2022 All Aus Predictions and Rolling teams

Remove this Banner Ad

Don’t know why fans obsess so much about individual players from their clubs winning All Australians.
It’s bad for the long term success of the club in the long run.
Adds about $150k or more per annum onto the contract of players and makes it harder to keep them and shortens the premiership window.
The ideal scenario for a clubs development is that you sneak into contention under the radar without any players valuations getting inflated by AA awards and then keep the list together as long as possible by still not winning too many AA awards.

Dylan Shiel is a good example. Probably a $500k per year player in reality. Snatched an AA in 2017 and suddenly the bombers are paying him $800k for 6 years and Carlton were flying him up to the GC to have caviar with Chris Judd to try get him in to their club for even more! If Dylan didn’t win that award there’s no way he’d be on the contest he is now and the bomber would be far better off.

I’d prefer no up and coming players at freo win AA. Last thing we need is Brennan Cox or Sean Darcy or Alex Pearce etc, out of contract this/next year/the year after with an AA award already to their name looking for stupid money to keep them around and busting our cap.

We have Andy Brayshaw signed up in a 4 year deal till 2026, in almost Brownlow winning form and definitely underpaid (I’d say he’s on about $550k until end of 2025. Greet for freo - bad for Andy.
If Ed Langdon wins his AA and his agent lands into the Dees manager looking for $900k per annum at this next extension for his AA midfielder how is that a win for Melbourne?

FOX FOOTY’S EARLY-SEASON ALL-AUSTRALIAN TEAM
B: Sam Docherty (Carl), Steven May (Melb), James Sicily (Haw)

HB: Jayden Short (Rich), Jacob Weitering (Carl), Tom Stewart (Geel)

C: Ed Langdon (Melb), Patrick Cripps (C) (Carl), Blake Acres (Frem)

HF: Isaac Heeney, (Syd) Tom Hawkins (Geel), Charlie Curnow (Carl)

F: Charlie Cameron (Bris), Tom Lynch (Rich), Shai Bolton (Rich)

R: Max Gawn (VC) (Melb), Lachie Neale (Bris), Christian Petracca (Melb)

INT: Andrew Brayshaw (Frem), Clayton Oliver (Melb), Zac Bailey (Bris), Jack Sinclair (STK)

Don’t know why fans obsess so much about individual players from their clubs winning All Australians.
Adds about $150k or more per annum onto the contract of players and makes it harder to keep them and shortens the premiership window.
The ideal scenario for a clubs development is that you sneak into contention under the radar without any players valuations getting inflated by AA awards and then keep the list together as long as possible by still not winning too many AA awards.

Dylan Shiel is a good example. Probably a $500k per year player in reality. Snatched an AA in 2017 and suddenly the bombers are paying him $800k for 6 years and Carlton were flying him up to the GC to have caviar with Chris Judd to try get him in to their club for even more! If Dylan didn’t win that award there’s no way he’d be on the contest he is now and the bomber would be far better off.

I’d prefer no up and coming players at freo win AA. Last thing we need is Brennan Cox or Sean Darcy or Alex Pearce etc, out of contract this/next year/the year after with an AA award already to their name looking for stupid money to keep them around and busting our cap.

We have Andy Brayshaw signed up in a 4 year deal till 2026, in almost Brownlow winning form and definitely underpaid (I’d say he’s on about $550k until end of 2025. Greet for freo - bad for Andy.
If Ed Langdon wins his AA and his agent lands into the Dees manager looking for $900k per annum at this next extension for his AA midfielder how is that a win for Melbourne?
Pretty interesting take.

I think this underestimates the intelligence of football clubs in many ways.

Clubs and list managers are aware of what a player offers and how good they are or not (and therefore what they're worth) - they don't need the AA selectors to tell them. An All Australian level season will definitely add $$ to contract - but that is not whether they get selected or just miss out - that is a by product of how they have performed (rather than if they are officially recognised or not).

Dylan Shiel was not sought after simply because he was AA. He was sought after due to the season he had, the role he played and his age. Whether he got selected AA (or was just in the squad) made no difference.

There are a couple of clubs that incentivise contracts with performance based clauses that may include AA. In those circumstances your point is valid. Most clubs don't do that though - if there are performance based incentives, they are not usually tied to AA (as that is ridiculously arbitrary (and can promote self-based rather than team based play)). AA has significance in the value of a player in the eyes of casual fans but I don't think list managers are checking the number of AA guernseys when working out what a player is worth to their club.

Simple.
It’s a team sport not an individual one.
You would swap every AA and Coleman and Brownlow Carlton have won in the last 25 years for another flag, in a heartbeat.

Yes but they’re not mutually exclusive are they.

And the post which said ‘this underestimates the intelligence of football clubs’ is spot on.

Yes it looks nice on a CV to have an agent go to a club and say ‘look at this he’s an AA, bump his pay.’

The club aren’t just going to go ‘oh holy s**t he’s right we’d better throw another $200k at him.’ They will analyse if his AA selection was related to an increase in output or a decrease in the quality of others in his position, put incentives in his deal: ok if you can maintain that output we will give you a pay rise.’

There’s no gun to a club’s head saying they have to pay x-amount because someone gets a selection.

Do you really think we are paying Cam Guthrie an extra few hundred thousand because he was selected two years ago?

Yes but they’re not mutually exclusive are they.

And the post which said ‘this underestimates the intelligence of football clubs’ is spot on.

Yes it looks nice on a CV to have an agent go to a club and say ‘look at this he’s an AA, bump his pay.’

The club aren’t just going to go ‘oh holy s**t he’s right we’d better throw another $200k at him.’ They will analyse if his AA selection was related to an increase in output or a decrease in the quality of others in his position, put incentives in his deal: ok if you can maintain that output we will give you a pay rise.’

There’s no gun to a club’s head saying they have to pay x-amount because someone gets a selection.

Do you really think we are paying Cam Guthrie an extra few hundred thousand because he was selected two years ago?
What about the Shiel example? Why is he earning money that nowhere near his output? The AA would definitely have been a factor there

What about the Shiel example? Why is he earning money that nowhere near his output? The AA would definitely have been a factor there
In fairness to the Bombers, Shiel was really rated quite highly at the Giants. It probably helped being part of a great midfield and constantly bein fed the ball to use his burst pace to break lines.

He's definitely not the same player now, but a lot of that is to do with not having the right fit at the Bombers.

Because he was a gun the year he earned that pay packet.

That he’s not earning it now isn’t to do with his AA selection. Sure it wouldn’t have hurt but they wouldn’t have gone ‘shouldn’t we look at some footage and numbers first before we sign him?’ ‘Nah just see if he made the AA side.’

It wouldn’t hurt your chances of a pay increase but I don’t think it would have near the effect that the player’s actual physical improvement would have.

He's playing like 2017 dusty

I know it was Essendon but had a laugh he had 13 tackles alone, the useless duds that are named Essendon had 30 together for the game lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

INT: Andrew Brayshaw (Frem), Clayton Oliver (Melb), Zac Bailey (Bris), Jack Sinclair (STK)

OUT: Heeney (via Bailey to half forward), Acres
IN: Mills, Touk Miller (via Stewart or Sinclair to the wing, where they've both hand stints this year)

Other than that, probably the best mid-season one I've seen from them in a while

OUT: Heeney (via Bailey to half forward), Acres
IN: Mills, Touk Miller (via Stewart or Sinclair to the wing, where they've both hand stints this year)

Other than that, probably the best mid-season one I've seen from them in a while

A bit too Melbourne centric for me (16/22).

Definitely agree with Miller coming in.

The defence needs strengthening and the two Blues are vulnerable. T McCartin or Collins (GoCo) to replace Weitering and one of the miserly Freo crew to replace Docherty.

I am biased but prefer Buddy as third forward ahead of Curnow. Not so much for the goals as for the score involvements (his field kicking inc I50 has been pretty useful) and the inevitable double teaming he attracts. The old fella is still capable of turning a game on its head - eg crazy 3rdQ burst v Brisbane.

Speaking of oldies Mundy would be in the Squad and knocking on the door. Is it possible to be better at 37 than 27? I doubt any player understands the game better than this bloke.

The defence needs strengthening and the two Blues are vulnerable. T McCartin or Collins (GoCo) to replace Weitering and one of the miserly Freo crew to replace Docherty.

I am biased but prefer Buddy as third forward ahead of Curnow. Not so much for the goals as for the score involvements (his field kicking inc I50 has been pretty useful) and the inevitable double teaming he attracts. The old fella is still capable of turning a game on its head - eg crazy 3rdQ burst v Brisbane.

Speaking of oldies Mundy would be in the Squad and knocking on the door. Is it possible to be better at 37 than 27? I doubt any player understands the game better than this bloke.

Can't agree with Buddy over Curnow - he has been the best forward in the comp for the last 5-6 rounds. Docherty has been close to the best rebounding defender in the comp since his return. Weitering I'm not so sure on and he's vulnerable (would have Pearce in over him), and Mundy wouldn't even be close to the squad. Has come back pretty sub par compared to his elite season last year. Brayshaw, Acres and Serong are the main guys at Freo now.

Can't agree with Buddy over Curnow - he has been the best forward in the comp for the last 5-6 rounds. Weitering I'm not so sure on and he's vulnerable, and Mundy wouldn't even be close to the squad. Has come back pretty sub par compared to his elite season last year. Brayshaw, Acres and Serong are the main guys now

As I said I am biased esp re Mundy and of course you are right.

Maybe we should have an AA vets team like the U22 22.

As I said I am biased esp re Mundy and of course you are right.

Re: the Vic-centric part, it'll change as the season goes on, but you also have to remember that there's only really 4 interstate sides now that are having good years- Brisbane, Freo, GC and Sydney.

Port have picked it up the last few rounds, but had a shocking start to the year. Adelaide started well but fell off a cliff. West Coast are so far off the cliff they're drowning in the ocean and GWS have been hopeless despite all their talent. Only the first 4 sides have players worth picking, and maybe Port will get 1 or 2 by the end of year if they improve (Wines, Houston, Rozee etc.)

surprised this Blues hater didn't try to push out Cripps also 😂

collins deserves a spot over weitering

for the past few years theyve liked having a ruckman on the bench. witts is the obvious candidate for that. i think hes fairly close to challenging for the first ruck spot over gawn. having a great season. i would probably replace brayshaw with him - feel like if they wanted to have another inside mid over a ruck mills should get the nod.

angus brayshaw over jayden short

Don't know who gets booted from the backline to make way for Angus Brayshaw and don't care either.
One of them Carlton players probably.

Don't know who gets booted from the backline to make way for Angus Brayshaw and don't care either.
One of them Carlton players probably.

Both Docherty and Weitering are absolute morals

Remove this Banner Ad

Back