List Mgmt. 2022 List Management: Draft, Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hayden Young and Caleb Serong signing extensions are a big part of locking in that future before we go and buy external talent.

Hayden Young and Caleb Serong signing extensions are a big part of locking in that future before we go and buy external talent.
When's my boy Chappy locked in until?

What rate do you think Hayden would be locked in for if it’s a 4 year deal?
I’d be guessing something like $550-$600k per annum from the 2024-2027? He’s probably earning $350-400k per annum this year and next year I’d have thought.
It’s good business for the club if young breaks out into an elite half back over the next year or two.

In the 8 years from draft to free agency, if the players extends in 2 year increments, by the end of year 6 they are normally well established and clubs end up paying more for them in year 7 & 8 than if they are signed up long term before they have reached a peak (like we have done with Andy and now Hayden).
Let’s say for example Andy only extended for 2 years instead of 4 when he last signed on, and he was out of contract in end of 2023 instead of 2025, we would have to pay some pretty big $$$ to keep him on for 2024 and 2025 given the level he’s playing at now.

What rate do you think Hayden would be locked in for if it’s a 4 year deal?
I’d be guessing something like $550-$600k per annum from the 2024-2027? He’s probably earning $350-400k per annum this year and next year I’d have thought.
It’s good business for the club if young breaks out into an elite half back over the next year or two.

In the 8 years from draft to free agency, if the players extends in 2 year increments, by the end of year 6 they are normally well established and clubs end up paying more for them in year 7 & 8 than if they are signed up long term before they have reached a peak (like we have done with Andy and now Hayden).
Let’s say for example Andy only extended for 2 years instead of 4 when he last signed on, and he was out of contract in end of 2023 instead of 2025, we would have to pay some pretty big $$$ to keep him on for 2024 and 2025 given the level he’s playing at now.

That would be around the mark, perhaps with more in the final year to ensure he is in the top nine or ten paid players in the side in that year to make him a restricted free agent - but I suspect that $550 to $600 would achieve that.

Logue is a required player just needs to stand in line, til those in front sort out the $ available
I agree with this. I feel like signing young and Serong holds the key to unlocking other players deals over the coming years.
Get both of those guys tied away on 4 year deals till 2027 and all of a sudden the salary cap position looks a lot clearer.
Sean Darcy would be the next domino to fall after that but I think he’s still contracted for 2 more years after this to the end of 2024. His big payday come from 2024 - 2028/29, and I suspect he will seek a 5 year deal at pretty decent money to commit to Fremantle for the rest of his career.
Luke Ryan, Brennan Cox and possible Logue if he signs a 2 year extension, will be in the same position at the same time.

Logue is a required player just needs to stand in line, til those in front sort out the $ available

I agree with this. I feel like signing young and Serong holds the key to unlocking other players deals over the coming years.
Get both of those guys tied away on 4 year deals till 2027 and all of a sudden the salary cap position looks a lot clearer.
Sean Darcy would be the next domino to fall after that but I think he’s still contracted for 2 more years after this to the end of 2024. His big payday come from 2024 - 2028/29, and I suspect he will seek a 5 year deal at pretty decent money to commit to Fremantle for the rest of his career.
Luke Ryan, Brennan Cox and possible Logue if he signs a 2 year extension, will be in the same position at the same time.
Still also think that logue will have wait til later in the year. Depending on incoming players is the difference between an extra 100k in his packet.

I'll leave you to do the research on Richmond's trading but I don't see players in trades as losses. For Geelong, Kelly has effectively become Cameron. For WC Judd became their greatest forward. You may remember the Croad trade.

Most on here see our list as having it's greatest depth and upside ever, and trading good players has been essential to that. Reverse trades for the players who are at the club and I doubt we are as well off.

Yes, yes I do remember the Croad trade. Not sure that can be used as a demonstration of Freo's trading prowess.

Can you imagine adding Cerra and Neale to our best 22 right now? We've made some good trades but trading players starting to come into their peak for a bag of magic beans is peak Freo of the past.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, yes I do remember the Croad trade. Not sure that can be used as a demonstration of Freo's trading prowess.

Can you imagine adding Cerra and Neale to our best 22 right now? We've made some good trades but trading players starting to come into their peak for a bag of magic beans is peak Freo of the past.

We didn't really choose to trade either of those guys. Neale left because he hated Lyon, Cerra wanted to go home.

The Croad trade also included Luke McPharlin as a sweetener who ended up being one of Freo's greatest ever players, a fact that people who criticise Freo for this trade always overlook.

If they want to criticise a trade it should be the trades we made for McCarthy, Bennell or Hogan.

Not a rumour confirmed he broke it at a “Freo night spot” punching someone.
Last year, a week after he did his leg, was on the beer in the Souths Members watching the league in a moon boot. Leave alone me thinks.
Spot on. I was a big fan of his but he killed any chance he had with these silly decisions. Put a fork in him for the time being.

I’ve warmed to the idea of Strom. I don’t really know why but I think he can be a good stop gap for 3 years.

Very fit, very versatile - 198cm, 104kg, 12/02/1994

His performances in the finals last year is what moved him into draft possibility.

A mobile forward who can help in the ruck forward of centre.

Otherwise we’ll go for someone unexpected from the VFL or SANFL who Walls has had on his radar for a while.

We didn't really choose to trade either of those guys. Neale left because he hated Lyon, Cerra wanted to go home.

The Croad trade also included Luke McPharlin as a sweetener who ended up being one of Freo's greatest ever players, a fact that people who criticise Freo for this trade always overlook.

If they want to criticise a trade it should be the trades we made for McCarthy, Bennell or Hogan.
Still remember McPharlin crying as he came off Subi with his family after the 2015 prelim loss. Don’t think he would have got up for the next week if Freo had made it. That prelim still haunts me.

The McCarthy trade got us Logue, Darcy & Ryan for Taranto. I think we're miles infront so you need to remove his name off your criticise list.

Most of our other trades not listed are so good (mainly with GC), one or 2 misses aren't really the end of the world as they are not only cancelled out, but improved on.

The McCarthy trade got us Logue, Darcy & Ryan for Taranto. I think we're miles infront so you need to remove his name off your criticise list.

Most of our other trades not listed are so good (mainly with GC), one or 2 misses aren't really the end of the world as they are not only cancelled out, but improved on.
McCarthy trade worked out well because he sat out a year and he had some issues. The deal worked for them because they got a pick in before their academy player.

We got a bunch of picks and worked out quite well because that draft batted quite deep and we ended up with the likes of Cox, Darcy and Ryan. Logue is also coming good after being held back in his development due to injuries.

As for Hogan and Bennell. Both were failed trades due to off field issues and injuries. Hogan carried his injuries to GWS. Bennell could barely get on the park. Both made dumb decisions whilst off injured. Those sorts of higher risk trades can’t involve a first round pick. I realise Bennell was a late first round and we ended up Tucker but the GCS played picked up was Fiorini from memory who is a fast winger and goes alright.

Seems we have finally learnt our lesson and we should never again trade an early pick for high risk but talented players. I can cope with losing a second or third but not a first.

The worst trade we've ever done and hopefully will ever do was the Hogan trade. Essentially giving up Ben King and and a 2nd round pick for nothing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back