Review Geelong banks 4 points V WC b y 18 points

Remove this Banner Ad

We need to stop kicking it deep forward to a pack if Hawkins is the only tall option.

We all know that Hawk won't jump at it anymore.
Tomahawk is fantastic one on one and on the lead but I wish he would try harder to make a contest the times the ball isn't delivered to his liking. Sometimes he complains about being scragged as the ball comes in and essentially takes himself out of the contest. With the dangerous small forwards like Stengle and Close it's even more important.

I was at the game today, and the Miers hate is a little unfounded.

In the final term he cannoned into packs both in the air and on the ground, halved a lot of important contests.
Yes, but seven disposals and one tackle for the game. His first halves have been very poor. He needs to play more than one good quarter (or half) a game.

The game against Adelaide looks like an outlier of his year so far.

Tomahawk is fantastic one on one and on the lead but I wish he would try harder to make a contest the times the ball isn't delivered to his liking. Sometimes he complains about being scragged as the ball comes in and essentially takes himself out of the contest. With the dangerous small forwards like Stengle and Close it's even more important.
Deficiency in his game for sure, but perhaps has contributed to his longevity?
Back injury changed his approach
‘Man’s got to know his limitations’
(Plus he sometimes plays like a whiny schoolboy)

I don't know what more we can expect out of Tom.
Huge returns from a guy carrying a chronic back injury, and keeping his feet to provide longevity.
Have seen him beaten to the ball, but never seen him take himself out of a contest.
He just can't win them all.

Midfield badly needs help. Pretty sure Eagles or North are only teams you are beating with that midfield.

Danger, Holmes, Parfitt and Menegola getting some touch….will it be enough?

At least Miers and Dahlhaus were unspeakably awful and we won, so hopefully our best side is becoming clearer.

Well played close and Stengle. Isaac Smith also very influential.
Rioli and Darling were the main offenders in being overly aggressive…it was a good practice run for what to expect next week
Rioli must have taken some angry pills before the match. They wore off after half time. He had a bad game. He's a gun when he focuses on playing football, so Cats dodged a bullet there.

i thought Mark o'connor looked the best he has in a while

There's an attitude / focus problem within the playing group somehow / somewhere.

We bring today's approach against the Tigers / Dees / Blues and we could go 3 zip.
I strongly strongly disagree that attitude was any sort of problem today, our skills weren't as sharp as you'd like.. We really let them hang around more than they should by not finishing as well as we should early..
But it was just an untidy game on a heavy deck, against a side we never looked like losing against.

And given the carnage of the weekend so far you happily take the win and move on.

We aren't a top top side, we have our ups and downs, getting a win on a sloppy or down day is a massive result in a tight season

Unironically heavy training load? :grinv1:

GEELONG coach Chris Scott is hopeful a heavy mid-season training block will prime his team to be at its best "when it counts", declaring the risk of falling away in the short-term is worth taking.

Scott gave context to the performance post-match when he said the team had ramped up its mid-season program significantly as part of a bigger plan to peak during September.

"It's what we do during the middle period of the year. We double down, even more than we might have done in previous years," Scott said.

"We might cost ourselves a little short-term, but we set up our program to be at our best when it counts.

"If we finish ninth because we try to prime ourselves to be at our best later in the year, then we'll live with that.

"We haven't been able to execute that over the last few years anyway. That's a reason to do it better."

Also kudos to the Eagles 92 side, with all the chemicals they "allegedly" had running through them in their playing days it's actually incredible that so many of them are still alive and were there today

:whistle:

Cats forward structure seriously needs a Plan B.
It was evident by midway of Q1 that Hawkins was getting double teamed.
While their mid field congested our F50. Forcing Hawkins to lead wide.
A common tactic used by Tigers, Blues and Dees.
It was critical that kicks to Hawkins must be to his advantage.
Instead, too many high lobs that were easily intercepted, starting their rebound game.
Never taking a few extra steps and kicking for goal for a change.
We needed another tall forward (Neale) to draw a defender and at least bring the ball to ground.
Also missing was fast leading Rohan/Danger able to contest in the air and exert defensive pressure.
Instead we had Dahlhaus and Miers that cannot contest in the air nor threated the scoreboard.
What did these two bring to the team? I would prefer to play aerialist Ollie.
Attention Stephen Wells : Aussie Rules is a game played in the air, recruit accordingly.
How about stationing a long kicking player Duncan/Tuohy near the 50m arc?
How about trying SDK forward for a change?
A non functioning forward line has been a reoccurring finals problem.
Slowing the tempo only increased our scoring difficulty... stop it.
I expect the coaching brains trust to fix this forward problem.
The return of Danger Rohan Parfitt Holmes and Henry and same old, won't fix it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I strongly strongly disagree that attitude was any sort of problem today, our skills weren't as sharp as you'd like.. We really let them hang around more than they should by not finishing as well as we should early..
But it was just an untidy game on a heavy deck, against a side we never looked like losing against.

And given the carnage of the weekend so far you happily take the win and move on.

We aren't a top top side, we have our ups and downs, getting a win on a sloppy or down day is a massive result in a tight season
Exactly, and we continue with our consistent form this year.

Yes, but seven disposals and one tackle for the game. His first halves have been very poor. He needs to play more than one good quarter (or half) a game.

The game against Adelaide looks like an outlier of his year so far.

He works hard but stengle has clearly passed him as our first choice small (different roles admittedly) and he is probably close to the edge of missing the 23 (along with stephens and dahl and zuthrie) when the injured guys return.

The stats show Kolodjashnij got 8 disposals at 88% efficiency including 5 turnovers? Something doesn't add up.
I thought Kola was putrid today, granted though it wasn't all his fault, he got the ball in quick situations a couple of times and he really isn't capable of thinking quick enough in those situations to be able to instantly dispose of it

I thought Kola was putrid today, granted though it wasn't all his fault, he got the ball in quick situations a couple of times and he really isn't capable of thinking quick enough in those situations to be able to instantly dispose of it

His worst game of the year.
Has been good this year, so I'll take it as a mulligan.
Get a match conditioned & sound Henry back, and our key backs of Kolo, SDK & Henry is a good blend.

How are we not a top side when we're in the top 4 and 1 game off top spot after 14 rounds?

My point is what I said.... you said you were going to win by 10 goals

I certainly felt we'd win by at least 9 goals and when I looked up the score at halftime, I thought we were going to get beaten. Checked the score again with about 10 minutes remaining and saw we only held a 2 goal lead. Still thought we'd get overrun so to actually win the game, one we would usually lose in similar situations, it's actually better than expected.

Stengle looks to have played another good game. That is probably the most pleasing part. We now have a legitimate small forward playing consistently. I don't even think we need to play Rohan or Dahlhaus anymore. Stengle is very likely to produce some consistency come finals time and that is precisely what we have been missing for years now.

Who cares....too much focus on other posters...the Thread appears to suggest a focus on the WCE game...

Lets stick to that please.

Wish this applied to other regulars as well.

Cats forward structure seriously needs a Plan B.
It was evident by midway of Q1 that Hawkins was getting double teamed.
While their mid field congested our F50. Forcing Hawkins to lead wide.
A common tactic used by Tigers, Blues and Dees.
It was critical that kicks to Hawkins must be to his advantage.
Instead, too many high lobs that were easily intercepted, starting their rebound game.
Never taking a few extra steps and kicking for goal for a change.
We needed another tall forward (Neale) to draw a defender and at least bring the ball to ground.
Also missing was fast leading Rohan/Danger able to contest in the air and exert defensive pressure.
Instead we had Dahlhaus and Miers that cannot contest in the air nor threated the scoreboard.
What did these two bring to the team? I would prefer to play aerialist Ollie.
Attention Stephen Wells : Aussie Rules is a game played in the air, recruit accordingly.
How about stationing a long kicking player Duncan/Tuohy near the 50m arc?
How about trying SDK forward for a change?
A non functioning forward line has been a reoccurring finals problem.
Slowing the tempo only increased our scoring difficulty... stop it.
I expect the coaching brains trust to fix this forward problem.
The return of Danger Rohan Parfitt Holmes and Henry and same old, won't fix it.
SDK forward is not the answer. I agree the return of Danger and Co won't solve Geelong's problems but it will help improve the quality of the bottom 3 or 4 players. SDK, Stengle and Close have improved our best 22. Atkins has been good in the middle, just need to find another midfielder or 2. Holmes and a refreshed DF could help. Like Ling and Gullen from the podcast I haven't given up on Narkle but his time is running out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back