills on display.
Did well to beat Box Hill after falling 4 goals behind.

Poulter was good, but our flankers are flying in the AFL, so no spot yet until injuries strike.
McInnes could come in any time to either inside mid on 50% game time like Tyler has been playing or as a forward.
Disagree on Macrae - he looked a long way off - I think he's a bit between inside and outside at the moment as they're trying to turn him into an inside mid, and he's too reactive at the moment.
I thought Kelly was a lot better than others suggest.
Johnson could play anywhere - really exciting talent.
Begg is a good athlete who competed really well. Good prospect.
Harrison showed a lot in the second half.
Murley didn't do much, but a few touches were really classy.

It was an honour to meet barrackers today.

Just quietly between barrackers football nous and my abuse of umpire number 7 we got our team over the line. 😝

To our negative posters on bigfooty we have some good youth coming through.

I enjoyed this game better than yesterday’s…………..ok maybe I had a few more vodkas 😂
Likewise it was good meeting you too and putting a face to a name. It was impossible not to get involved with calling out that ump.

Watched the last few minutes on 7, what an amazing finish! Go Pies!

The team were absolutely over the moon, and that's the kind of win that can keep a team going even through stretches when luck or form doesn't go their way.

Wish i'd been able to catch more of the game. Great to see our depth developing.
Assuming they do what they've done with other games a full replay will be up on the AFL(VFL) site soon enough (they just have highlights there at the moment): AFL - News, Fixtures, Scores & Results - AFL.com.au
It's well worth seeing! I presume it will be available to watch again via Channel 7 as well.

I thought he was outmarked quite regularly by Callow to be fair. Callow's a good player, no shame in that. But AFL calibre forwards are gonna be even better.

I just don't see the raw ingredients for him to make it as a defender, he loses body contact far too much and can't seem to find the right position in the contest. I much preferred him as a forward where he didn't have to worry about marking a man.

Given he's behind Checkers, Kreuger, Cox, Cameron, and now likely Johnson, Wilson and McMahon, I can understand why he's being played down back.

I hope Will proves me wrong – it's really valiant of him to throw his hand up to fill the dearth of KPD roles.
Most of Callow’s marks were up the ground when he was going through the ruck. I was a bit worried early but think that he held up fine

I don't have a problem with Caleb Poulter learning some football business in the VFL, but I'm keen to see him back at senior level.

Having not seen the game, is he on the cusp?

It might also be wondered where he plays.
He was in and out of the game. He's building but I'm not sure who he edges out given Brown is likely to be omitted for Maynard.

He was in and out of the game. He's building but I'm not sure who he edges out given Brown is likely to be omitted for Maynard.

I think Poulter could play defence but would struggle up forward, so in terms of his AFL role, the blokes he's competing with are Daicos, Daicos, Sidey, Pendles, Crisp, Noble, Maynard, IQ. I can't see him getting a game until we have injuries.

For the afl boys, plenty were around: Noble, Tyler, Ginni, Henry, Cox, Cameron, Pendles, Crisp, Madgen, Daicos x 2, IQ, McCreery. Checkers.
Dean and Murphy were doing some bench type stuff.
There's such a good vibe around the club right now. The AFL boys getting out in droves to support the VFL boys is just great to see. Fly has got the culture just absolutely humming.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ginnivan will in no way shape or form be feeling any heat. He was fantastic yesterday and is the attacking small forward we’ve been screaming out for.

He was 1 of our best Players in the 1st 2 Rounds

Wilson always projected as a natural forward even from a few years ago in some of the practice matches where he would finish regulation shots on the run with drop punts on his left.

His highlights also showed great aggression towards to the opponent with physicality…another important McRae trait.

Here’s hoping they leave him forward so we can see just what he can really do.

My Thoughts:

Begg and Johnson looked Really good on there Debut's for Collingwood. Begg looks like could be a Fantastic 2nd Ruck as can Clunk a Mark and go in the Ruck and put a Good Effort. Moves Lovely too and Good Skills. Johnson X-Factor is Huge. Can do anything.

Poulter had a Hot and Cold Game. Had a Really Good 1st Half with his Run and Carry and Skills. Very Quiet in 2nd Half but the Few Times he got into Game it ended in a Goal

Reef Good in the Middle and up Forward. Looks like not far off from AFL Game might even take Kreuger's Spot maybe

Draper did not do much but what he did was Good. Good Ball User

McMahon and Kelly looked a Mile Off so be awhile before they even get a Look into the AFL Side

Thought Macrare was Very Quiet and not looked like had a Big Impact but had 8 Tackles which is Good.

Just about the best Game I seen Wilson Play today with 4 Goals

Good Win even with the Scumps trying there best to get Box Hill to win.

Box Hill did not give the Killing Blow and we made them Pay

Wilson always projected as a natural forward even from a few years ago in some of the practice matches where he would finish regulation shots on the run with drop punts on his left.

His highlights also showed great aggression towards to the opponent with physicality…another important McRae trait.

Here’s hoping they leave him forward so we can see just what he can really do.
Give him a go forward if that’s the case! How was Cal’s kicking today?

Most of Callow’s marks were up the ground when he was going through the ruck. I was a bit worried early but think that he held up fine
Particularly as we were pushing up high and thus leaving ourselves with some nasty balls to defend. I thought he was solid. I missed the start though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back