Purple_Turtle

Stockholm Syndrome
Oct 12, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Hull City
Since 2018 West Coast have:

• Missed the top 4 in 2019 and knocked out by Geelong in a semifinal.
  • Missed the top 4 in 2020 and knocked out by Collingwood in an elimination final.
  • Missed the 8 in 2021, going 2-7 after the bye.
  • Bottom 4 so far in 2022
How long does Simpson have to turn the ship around before West Coast look for another head coach?

If he is smart he will go to North whilst his currency is still mid way there. If he stays at WC it will be short lived and he won’t get a gig elsewhere. Should go to North whilst he can. He’d be an improvement on Noble, and he would slot into a coaching role of significantly less pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Looks to be in constant agony out there, not in an unhinged way but just drained or tired.

Think a year or two out would do him so good, or take on a job with no expectations / visibility like GC or GWS

Looks to be in constant agony out there, not in an unhinged way but just drained or tired.

Think a year or two out would do him so good, or take on a job with no expectations / visibility like GC or GWS

Gold Coast are on the up though. Dew can get comfortable settling into that role. Suns are finally now in a good position going forward. Really impressed with their style of play. GWS will be up for grabs, probably at the end of this year though which will come too soon for Simpson.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

3 wins, 11 losses since the bye last year. I think that makes them the worst performed team over that stretch.

I expect a few retirements are coming this year.

Simpson and the club will need to decide if he’s going to hang around for what looks like being a pretty long rebuild.

3 wins, 11 losses since the bye last year. I think that makes them the worst performed team over that stretch.

I expect a few retirements are coming this year.

Simpson and the club will need to decide if he’s going to hang around for what looks like being a pretty long rebuild.
Richmond would give them a shake for that title, we were the two dominant teams of the past 5 years, now the bell is tolling for both teams.

Dimma has 3 cups though, so more credit in the bank.

He's a premiership coach with the club so they won't cast him aside lightly I'd have thought.
And Simpson has had mitigation and alibi with the unavailability of key players at regular and prolonged intervals.

The club may not have navigated peak hublife as stoically as some other clubs, and as the club's leader Simpson must carry some responsibility for that outcome whether it's fair on him or not.

I'm not sure of his contract situation, but I'd have thought he gets at least one more season after this to right the ship.

Last edited:
Panned over to him having some pretty intense conversations with Hugh Dixon.

Still seems invested, just in a tough spot and the worst yet to come.

Not a great list to work with either.

bloody hell this is an over-reaction. he got them into a grand final and a flag!!! the list is just old and needs to be rebuilt now. there's not a lot he could do about that.

they need to give him time to rebuild and have another crack at it.

Any coach who wins a premiership deserves the opportunity to have a crack at a rebuild imo

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon unless he turns it around and shows something major in the back half, he is gone. Its not just losing matches because half your best players are sidelined, it was the players clearly couldn't be arsed in the first half. That is on the coach. He's been there for 9 years now, snagged a cup in what was a pretty weak year and hasn't really looked like it since. The message isn't getting through anymore. Simpson should also consider his own position as he still has a reasonable reputation. If he goes on another year or two and things dont turn around, his reputation will be worthless and he'll never be more than an assistant coach at any other club. It would be best for both parties to part ways sooner rather than later.

I would’ve thought the decision would be his if he wants to do the rebuild, he hasn’t shown anything to suggest he isn’t up to it as an AFL coach, irrespective of results in the last 18 months.

I reckon unless he turns it around and shows something major in the back half, he is gone. Its not just losing matches because half your best players are sidelined, it was the players clearly couldn't be arsed in the first half. That is on the coach. He's been there for 9 years now, snagged a cup in what was a pretty weak year and hasn't really looked like it since. The message isn't getting through anymore. Simpson should also consider his own position as he still has a reasonable reputation. If he goes on another year or two and things dont turn around, his reputation will be worthless and he'll never be more than an assistant coach at any other club. It would be best for both parties to part ways sooner rather than later.
2018 wasn’t a weak year, it’s just that the best team choked in the prelim.
A bit like us in 08.
The Eagles are lucky Richmond had an off night.

Simpson should see the beginning of the rebuild.

The Rebuild should be as follows and starts immediately.

Retirements: Hurn, Shuey, Cripps and JK.

Traded: If they trade the following they could get decent draft picks. Yeo, McGovern, Darling (3rd rounder maybe), Ryan (down hill skier not required during a rebuild), Gaff and Sheed.

Delistings: Can’t be bothered listing them all…Nelson, B Williams, Langdon etc

Conclusion: Get what you can for aging stars, build a backline around Barras, Build a fwd line around Allen, draft in talented Midfielders and most importantly draft in a highly touted ruckman (don’t sell the farm for English)

Kelly, Jones and Duggan must be the ones that pave the way for the youngsters coming in and basically cop the beatings while they mature.

If you look back in Eagles history they have only languished bottom 4 between 00,01 and 08 to 10. This will be a little longer but they must get to work possibly with mid season retirements.

He drops young players who perform well for older players who have credits in the bank from 3 years ago. He should go this weekend but can't see it happening. Hopefully he's gone at some point this year but doubt it unless he quits

Yeah for sure wouldn't bother me.
Imo he was the one who would’ve ticked off Simmos contract…

Simmo should have a year or so building the youngsters, taking the losses and then bring in JG or something.

If you sell the farm for English or some big name like Kelly you’ll be in the doldrums for a long time…longer than our exile since we 2015. Part of me wants to see that obviously…but yeah don’t “replum rewire”. Go full rebuild which you should of done post 2020.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back