List Mgmt. 2022 Trade and Free Agency Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I started drafting that bit of the post 3 hours ago and didn't intend for it to see the light of day. Forgot about it totally in rushing to say no thanks to the confirmed racist.

I largely agree though, don't think there will be a KPP on the market who is worth pursuing if we don't retain our own.
Not defending his action at all, but "confirmed racist" is pretty damning. Damn the action, for sure, but damning a person forever based on one event in his past doesn't sit well with me. Especially when by all accounts he was sincere and remorseful. I know I wouldn't want to be forever defined by my worst moments.

I suppose we can't go back forever but Bunton's record is incredible . He won the Magarey or the Brownlow in 6 of the 11 seasons he played. Apart from being runner up a couple of times from memory. He joined the Army in 1942 in the middle of the war . Unthinkable today.

He played cricket against Bradman as a young man and many pundits thought he would've played test cricket had he chosen that.

Could he have been the sort of midfielder we're now looking for ?
I think he was the sort of midfielder anyone would've been looking for at any point.

I suppose we can't go back forever but Bunton's record is incredible . He won the Magarey or the Brownlow in 6 of the 11 seasons he played. Apart from being runner up a couple of times from memory. He joined the Army in 1942 in the middle of the war . Unthinkable today.

He played cricket against Bradman as a young man and many pundits thought he would've played test cricket had he chosen that.

Could he have been the sort of midfielder we're now looking for ?

Got more Brownlow votes than the number of games he played. BuntonRules :thumbsu: .

I think he was the sort of midfielder anyone would've been looking for at any point.
Yeah . I was trying to be a little sarcastic. But not well expressed.

People forget that Bunton won the Brownlow in the first year he played and became a targeted player every week in the Depression era ,an era of very tough players who were angry and committed to taking him down . With no TV vision, replays or any sort of visual evidence of anything not seen by the one central umpire.

So he was one tough cookie himself despite having the reputation as a film star like pretty boy.

It was more that we kept Mato and offloaded Ben.
It's time to get over the Keays thing. He didn't show enough when here, and still has a lot of limitations. Perhaps the 2nd chance is what was needed for his career.

His biggest issues when he got games here was he was sloppy with disposal and wasn't clean. He still isn't, but in a bottom team, his elite work rate stands out. He is a fit for them, just like Matho is a fit for us. We are talking about a position that isn't best 22, Matho seems to have accepted that, I doubt Keays would have.

It's time to get over the Keays thing. He didn't show enough when here, and still has a lot of limitations. Perhaps the 2nd chance is what was needed for his career.

His biggest issues when he got games here was he was sloppy with disposal and wasn't clean. He still isn't, but in a bottom team, his elite work rate stands out. He is a fit for them, just like Matho is a fit for us. We are talking about a position that isn't best 22, Matho seems to have accepted that, I doubt Keays would have.

Matho was contracted at the time, Keays wasn't. You have to create a minimum of 3 list spots each year for draft picks/rookie upgrades. Churn is going to happen every year and sometimes you end up delisting a player who has potential.

Good for Keays, but I can't say I've ever thought he'd hold down a regular spot in our team despite his great form the last few years.

Simple.

I don't agree.

Nor do lots of others.

But I understand your opinion.

I was having a look at the Draft board and as of the ladder now we have a potential first 4 selections at 17, 35, 45 and 71 worth a total of 1923 points... if Ashcroft is bid on at 1 and Fletcher at 20 we will require 3,130 points to match at this stage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was having a look at the Draft board and as of the ladder now we have a potential first 4 selections at 17, 35, 45 and 71 worth a total of 1923 points... if Ashcroft is bid on at 1 and Fletcher at 20 we will require 3,130 points to match at this stage.
Lots of variables.
Ashcroft and Fletcher have to nominate as FS. If so, probably 1,20 are close to worst case scenario.
What is happening with McStay? Possibly end of first round compo if (I hope not) he leaves
Other potential trades either way
I’m hoping we have the nominal 18th pick
Any other first round compos/priority picks, that may push us back
In others words, let’s wait and see how things pan out

I know it happened with JUH but I still think its unlikely that F/S or academy players get bidded on at 1 very often. I think its been clear for a few years that they fall a couple of spots lower than most people think. Teams dont seem to think its worth bidding or really trying to make teams pay a full price

I know it happened with JUH but I still think its unlikely that F/S or academy players get bidded on at 1 very often. I think its been clear for a few years that they fall a couple of spots lower than most people think. Teams dont seem to think its worth bidding or really trying to make teams pay a full price
I hope so but that hasn’t been the case with our last couple academy players, both Coleman boys were bid on quite early. I’d say Darcy was bid on pretty early last season as well. I don’t think clubs bid for the sake of it but I don’t think they will pass on a player just because they are tied to a club either, will just come down to club preference.

Yep, when you think about it if a team bid on Ashcroft at 1 and we matched the player they took at number 2 would probably be a bit miffed knowing he was 2nd choice and could have been the number 1 selection and also picked up the IIRC 10K he would have got from NAB for that honour.

Yep, when you think about it if a team bid on Ashcroft at 1 and we matched the player they took at number 2 would probably be a bit miffed knowing he was 2nd choice and could have been the number 1 selection and also picked up the IIRC 10K he would have got from NAB for that honour.
Was going to say something similar.

you be pissed they cost you $10k and if it is a player going somewhere like North at the moment
They prob not want to piss them off to start with

Pick 18 will be traded out for a heap of later picks, 2nds and 3rds.

By the sounds of it this draft is pretty deep out to about 20-25 so hopefully that pick will hold a bit more value than previous seasons as well.

I’d be looking at the Suns 3 second round picks for our first round pick and future second round pick.

They don’t need a heap of picks this year. Possibly just 3 this year. Two in the first round, then a late pick to match an academy kid (don’t know if they have a kid worth matching this year).

GC will need points next year as they potentially have two or three academy kids worth matching.

Once they have nominated a club, someone else going for them at number one is a dog move. Somewhere after pick five seems a high enough to cost the F/S club, without being a deliberate arse.

Peter feather in his cap Bell might give it a crack, but you would be doing long term damage to the relationship between the clubs. And a lot of clubs seem to value good inter club connections.

Which is an interesting point for people to remember - we need to have open list spots corresponding to the number of live picks we want to count towards Ashcroft and Fletcher.

Some of that may be by delisting and re-listing players, but that's always a risk (cf: Greenwood, Hugh) and we've already been pretty aggressive in doing so with marginal guys already.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back